* [mlmmj] Notification sent to non-member for subscribers-only list
@ 2016-09-29 19:42 Doug Robbins
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Doug Robbins @ 2016-09-29 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

When a non-member posts to a subscribers-only list, a notification
message is sent back to the poster. This notification message includes
the full text of their original post.

I'd prefer if the notification message (the reply generated by mlmmj)
did NOT quote the original content sent by the poster.

Is there any way I can remove it?

Using mlmmj 1.2.19.

Thanks :)

Doug

* Re: [mlmmj] Notification sent to non-member for subscribers-only list
@ 2016-09-29 20:37 ` A. Schulze
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: A. Schulze @ 2016-09-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Am 29.09.2016 um 21:54 schrieb Doug Robbins:
> When a non-member posts to a subscribers-only list, a notification message is sent back to the poster. This notification message includes the full text of their original post.
>
> I'd prefer if the notification message (the reply generated by mlmmj) did NOT quote the original content sent by the poster.

the request makes sense as the poster's address may be spoofed...

Andreas

* Re: [mlmmj] Notification sent to non-member for subscribers-only list
@ 2016-09-30  2:33 ` Ben Schmidt
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2016-09-30  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 30/09/2016 5:54 am, Doug Robbins wrote:
> When a non-member posts to a subscribers-only list, a notification message is sent
> back to the poster. This notification message includes the full text of their
> original post.
>
> I'd prefer if the notification message (the reply generated by mlmmj) did NOT
> quote the original content sent by the poster.
>
> Is there any way I can remove it?

Just edit the deny-post list text to taste. You'll find it in
$LISTDIR/text. It's copied there from a system-wide location when you
create the list.

See the README.listtexts file for more info:

http://mlmmj.org/docs/readme-listtexts/

Happy hacking!

Ben

* Re: [mlmmj] Notification sent to non-member for subscribers-only list
@ 2016-09-30 11:13 ` Doug Robbins
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Doug Robbins @ 2016-09-30 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 09/29/2016 11:50 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
> On 30/09/2016 5:54 am, Doug Robbins wrote:
>> When a non-member posts to a subscribers-only list, a notification
>> message is sent
>> back to the poster. This notification message includes the full text
>> of their
>> original post.
>>
>> I'd prefer if the notification message (the reply generated by mlmmj)
>> did NOT
>> quote the original content sent by the poster.
>>
>> Is there any way I can remove it?
>
> Just edit the deny-post list text to taste. You'll find it in
> $LISTDIR/text. It's copied there from a system-wide location when you
> create the list.

The most relevant file in $LISTDIR/text seemed to be 'subonlypost'.  I
The wording of that file is similar but slightly different than the
wording of the notification mail that is sent. Editing it had no effect
on the notification message.

I've found that the notification mail is based on the file
/usr/share/mlmmj/text.skel/en/deny-post. Editing that file, removing the
original-post attachment, achieved what I wanted.

Unsure why the file in $LISTDIR/text isn't used, perhaps something is
awry with my setup (installed via rpm on CentOS).

Thanks,

Doug

* Re: [mlmmj] Notification sent to non-member for subscribers-only list
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-09-30 12:25 ` Piotr Auksztulewicz
From: Piotr Auksztulewicz @ 2016-09-30 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 08:55:44AM -0230, Doug Robbins wrote:
> The most relevant file in $LISTDIR/text seemed to be 'subonlypost'.  I The
> wording of that file is similar but slightly different than the wording of
> the notification mail that is sent. Editing it had no effect on the
> notification message.
>
> I've found that the notification mail is based on the file
> /usr/share/mlmmj/text.skel/en/deny-post. Editing that file, removing the
> original-post attachment, achieved what I wanted.

The 'subonlypost' is the old-style 'compatibility' name from an old version
of mlmmj. Normally 'deny-post' shall be used as it is looked up earlier.
Do you have that file in your $LISTDIR/text as well? It is kinda strange
that editing the /usr/share copy changed the mlmmj behaviour, unless your
$LISTDIR/text is effectively symlinked there somehow. The intention is
that the /usr/share files are copied over when a list is created so every
list has sensible defaults, but the list owner or an administrator can
tweak the texts for a particular list's needs.

Documentation doesn't tell anything about mlmmj looking in /usr/share
for the listtext files if they are not in $LISTDIR/text, but I haven't
looked at the code. Ben?

--
Piotr "Malgond" Auksztulewicz                     firstname@lastname.net

* Re: [mlmmj] Notification sent to non-member for subscribers-only list
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-09-30 13:48 ` Doug Robbins
From: Doug Robbins @ 2016-09-30 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 09/30/2016 09:55 AM, Piotr Auksztulewicz wrote:
> The 'subonlypost' is the old-style 'compatibility' name from an old version
> of mlmmj. Normally 'deny-post' shall be used as it is looked up earlier.
> Do you have that file in your $LISTDIR/text as well? It is kinda strange
> that editing the /usr/share copy changed the mlmmj behaviour, unless your
> $LISTDIR/text is effectively symlinked there somehow.

No, there isn't a 'deny-post' file in the $LISTDIR/text directory.

And $LISTDIR/text isn't symlinked in any way.

Thanks for the input,

Doug

* Re: [mlmmj] Notification sent to non-member for subscribers-only list
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-02 12:47 ` Ben Schmidt
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2016-10-02 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

> Documentation doesn't tell anything about mlmmj looking in /usr/share
> for the listtext files if they are not in $LISTDIR/text, but I haven't
> looked at the code. Ben?

Yeah. Looks like the documentation could be improved. Mlmmj checks:

$listdir/text
$prefix/share/mlmmj/text.skel/default
$prefix/share/mlmmj/text.skel/en

It checks all three paths for each candidate filename, and then moves on
to the next candidate filename, so if there is a newer-version list text
in the system path, it will override a compatibility list text in the
list-local directory.

Ben