* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08  1:48 Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-08  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I can't seem to apply one of my created patches after trying for the last hour.
This is what is popping up, if anybody can tell me is wrong that would be great.
sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
file or directory
sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
file or directory
sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
file or directory
Patch does not have a valid e-mail address.
Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08  1:52 ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-08-08  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Seems like something is messed up. Try 'git rebase --abort' and see if
that helps you.

And don't try to get that patch merged upstream.

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 3:48 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't seem to apply one of my created patches after trying for the last hour.
> This is what is popping up, if anybody can tell me is wrong that would be great.
> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
> file or directory
> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
> file or directory
> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
> file or directory
> Patch does not have a valid e-mail address.
> Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08  1:58   ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-08  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Kristofer Hallin
<kristofer.hallin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like something is messed up. Try 'git rebase --abort' and see if
> that helps you.
>
> And don't try to get that patch merged upstream.
>
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 3:48 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't seem to apply one of my created patches after trying for the last hour.
>> This is what is popping up, if anybody can tell me is wrong that would be great.
>> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
>> file or directory
>> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
>> file or directory
>> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
>> file or directory
>> Patch does not have a valid e-mail address.
>> Nick

That was fast, thanks I will try that see if works. I am banned from
the LKML for now,
just telling you up front so you will have to send it in for me, let's
just state I was not
listening. :)
Nick
P.S. Listening to The Wall seems to great for listening to well programming.

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08  1:59     ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-08  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Kristofer Hallin
> <kristofer.hallin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seems like something is messed up. Try 'git rebase --abort' and see if
>> that helps you.
>>
>> And don't try to get that patch merged upstream.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 3:48 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I can't seem to apply one of my created patches after trying for the last hour.
>>> This is what is popping up, if anybody can tell me is wrong that would be great.
>>> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
>>> file or directory
>>> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
>>> file or directory
>>> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
>>> file or directory
>>> Patch does not have a valid e-mail address.
>>> Nick

> That was fast, thanks I will try that see if works. I am banned from
> the LKML for now,
> just telling you up front so you will have to send it in for me, let's
> just state I was not
> listening. :)
> Nick
> P.S. Listening to The Wall seems to great for listening to well programming.
Tried that and states there is no rebase in process.
Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08  2:00 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-08  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 21:48:54 -0400, Nick Krause said:

> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
> file or directory

It usually helps if you give the actual command that you were trying to do.

You didn't do this on top of a linux-next tree that you did a 'git pull' to
update, did you?

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 21:48:54 -0400, Nick Krause said:
>
>> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
>> file or directory
>
> It usually helps if you give the actual command that you were trying to do.
>
> You didn't do this on top of a linux-next tree that you did a 'git pull' to
> update, did you?

No I just pulled it down and didn't do anything else, is that bad practice and I
should have used git fetch instead?
Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08  2:18     ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-08-08  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Aug 8, 2014 7:32 AM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 21:48:54 -0400, Nick Krause said:
> >
> >> sed: can't read /home/nick/linux-next/.git/rebase-apply/info: No such
> >> file or directory
> >
> > It usually helps if you give the actual command that you were trying to
do.

> > You didn't do this on top of a linux-next tree that you did a 'git
pull' to
> > update, did you?
> >
> No I just pulled it down and didn't do anything else, is that bad
practice and I
> should have used git fetch instead?
> Nick

can you please post the git commands that you have used to initialize the
git and how did you pulled it down and how are you syncing with linux-next
tree??
and ofcourse what command you are using to apply the patch , the folder
where the patch is and the the folder where linux-next tree and also
mention your cwd when you are trying to apply the patch.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08  2:25       ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-08  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM, Sudip Mukherjee
<sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2014 7:32 AM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It usually helps if you give the actual command that you were trying to
>> > do.
>> >
>> > You didn't do this on top of a linux-next tree that you did a 'git pull'
>> > update, did you?
>> >
>> No I just pulled it down and didn't do anything else, is that bad practice
>> and I
>> should have used git fetch instead?
>> Nick
>>

> can you please post the git commands that you have used to initialize the
> git and how did you pulled it down and how are you syncing with linux-next
> tree??
> and ofcourse what command you are using to apply the patch , the folder
> where the patch is and the the folder where linux-next tree and also mention
> your cwd when you are trying to apply the patch.

