* HFP - No Audio
@ 2016-07-27 20:09 Matthew Waddell
From: Matthew Waddell @ 2016-07-27 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hi,

I am trying to configure HFP to allow in-call audio to be routed through
my PC's audio card.  I'm interested to know the current state of
support, and if anyone has had success in getting it to work.  I have
tried various combinations of the following components, but have so far
been unable to get the in-call audio working:

Kernel: 4.4.11, 4.6.4, 4.7 (unstable)
Bluez: 5.37, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9
Pulesaudio: 7, 8, 9
Ofono: 1.7, 1.8, 1.9
USB Bluetooth Adapters:
      0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (CSR8510 A10)
      0a5c:21e8 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0 (with firmware
001.002.014 build 1338)

I've can verify that ofono is able to detect the HFP capabilities of a
connected device, and to establish a 'modem' to it. Pulseaudio is also
notified when a call becomes active, and appears to load the appropriate
loopbacks to route the audio from/to the call through the HFP modem.
Hacking in some extra debug tracing to pulseaudio, I've verified that
pulseaudio receives SCO packets from the file descriptor that it
receives from ofono.  Still, I am unable to hear any audio from the call.

Something interesting that I've noticed, however, is that if I look at
the in-call traffic with hcidump, it looks to me like the payloads of
each of the SCO packets that are received from the remote device (the
phone) are either all 0x0000 or 0x0001.  I have not seen cases where it
is anything other than that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what might be going on, or how I
might be able to debug this further?

This post from May sounds like similar circumstances, and possibly even
a success story:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg67283.html

Thanks!
_matt

* Re: HFP - No Audio
@ 2016-07-27 23:25 ` Jason Gauthier
From: Jason Gauthier @ 2016-07-27 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Waddell; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Matthew,

 That was my original email, but no success.  The BT adapter in the
raspberry pi 3 I was using does not show any SCO packets during the
call.  I've moved to an external BT device and I haven't had any
issues with it.

When the call is made, your screen should be *flooded* with SCO
packets.  If not, then you are experiencing the same problem that I've
never found a solution to.

Good luck,

Jason

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Matthew Waddell <matt@littlecraft.io> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure HFP to allow in-call audio to be routed through my
> PC's audio card.  I'm interested to know the current state of support, and
> if anyone has had success in getting it to work.  I have tried various
> combinations of the following components, but have so far been unable to get
> the in-call audio working:
>
> Kernel: 4.4.11, 4.6.4, 4.7 (unstable)
> Bluez: 5.37, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9
> Pulesaudio: 7, 8, 9
> Ofono: 1.7, 1.8, 1.9
> USB Bluetooth Adapters:
>      0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (CSR8510 A10)
>      0a5c:21e8 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0 (with firmware
> 001.002.014 build 1338)
>
> I've can verify that ofono is able to detect the HFP capabilities of a
> connected device, and to establish a 'modem' to it. Pulseaudio is also
> notified when a call becomes active, and appears to load the appropriate
> loopbacks to route the audio from/to the call through the HFP modem. Hacking
> in some extra debug tracing to pulseaudio, I've verified that pulseaudio
> receives SCO packets from the file descriptor that it receives from ofono.
> Still, I am unable to hear any audio from the call.
>
> Something interesting that I've noticed, however, is that if I look at the
> in-call traffic with hcidump, it looks to me like the payloads of each of
> the SCO packets that are received from the remote device (the phone) are
> either all 0x0000 or 0x0001.  I have not seen cases where it is anything
> other than that.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for what might be going on, or how I might
> be able to debug this further?
>
> This post from May sounds like similar circumstances, and possibly even a
> success story:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg67283.html
>

> Thanks!
> _matt
> in

* Re: HFP - No Audio
@ 2016-07-27 23:29   ` Matthew Waddell
From: Matthew Waddell @ 2016-07-27 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gauthier; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the success report!

Would you be able to share the version numbers of the Kernel, Bluez,
Ofono, and pulseaudio you are using on your pi3?  Also, do you know what
chipset of bluetooth adapter you are using?

Thanks!
_matt

* Re: HFP - No Audio
@ 2016-07-28  0:23     ` Jason Gauthier
From: Jason Gauthier @ 2016-07-28  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Waddell; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Sure!

Linux Kernel: 4.4.11-v7+
Bluez 5.39
PA: 8.0
Ofono : 1.18

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd
Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

hci1:   Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 00:1A:7D:DA:71:13  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING PSCAN
        RX bytes:997282 acl:2321 sco:7085 events:417 errors:0
        TX bytes:369146 acl:198 sco:7083 commands:138 errors:1
        Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0xdb 0xff 0x5b 0x87
        Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
        Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
        Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
        Name: 'CarPi #2'
        Class: 0x2c0000
        Service Classes: Rendering, Capturing, Audio
        Device Class: Miscellaneous,
        HCI Version: 4.0 (0x6)  Revision: 0x22bb
        LMP Version: 4.0 (0x6)  Subversion: 0x22bb
        Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

* Re: HFP - No Audio
@ 2016-07-28 22:00       ` Matthew Waddell
From: Matthew Waddell @ 2016-07-28 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gauthier; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Thank you!  I can confirm that these versions do indeed work together
with a CSR adapter.  HFP audio works!

The missing SCO payload issue that I was seeing--where the Audio Gateway
(my phone) was sending empty SCO payloads (all 0x0000 or 0x0100), and
probably the real reason that HFP had not been working for me up until
now, was likely due to a bug on my phone!  It happened to be running a
nightly build of Cyanogenmod 13.  Updating to a more recent build seems
to have fixed whatever was going on there.  Sheesh...

Thanks,
_matt