* VDPAU DEINTERLACE
@ 2016-05-05  5:12 poma
       [not found] ` <572AD63E.5070703-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: poma @ 2016-05-05  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

NVIDIA G98
mesa-dri-drivers-11.2.1-2.20160501.fc22.x86_64
(incl. mesa commit 38fcf7c)

vdpauinfo | grep -i deint
DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL             y
DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL     -

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/vdpau/libvdpau/tree/include/vdpau/vdpau.h#n3420
#define VDP_VIDEO_MIXER_FEATURE_DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL         ((VdpVideoMixerFeature)0)
/**
 * \hideinitializer
 * \brief A VdpVideoMixerFeature.
 *
 * When requested and enabled, this enables a more advanced
 * version of temporal de-interlacing, that additionally uses
 * edge-guided spatial interpolation.
 *
 * When multiple de-interlacing options are requested and
 * enabled, the back-end implementation chooses the best
 * algorithm to apply.
 */
#define VDP_VIDEO_MIXER_FEATURE_DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL ((VdpVideoMixerFeature)1)
/**
 * \hideinitializer
 * \brief A VdpVideoMixerFeature.
 *
 * When requested and enabled, cadence detection will be enabled
 * on interlaced content and the video mixer will try to extract
 * progressive frames from pull-down material.
 */

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/vdpau/libvdpau/tree/include/vdpau/vdpau.h#n606
 * \subsection deint_adv Advanced De-interlacing
 *
 * Operation of both temporal and temporal-spatial de-interlacing is
 * identical; the only difference is the internal processing the algorithm
 * performs in generating the output frame.
 *

man 1 mplayer
vdpau (X11 only)
deint=<-4-4>
       Select deinterlacing mode (default: -3). Positive  values
       choose mode and enable deinterlacing. Corresponding nega‐
       tive values select the same deinterlacing  mode,  but  do
       not enable deinterlacing on startup (useful in configura‐
       tion files to specify what mode will be  enabled  by  the
       "D" key). All modes respect --field-dominance.

       0      same as -3

       1      Show only first field, similar to --vf=field.

       2      Bob deinterlacing, similar to --vf=tfields=1.

       3      motion  adaptive  temporal deinterlacing. May lead
              to A/V desync with slow video hardware and/or high
              resolution.

       4      motion   adaptive   temporal   deinterlacing  with
              edge-guided  spatial  interpolation.  Needs   fast
              video hardware.

Reading all this, am I correctly concluded,
what is supported within NVIDIA G98 HW is DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL,
which should be engaged with Mplayer's 'vdpau:deint=4' option?

Then again, what DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL represents?
As reading the 'vdpauinfo' output it should not be supported.
Is it associated with Mplayer's 'vdpau:deint=3' option,
which in turn works, so to speak?

mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=[34] -vc ffmpeg12vdpau dvb://2@DVBT

Although they achieve solid deinterlacing result,
vdpau:deint=3 and vdpau:deint=4 tend to produce:

* Re: VDPAU DEINTERLACE
       [not found] ` <572AD63E.5070703-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-05-09 17:37   ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]     ` <CAKb7UvhaNdY9ebfKyHQ8Q83u3B1ihX9qCWX7CiHfZ=PJb8etOA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2016-05-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Mesa only supports the non-spatial temporal deinterlace (deint=3). I'm
guessing that due to some unfortunate issues, you're no longer getting
hw accelerated video decoding. Check in vdpauinfo to make sure that
it's indeed showing the relevant codec as supported. If not, you can
turn that back on by updating to mesa 11.2.2, or downgrading your
kernel to 4.2 or earlier. (The issue only affects G98 and MCP77/MCP79
IGPs.)

If you are, in fact, getting hw video decoding acceleration, then it
could be that your GPU is clocked too low. You could attempt
reclocking to a higher pstate and seeing what happens.

  -ilia

@ 2016-05-09 18:42       ` poma
       [not found]         ` <5730DA04.3020507-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: poma @ 2016-05-09 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 09.05.2016 19:37, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> Mesa only supports the non-spatial temporal deinterlace (deint=3). I'm
> guessing that due to some unfortunate issues, you're no longer getting
> hw accelerated video decoding. Check in vdpauinfo to make sure that
> it's indeed showing the relevant codec as supported. If not, you can
> turn that back on by updating to mesa 11.2.2, or downgrading your
> kernel to 4.2 or earlier. (The issue only affects G98 and MCP77/MCP79
> IGPs.)

With the -Mplayer- vdpau decoding works, at least with the -progressive- scan type,
-interlaced- scan type (DVBT-576i/1080i) is questionable,
especially when runs within vlc or xine, even without vdpau deinterlacer,
Xorg crash dump, satisfaction guarantee.

$ vdpauinfo
display: :0.0   screen: 0
API version: 1
Information string: G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0

Decoder capabilities:

name                        level macbs width height
MPEG1                           0 16384  2048  2048
MPEG2_SIMPLE                    3 16384  2048  2048
MPEG2_MAIN                      3 16384  2048  2048
H264_BASELINE                  41 16384  2048  2048
H264_MAIN                      41 16384  2048  2048
H264_HIGH                      41 16384  2048  2048
VC1_SIMPLE                      1 16384  2048  2048
VC1_MAIN                        2 16384  2048  2048
VC1_ADVANCED                    4 16384  2048  2048
MPEG4_PART2_SP                 --- not supported ---

Video mixer:

feature name                    sup
------------------------------------
DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL             y
DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL     -
INVERSE_TELECINE                 -
NOISE_REDUCTION                  y
SHARPNESS                        y
LUMA_KEY                         -

> If you are, in fact, getting hw video decoding acceleration, then it
> could be that your GPU is clocked too low. You could attempt
> reclocking to a higher pstate and seeing what happens.

# nvclock --speeds
Memory clock: 399.600 MHz
GPU clock: 612.000 MHz

# nvclock --info
Performance level 0: gpu 567MHz/shader 1400MHz/memory 400MHz/100%

$ dmesg -t | grep pstate
Kernel command line: ... nouveau.pstate=1 ...
nouveau: unknown parameter 'pstate' ignored
-4.5.2-

Is there a room for reinforcement, or
NVIDIA G98 DEINTERLACER: ability without capability, i.e. underpowered GPU?

@ 2016-05-09 18:45           ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]             ` <CAKb7Uvgv2keE2wxUAdKQhYjo5eQrZZxW_jxqZCbQwRGy-u4Now-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2016-05-09 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

You can try playing with pstate in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate

@ 2016-05-09 18:55               ` poma
From: poma @ 2016-05-09 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 09.05.2016 20:45, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> You can try playing with pstate in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate

# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate
0f: core 567 MHz shader 1400 MHz memory 400 MHz
AC: core 566 MHz shader 1400 MHz memory 399 MHz

±1 MHz :)