Sure here they are
1. git clone linux-next
2. git add file changed
3. git commit
4. git format-patch -1 -s
5. git add patch
6. git am
Then it fails with the above message.
Cheers Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08  3:03         ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-08  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 22:25:06 -0400, Nick Krause said:

> 1. git clone linux-next

Don't do that.  You'll get something that you can't easily update.

git clone linux   *LINUS MAINLINE TREE*
git remote add linux-next     *add this as a remote*
git fetch --all

then use   git remote up     to update to newer tree.

You can go look up the exact syntax for clone and remote add yourself.

@ 2014-08-08  3:05         ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-08  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 22:25:06 -0400, Nick Krause said:

> 1. git clone linux-next

Before you do the git add, you *really* want to create a branch for
yourself to work on.

> 2. git add file changed

Because otherwise this will get dumped on one of 200+ linux-next branches
and cause acute indigestion the next time you do a 'git remote update'.
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 22:25:06 -0400, Nick Krause said:
>
>> 1. git clone linux-next
>
> Before you do the git add, you *really* want to create a branch for
> yourself to work on.
>
>> 2. git add file changed
>
> Because otherwise this will get dumped on one of 200+ linux-next branches
> and cause acute indigestion the next time you do a 'git remote update'.

That was stupid :(. Guess I known how to do it now.
Thanks Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08 17:04             ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-08 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 11:05 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 22:25:06 -0400, Nick Krause said:
>>
>>> 1. git clone linux-next
>>
>> Before you do the git add, you *really* want to create a branch for
>> yourself to work on.
>>
>>> 2. git add file changed
>>
>> Because otherwise this will get dumped on one of 200+ linux-next branches
>> and cause acute indigestion the next time you do a 'git remote update'.
>

> That was stupid :(. Guess I known how to do it now.
> Thanks Nick

I am tried your idea and not working. Really weird, seems I am not
using the correct commands.
The commands I am using are
1.git branch next
2.git remote add -t master -f next
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git

And that's it. I hit the git message of this,

    -f, --fetch           fetch the remote branches
    --tags                import all tags and associated objects when fetching
                          or do not fetch any tag at all (--no-tags)
    -t, --track <branch>  branch(es) to track
    -m, --master <branch>
                          master branch
    --mirror[=<push|fetch>]
                          set up remote as a mirror to push to or fetch from
Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08 17:30               ` Nuno Martins
From: Nuno Martins @ 2014-08-08 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Before you do the git add, you *really* want to create a branch for
> >> yourself to work on.

> >> Because otherwise this will get dumped on one of 200+ linux-next
> branches
> >> and cause acute indigestion the next time you do a 'git remote update'.
> >

> > That was stupid :(. Guess I known how to do it now.
> > Thanks Nick
>

> I am tried your idea and not working. Really weird, seems I am not
> using the correct commands.
> The commands I am using are
> 1.git branch next
> 2.git remote add -t master -f next
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
>
> And that's it. I hit the git message of this,

>     -f, --fetch           fetch the remote branches
>     --tags                import all tags and associated objects when
> fetching
>                           or do not fetch any tag at all (--no-tags)
>     -t, --track <branch>  branch(es) to track
>     -m, --master <branch>
>                           master branch
>     --mirror[=<push|fetch>]
>                           set up remote as a mirror to push to or fetch
> from
> Nick

I believe you didn't add a name for that remote yet.

