* Redundancy support through PRP?
@ 2016-10-10 18:34 Murali Karicheri
From: Murali Karicheri @ 2016-10-10 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: open list:TI NETCP ETHERNET DRIVER

All,

Wondering if there plan to add PRP driver support, like HSR in Linux? AFAIK, PRP
adds trailor to Ethernet frame and is used for Redundancy management like HSR.
So wondering why this is not supported.

Thanks
--
Murali Karicheri
Linux Kernel, Keystone

* Redundancy support through HSR and PRP
@ 2016-10-20 17:08 ` Murali Karicheri
From: Murali Karicheri @ 2016-10-20 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: open list:TI NETCP ETHERNET DRIVER, David Miller

David,

On 10/10/2016 02:34 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
> All,
>
> Wondering if there plan to add PRP driver support, like HSR in Linux? AFAIK, PRP
> adds trailor to Ethernet frame and is used for Redundancy management like HSR.
> So wondering why this is not supported.
>
> Thanks

I need to work on a prp driver for Linux. So if there is already someone working
on this, I would like to join and contribute. Either way please respond so that
I can work to add this support.

I am also working to add support for offload HSR functions to hardware and will
need to modify the hsr driver to support the same. So any suggestion as to how this
can be done, will be appreciated.

Here is what I believe should happen to support this at a higher level

hsr capable NIC (with firmware support) may able to
 - duplicate packets at the egress. So only one copy needs to be forwarded to the
   NIC
 - Discard the duplicate at the ingress. So forward only one to copy to the ethernet
   driver
 - Manage supervision of the network. Keep node list and their status

It could be a subset of the above. So I am hoping this can be published by the Ethernet
driver as a set of features. The hsr driver can then look at this features and
decide to offload and disable same functionality at the hsr driver. Also the node list/status
has to be polled from the underlying hardware.

PRP is similar to HSR in many respect. Redundancy management uses a suffix tag to the MAC
frame instead of prefix used by HSR. So they are more transparently handled by
switches or routers. Probably i need to do
  - rename net/hsr to net/hsr-prp
  - restructure the current set of files to add prp support

Thanks
--
Murali Karicheri
Linux Kernel, Keystone

* Re: Redundancy support through HSR and PRP
@ 2016-10-24 16:35   ` Murali Karicheri
       [not found]     ` <6075_1477400598_580F5816_6075_378_9_580F5825.9080109@alten.se>
From: Murali Karicheri @ 2016-10-24 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: open list:TI NETCP ETHERNET DRIVER, David Miller, arvid.brodin

On 10/20/2016 01:08 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
> David,
>
> On 10/10/2016 02:34 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Wondering if there plan to add PRP driver support, like HSR in Linux? AFAIK, PRP
>> adds trailor to Ethernet frame and is used for Redundancy management like HSR.
>> So wondering why this is not supported.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> I need to work on a prp driver for Linux. So if there is already someone working
> on this, I would like to join and contribute. Either way please respond so that
> I can work to add this support.
>
> I am also working to add support for offload HSR functions to hardware and will
> need to modify the hsr driver to support the same. So any suggestion as to how this
> can be done, will be appreciated.
>
> Here is what I believe should happen to support this at a higher level
>
> hsr capable NIC (with firmware support) may able to
>  - duplicate packets at the egress. So only one copy needs to be forwarded to the
>    NIC
>  - Discard the duplicate at the ingress. So forward only one to copy to the ethernet
>    driver
>  - Manage supervision of the network. Keep node list and their status
>
> It could be a subset of the above. So I am hoping this can be published by the Ethernet
> driver as a set of features. The hsr driver can then look at this features and
> decide to offload and disable same functionality at the hsr driver. Also the node list/status
> has to be polled from the underlying hardware.
>
> PRP is similar to HSR in many respect. Redundancy management uses a suffix tag to the MAC
> frame instead of prefix used by HSR. So they are more transparently handled by
> switches or routers. Probably i need to do
>   - rename net/hsr to net/hsr-prp
>   - restructure the current set of files to add prp support
>
> Thanks

+ Arvid

Didn't copy HSR owner in my original email. Copying now.

