* Errors with Sun StorageTek STK RAID INT (Adaptec ASR-5805) with EL 8.6 driver?
@ 2022-10-12  1:51 Tom Spettigue
From: Tom Spettigue @ 2022-10-12  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1763 bytes --]

Hey all -

We have an older Sun Microsystems SunFire x4250 server with one of Sun's
STK RAID INT, a rebadged Adaptec ASR-5805 (Cougar) RAID HBA that takes
the aacraid driver, and I'm getting all kinds of errors with it in Alma
Linux 8.6. I have performed hardware tests of both the server's memory
(it passed a weekend of memtest86+ runs of 24 passes) as well as all 16
of our Sun-branded HGST 900 GB 10k RPM SAS drives (using Seagate's
SeaTools Bootable, all 16 passed S.M.A.R.T. checks as well as short and
long drive self-tests), and all pass with flying colors across multiple
runs of every test.

I nonetheless am getting all kinds of errors on my Alma Linux 8.6
install with that dd-aacraid-1.2.1-7.el8_6.elrepo.iso driver obtained
from https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el8/x86_64/. I don't know if that's
the wrong driver or what, but I get basically one session of usable
Linux, and once I reboot, I get all kinds of errors - see here:

https://imgur.com/a/qt2anw3

/dev/sda is a simple, two-drive RAID-1 array - and I have tested now
four different drives in that array in varying combinations, and I get
these errors in all of them. I even swapped out our Sun STK RAID INT
(Cougar) RAID HBA for another one of the same make/model, and got the
same errors. Neither the Adaptec RAID BIOS reports any problems with the
arrays, nor does SeaTools - so I'm increasingly disinclined to believe
that any of our drives are bad, I'm starting to think this is some kind
of configuration problem, or some kind of driver problem with the
dd-aacraid-1.2.1-7.el8_6.elrepo.iso aacraid driver that I'm using. :P

Any ideas?

--
Tom Spettigue
Staff Engineer

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Errors with Sun StorageTek STK RAID INT (Adaptec ASR-5805) with EL 8.6 driver?
@ 2022-10-12 20:29 ` Tom Spettigue
From: Tom Spettigue @ 2022-10-12 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2473 bytes --]

Some of the errors I've been getting:

[  899.895139] print_req_error: 75 callbacks suppressed
[  899.895144] blk_update_reqeuest: I/O error, dev sda, sector 136364232
op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x3000 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
[  899.898353] EXT4-fs warning: 5 callbacks suppressed
[  899.898538] EXT4-fs warning (device dm-0):
htree_dirblock_to_tree:984: inode #3409691: lblock 0: comm
systemd-tmpfile -5 reading directory block

Obviously, I am using EXT4 for our filesystem as opposed to the native
XFS of RHEL 8-based distros - possible that the driver doesn't play as
nice with that?

--

@ 2022-10-12 18:03 Tom Spettigue
From: Tom Spettigue @ 2022-10-12 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)