Probably you need to give it a name to that new remote (eg. nextremotename)

2.git remote add -t master -f next nextremotename
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git

Cheers,
--
Nuno Martins

@ 2014-08-08 17:37                 ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-08 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Nuno Martins <nuno.m.g.martins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That was stupid :(. Guess I known how to do it now.
>> > Thanks Nick
>>

>> I am tried your idea and not working. Really weird, seems I am not
>> using the correct commands.
>> The commands I am using are
>> 1.git branch next
>> 2.git remote add -t master -f next
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
>>
>> And that's it. I hit the git message of this,

>>     -f, --fetch           fetch the remote branches
>>     --tags                import all tags and associated objects when
>> fetching
>>                           or do not fetch any tag at all (--no-tags)
>>     -t, --track <branch>  branch(es) to track
>>     -m, --master <branch>
>>                           master branch
>>     --mirror[=<push|fetch>]
>>                           set up remote as a mirror to push to or fetch
>> from
>> Nick

> I believe you didn't add a name for that remote yet.
>
> Probably you need to give it a name to that new remote (eg. nextremotename)
>
> 2.git remote add -t master -f next nextremotename
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Nuno Martins
Thanks Numo,
Would you mind asking Greg if he wants some help with staging clean up
as he is very upset with me after me
not listening and I own it to him to help help him out.
Cheers Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08 17:39               ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-08 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:04:15 -0400, Nick Krause said:

> 1.git branch next

No, this should be (3) or so.  You really want to 'git clone' linus's tree and
then 'git remote add' the linux-next tree before you do this.

If you're new to git, do yourself a favor, follow the directions, and just
build and then boot an updated linux-next kernel every day for a week or so,
just so you know you haven't dorked up your base, *before* you go adding
more branches of your own.

And you'll do yourself a favor by calling the branch 'nickswork' or something
so you don't confuse it with a -next branch down the road.  If you're planning
to go on another scattershot ramble across the kernel like before, you
*really* want to put each set of patches on a separate topic branch so you
can switch to that branch and 'git diff' will then only produce a diff that
contains the 2-3 patches in that topic.

> On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:04:15 -0400, Nick Krause said:
>
>> 1.git branch next
>
> No, this should be (3) or so.  You really want to 'git clone' linus's tree and
> then 'git remote add' the linux-next tree before you do this.
>
> If you're new to git, do yourself a favor, follow the directions, and just
> build and then boot an updated linux-next kernel every day for a week or so,
> just so you know you haven't dorked up your base, *before* you go adding
> more branches of your own.
>
> And you'll do yourself a favor by calling the branch 'nickswork' or something
> so you don't confuse it with a -next branch down the road.  If you're planning
> to go on another scattershot ramble across the kernel like before, you
> *really* want to put each set of patches on a separate topic branch so you
> can switch to that branch and 'git diff' will then only produce a diff that
> contains the 2-3 patches in that topic.

I don't plan to do what I did, that was wrong and I was a complete
jackass there.
I plan to work in staging with checkpatch just to prove I can do the work first.
Then I am going to work on a few areas( still deciding where to specialize)
1. Btrfs
2. Scheduler
3. F2FS
4. Networking
5. Drivers(mostly USB and Intel Graphics)
I think my issue with getting baned was mostly not listening and
needing to learn git.
Cheers and Thanks :),
Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08 18:07                   ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-08-08 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Numo,
> Would you mind asking Greg if he wants some help with staging clean up
> as he is very upset with me after me
> not listening and I own it to him to help help him out.
> Cheers Nick

Greg KH monitors kernelnewbies.

Keep participating here and prove yourself.

Also, staging clean-ups that are just beautification are not really
needed in staging.

Greg KH has automated scripts he could run to clean it all up in one
whack.  I assume he chooses not to let newbies have the practice.

That means every time he accepts a beautification patch he is doing
extra work for the benefit of the submitter, not for the benefit of
staging.

So at this point, don't think about beautification work.  If you want
someone to submit a patch for you, it needs to be a patch that
actually fixes a bug.

Greg

--
Greg Freemyer

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08 18:16                     ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-08-08 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

But still, the best thing for Nick to do is to stay away from patches,
bugs, staging and whatnot for a long time. Try to learn before even
considering sending patches.

You are on the same track as before, you are trying to figure out how to
send patches even if a lot of people have told you not to.

This list is now discussing Nick's problems all the time and nothing else.