--

@ 2016-10-25 13:03     ` Arvid Brodin
       [not found]     ` <6075_1477400598_580F5816_6075_378_9_580F5825.9080109@alten.se>
From: Arvid Brodin @ 2016-10-25 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Murali Karicheri
  Cc: open list:TI NETCP ETHERNET DRIVER, David Miller, Heise, Peter

On 2016-10-24 18:35, Murali Karicheri wrote:
>> On 10/10/2016 02:34 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Wondering if there plan to add PRP driver support, like HSR in Linux? AFAIK, PRP
>>> adds trailor to Ethernet frame and is used for Redundancy management like HSR.
>>> So wondering why this is not supported.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> I need to work on a prp driver for Linux. So if there is already someone working
>> on this, I would like to join and contribute. Either way please respond so that
>> I can work to add this support.
>>
> + Arvid
>
> Didn't copy HSR owner in my original email. Copying now.

Hi Murali,

I'm not aware of anyone working on PRP support.

I will have very little time, if any, to help out with this (or even test changes).
In fact, if you want to send a patch for the MAINTAINERS file to take over
maintainership of the HSR/PRP driver, that would probably be a good thing.

(I'm CC'ing also Peter Heise to this conversation, since he's done some recent work
on the HSR driver, and might want to keep updated.)

--
Arvid Brodin
Linux Consultant

* AW: Redundancy support through HSR and PRP
       [not found]     ` <6075_1477400598_580F5816_6075_378_9_580F5825.9080109@alten.se>
@ 2016-10-25 13:24       ` HEISE, Peter P
From: HEISE, Peter P @ 2016-10-25 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arvid Brodin, Murali Karicheri
  Cc: open list:TI NETCP ETHERNET DRIVER, David Miller

Hi Murali, hi Arvid,

also no work on PRP from my side.

Should be pretty straight forward to get PRP support from the existing HSR code.

On 2016-10-24 18:35, Murali Karicheri wrote:
>> On 10/10/2016 02:34 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Wondering if there plan to add PRP driver support, like HSR in
>>> Linux? AFAIK, PRP adds trailor to Ethernet frame and is used for Redundancy management like HSR.
>>> So wondering why this is not supported.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> I need to work on a prp driver for Linux. So if there is already
>> someone working on this, I would like to join and contribute. Either
>> way please respond so that I can work to add this support.
>>
> + Arvid
>
> Didn't copy HSR owner in my original email. Copying now.

Hi Murali,

I'm not aware of anyone working on PRP support.

I will have very little time, if any, to help out with this (or even test changes).
In fact, if you want to send a patch for the MAINTAINERS file to take over maintainership of the HSR/PRP driver, that would probably be a good thing.

(I'm CC'ing also Peter Heise to this conversation, since he's done some recent work on the HSR driver, and might want to keep updated.)

--
Arvid Brodin
Linux Consultant
ALTEN Sweden

This mail has originated outside your organization, either from an external partner or the Global Internet.

The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
Airbus cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this e-mail as it has been sent over public networks. If you have any concerns over the content of this message or its Accuracy or Integrity, please contact Airbus immediately.
All outgoing e-mails from Airbus are checked using regularly updated virus scanning software but you should take whatever measures you deem to be appropriate to ensure that this message and any attachments are virus free.

* Re: AW: Redundancy support through HSR and PRP
@ 2016-10-27 22:54         ` Murali Karicheri
From: Murali Karicheri @ 2016-10-27 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HEISE, Peter P, Arvid Brodin
  Cc: open list:TI NETCP ETHERNET DRIVER, David Miller

On 10/25/2016 09:24 AM, HEISE, Peter P wrote:
> Hi Murali, hi Arvid,
>
> also no work on PRP from my side.
>
> Should be pretty straight forward to get PRP support from the existing HSR code.

Thanks Arvid and Peter!

Basically I have following to be done w.r.t HSR/PRP.

1. Add PRP support
2. Add h/w offload some of the rx/tx redundancy and L2 forward handling to firmware.

If you have any thoughts on 2, please let me know. Our hardware is a switch
with HSR/PRP support. So I believe I need to have L2 offload done using the DSA
and run the hsr/prp driver on top of that. The MIB handling is done in the
firmware. So that has to be offloaded as well. My work has just begun and I hope
to come up with an RFC patch for HSR offload first followed by PRP support.

>From high level, it appears to be a straight forward to add the PRP support.
I might have to rename the net/hsr to something like net/hsr-prp ??

Also restructure the code a bit to support PRP

I have brought up HSR driver on my platform (HSRv0 and HSRv1) and it seems to work.
So I might be able to regress the existing once I add my change.

Peter,

Do you think you could help me do some testing in the future when patches become
available?

Murali