* data loss+inode recovery using RAID6 write journal
@ 2016-10-24 23:55 Nick Black
From: Nick Black @ 2016-10-24 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hey there, everyone! I've been using and admiring mdadm for over a decade;
thanks for all the awesome work.

I recently put together a new build, and wanted to try out the
--write-journal capability of recent Linux md. My write journal is a
Samsung SSD 840 PRO SSD, atop a RAID6 of 8 4TB spinning disks. All 9 SATA3
devices are plugged into the onboard SATA3 ports of my ASUS X-99 Deluxe II
motherboard. Summary description:

md126 : active raid6 sde1[4] sdg1[6] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdf1[5] sdi1[8] sdh1[7] sdb1[1] sda1[0](J)
      23441316864 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [8/8] [UUUUUUUU]
      bitmap: 0/30 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

All filesystems are ext4. ~14TB of ~22TB are in use on the filesystem built
directly atop md126:

 /dev/md126       22T   14T  7.4T  65% /media/trap

Kernel version is 4.8.3 (the array was built under 4.7.5), and mdadm reports
v3.4. Distro is debian unstable, running a custom (but fairly orthodox)
kernel.

I moved a ~20GB tarball from my home directory (located on another device, a
NVMe md RAID1) to /media/trap/backups. The mv completed successfully. A
short time after that, I hard rebooted the machine due to X lockup (I'm
experimenting with compiz). By "short time", I mean "possibly within the
time window before 20GB could be written out to the backing store, but I'm
unsure about that". Upon restart, the machine engaged in minutes of disk
activity, spat out some fsck inode recovery messages (I'm trying to find
these in my logs), and finally mounted the filesystem. The moved file is
nowhere to be found.

It's no big loss to me -- I can recreate that data -- but I thought I'd
seeing them in journalctl output. I can probably reproduce the problem if
someone needs me to, though otherwise I will likely disable the write
journal for now (I've not yet done so). Please let me know how I might help
you track this problem down, if a problem does indeed exist. Thanks!

--
nick black -=- http://www.nick-black.com
to make an apple pie from scratch, you need first invent a universe.