@ 2014-08-08 18:18                     ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-08 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Numo,
>> Would you mind asking Greg if he wants some help with staging clean up
>> as he is very upset with me after me
>> not listening and I own it to him to help help him out.
>> Cheers Nick
>
> Greg KH monitors kernelnewbies.
>
> Keep participating here and prove yourself.
>
> Also, staging clean-ups that are just beautification are not really
> needed in staging.
>
> Greg KH has automated scripts he could run to clean it all up in one
> whack.  I assume he chooses not to let newbies have the practice.
>
> That means every time he accepts a beautification patch he is doing
> extra work for the benefit of the submitter, not for the benefit of
> staging.
>
> So at this point, don't think about beautification work.  If you want
> someone to submit a patch for you, it needs to be a patch that
> actually fixes a bug.
>
> Greg
>

> --
> Greg Freemyer

Thanks for the notice , if there are any bugs that are simple for a
newbie on Linus's tree I would be glad to help out there.
Cheers Nick

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08 18:25                   ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-08 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:53:50 -0400, Nick Krause said:

> Then I am going to work on a few areas( still deciding where to specialize)
> 1. Btrfs
> 2. Scheduler
> 3. F2FS
> 4. Networking
> 5. Drivers(mostly USB and Intel Graphics)

Pick *one* thing.  There's quite obviously a wide gap between your level
of understanding of the code, and what's needed to actually be productive.
Remember that most of those sections have already been worked on for *years*
by dozens of very clever people who are *paid* to do that.

There's a big difference between knowing how to change the spark plugs on
a VW Beetle, and being able to walk into a Formula One pit and make tuning
suggestions that actually help the performance.

And yes, there's *that* big a gap between the usual beginner programmer
and some parts of the kernel.  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that
there are more people in this world that really understand Formula One
engines than people who really understand the Linux scheduler. :)

@ 2014-08-08 18:26                   ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-08 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:37:25 -0400, Nick Krause said:

> Would you mind asking Greg if he wants some help with staging clean up
> as he is very upset with me after me
> not listening and I own it to him to help help him out.

No, what you owe him is to *SHUT THE HELL UP* and *DONT DO IT AGAIN*
until you learn what you're supposed to be doing.
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-08-08 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014, Kristofer Hallin wrote:

> This list is now discussing Nick's problems all the time and nothing
> else.

  more specifically, the list is now teaching nick how to use git. so,
on that note, i'm unsubscribing until this idiocy goes away. catch you
on the flip side, as they say.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Help with git
@ 2014-08-08 18:28                       ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-08 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 14:18:50 -0400, Nick Krause said:

> Thanks for the notice , if there are any bugs that are simple for a
> newbie on Linus's tree I would be glad to help out there.

This isn't the kernel it was 8 or 10 years ago.  There's not a lot of
low-hanging fruit left - that's why the kernel-janitors project died
out 5 years or so ago.  And if you find a 'FIX ME' in the kernel, *resist*
the temptation to do so - outside of drivers/staging, a 'FIX ME' is a sign
that there be dragons lurking and even the guy who wrote the code and the
maintainer haven't figured out how to fix it.
Thinking about the same thing. This list is not interesting any more.
On 8 Aug 2014 20:28, "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2014, Kristofer Hallin wrote:
>
> > This list is now discussing Nick's problems all the time and nothing
> > else.
>
>   more specifically, the list is now teaching nick how to use git. so,
> on that note, i'm unsubscribing until this idiocy goes away. catch you
> on the flip side, as they say.
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Formula One Scheduler (was Re: Help with git)
@ 2014-08-08 20:28                     ` Arlie Stephens
From: Arlie Stephens @ 2014-08-08 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Aug 08 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> There's a big difference between knowing how to change the spark plugs on
> a VW Beetle, and being able to walk into a Formula One pit and make tuning
> suggestions that actually help the performance.
>
> And yes, there's *that* big a gap between the usual beginner programmer
> and some parts of the kernel.  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that
> there are more people in this world that really understand Formula One
> engines than people who really understand the Linux scheduler. :)

Now that's depressing.

--
Arlie

(Arlie Stephens					arlie at worldash.org)

* Formula One Scheduler (was Re: Help with git)
@ 2014-08-08 20:46                       ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-08 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Arlie Stephens <arlie@worldash.org> wrote:
> On Aug 08 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>> There's a big difference between knowing how to change the spark plugs on
>> a VW Beetle, and being able to walk into a Formula One pit and make tuning
>> suggestions that actually help the performance.
>>
>> And yes, there's *that* big a gap between the usual beginner programmer
>> and some parts of the kernel.  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that
>> there are more people in this world that really understand Formula One
>> engines than people who really understand the Linux scheduler. :)
>
> Now that's depressing.
>
> --
> Arlie
>
> (Arlie Stephens                                 arlie at worldash.org)

That is kind of depressing. Is there any maintainers who want to
mentor me with the scheduler and other areas of interest.
I am willing to listen , I will just like a mentor to help me out :).
Nick

* Formula One Scheduler (was Re: Help with git)
@ 2014-08-09  0:17                       ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-09  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:28:45 -0700, Arlie Stephens said:
> On Aug 08 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > There's a big difference between knowing how to change the spark plugs on
> > a VW Beetle, and being able to walk into a Formula One pit and make tuning
> > suggestions that actually help the performance.
> >
> > And yes, there's *that* big a gap between the usual beginner programmer
> > and some parts of the kernel.  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that
> > there are more people in this world that really understand Formula One
> > engines than people who really understand the Linux scheduler. :)
>
> Now that's depressing.

There are 11 teams competing in the 2014 Formula One series.  Say 10 engine
jocks on each team - that leaves us 120 or so people who *really* know
the engines. (And that's probably an under-estimate - McLaren's total
engineering staff is around 240 people, so they probably

Looking at next-20140807:

for i in kernel/sched/*.[ch]; do git blame $i; done | cut -f2- -d'(' | awk '{print $1" "$2}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

There's only 235 entries total.

The top 20:

   8922 Peter Zijlstra
   1629 Ingo Molnar
   1483 Paul Turner
   1317 Dario Faggioli
   1282 Linus Torvalds
   1202 Juri Lelli
    999 Frederic Weisbecker
    703 Gregory Haskins
    643 Rik van
    621 Mel Gorman
    612 Paul Gortmaker
    517 Mike Galbraith
    492 Li Zefan
    472 Steven Rostedt
    346 Nicolas Pitre
    338 Thomas Gleixner
    309 Kirill Tkhai
    282 Tejun Heo
    272 Rusty Russell
    210 Suresh Siddha

The cutoff for "less than 40 lines" is at spot #54, and "less than 10 lines" is
at spot #98, after which point the next 137 people have contributed
single-digit amounts of code.  (Lots of well-known names down in that
single-digit club, too - but those numbers smell more like people who have
changed a kernel API and just fixed up the scheduler uses of the API rather
than doing deep understanding of the kernel).

So less than 100 kernel scheduler contributors, to 120 F1 engine designers.

(And yes, I'm glossing over people who have written big chunks of scheduler
code that have since been replaced.  Feel free to dig through git history
and do your own numbers if you want something more accurate :)

So yeah.  Go ahead and be depressed. :)

* Formula One Scheduler (was Re: Help with git)
@ 2014-08-09  5:23                         ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-08-09  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Arlie Stephens <arlie@worldash.org> wrote:
>> On Aug 08 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>> There's a big difference between knowing how to change the spark plugs on
>>> a VW Beetle, and being able to walk into a Formula One pit and make tuning
>>> suggestions that actually help the performance.
>>>
>>> And yes, there's *that* big a gap between the usual beginner programmer
>>> and some parts of the kernel.  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that
>>> there are more people in this world that really understand Formula One
>>> engines than people who really understand the Linux scheduler. :)
>>
>> Now that's depressing.
>>
>> --
>> Arlie
>>
>> (Arlie Stephens                                 arlie at worldash.org)

> That is kind of depressing. Is there any maintainers who want to
> mentor me with the scheduler and other areas of interest.
> I am willing to listen , I will just like a mentor to help me out :).
> Nick

Why will anyone want to waste their time to mentor you??? And you are
asking the maintainers to adjust their busy schedule just to mentor
you ?? why ? who are you ??
Please dont bug this list with your requests to mentor you or with
such questions , answers to which can be easily found on google .

* Formula One Scheduler (was Re: Help with git)
@ 2014-08-09 12:43                           ` Lidza Louina
From: Lidza Louina @ 2014-08-09 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Nick, if you get accepted in a program like google summer of code, you will
get a mentor (that's how I got started). I don't know the odds of that
happening because you don't have a good reputation in the kernel. Look for
a program like gsoc and apply.

Another option is looking for someone in real life to mentor you.

Lidza

@ 2014-08-09 13:01                         ` Philipp Muhoray
From: Philipp Muhoray @ 2014-08-09 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Am 2014-08-09 02:17, schrieb Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:28:45 -0700, Arlie Stephens said:
>> On Aug 08 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>> There's a big difference between knowing how to change the spark plugs on
>>> a VW Beetle, and being able to walk into a Formula One pit and make tuning
>>> suggestions that actually help the performance.
>>>
>>> And yes, there's *that* big a gap between the usual beginner programmer
>>> and some parts of the kernel.  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that
>>> there are more people in this world that really understand Formula One
>>> engines than people who really understand the Linux scheduler. :)
>> Now that's depressing.
> There are 11 teams competing in the 2014 Formula One series.  Say 10 engine
> jocks on each team - that leaves us 120 or so people who *really* know
> the engines. (And that's probably an under-estimate - McLaren's total
> engineering staff is around 240 people, so they probably
>
> Looking at next-20140807:
>
> for i in kernel/sched/*.[ch]; do git blame $i; done | cut -f2- -d'(' | awk '{print $1" "$2}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
>
> There's only 235 entries total.
>
> The top 20:
>
>     8922 Peter Zijlstra
>     1629 Ingo Molnar
>     1483 Paul Turner
>     1317 Dario Faggioli
>     1282 Linus Torvalds
>     1202 Juri Lelli
>      999 Frederic Weisbecker
>      703 Gregory Haskins
>      643 Rik van
>      621 Mel Gorman
>      612 Paul Gortmaker
>      517 Mike Galbraith
>      492 Li Zefan
>      472 Steven Rostedt
>      346 Nicolas Pitre
>      338 Thomas Gleixner
>      309 Kirill Tkhai
>      282 Tejun Heo
>      272 Rusty Russell
>      210 Suresh Siddha
>
> The cutoff for "less than 40 lines" is at spot #54, and "less than 10 lines" is
> at spot #98, after which point the next 137 people have contributed
> single-digit amounts of code.  (Lots of well-known names down in that
> single-digit club, too - but those numbers smell more like people who have
> changed a kernel API and just fixed up the scheduler uses of the API rather
> than doing deep understanding of the kernel).
>
> So less than 100 kernel scheduler contributors, to 120 F1 engine designers.
>
> (And yes, I'm glossing over people who have written big chunks of scheduler
> code that have since been replaced.  Feel free to dig through git history
> and do your own numbers if you want something more accurate :)
>
> So yeah.  Go ahead and be depressed. :)

But this is just a result of demand & supply: there are more F1
engineers because you can generate money by hiring them. but the
scheduler is already done - no one needs any more scheduler developers
than there are right now.
so the conclusion is not that the Linux scheduler is more complicated
than F1 engines.
hell, there are even more F1 engineers than people who know the
internals of the software i'm currently developing on. does it mean it's
more complicated? nope, it just means the company i'm working for only
needs a handful of developers.
So don't be depressed, just do what you're interested in and success
will follow.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Re: Help with git
       [not found] <faf2c12b0709042250s4f6a5a09o4299dbe06d6ce2be@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-09-06 23:07 ` Alex Riesen
From: Alex Riesen @ 2007-09-06 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Chema Quinn; +Cc: devel, git

Jameson Chema Quinn, Wed, Sep 05, 2007 07:50:25 +0200:
> I am having some problems with git - essentially, my .gitignore and
> core/editor config options are not working.
>
> If you can help, THANK YOU. Please respond to this problem on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Git to avoid clogging up the list.

I answered on the page, but the one with .gitignore bothers me a bit:
this is an old piece of code, and a quite reliable one. Why did you
put .gitignore file?