* [cip-dev] Features backports
@ 2016-11-18 12:26 Agustin Benito Bethencourt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Agustin Benito Bethencourt @ 2016-11-18 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

as you probably know, the more features we backport, the higher will be
the maintenance cost overtime so as a strategy, we need to be very
conservative.

I sent a mail some days ago about the features backported already by
Linaro for their LSK (Linaro Stable Kernel) for your evaluation. I bring
today some potential backports related with security features and
hardware support that has been identified by Ben H.

* UBSAN support:
<https://git.kernel.org/linus/c6d308534aef6c99904bf5862066360ae067abc4>

* Increased user-space ASLR range for ARM:
<https://lwn.net/Articles/667790/>

* Page poisoning on free:
<https://git.kernel.org/linus/8823b1dbc05fab1a8bec275eeae4709257c2661d>,
<https://git.kernel.org/linus/1414c7f4f7d72d138fff35f00151d15749b5beda>

* SLAB/SLUB freelist randomisation

* Hardened usercopy

* Do Members use SLUB? if not, we should take a look at KASAN support
for SLAB

* drm/tilcdc update? (many bug fixes post-4.4)

* AM33xx RTC support:

<https://git.kernel.org/linus/461932dfb54ebaf7da438fd8b769a01ce97a9360>,
<https://git.kernel.org/linus/b5a553c08bec14a058501df3fa6eb39f63f00a98>

Best Regards
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk

* [cip-dev] Features backports
@ 2016-11-28 13:47 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2016-11-28 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 2016-11-18 13:26, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as you probably know, the more features we backport, the higher will be
> the maintenance cost overtime so as a strategy, we need to be very
> conservative.
>
> I sent a mail some days ago about the features backported already by
> Linaro for their LSK (Linaro Stable Kernel) for your evaluation. I bring
> today some potential backports related with security features and
> hardware support that has been identified by Ben H.
>
> * UBSAN support:
> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/c6d308534aef6c99904bf5862066360ae067abc4>
>
> * Increased user-space ASLR range for ARM:
> <https://lwn.net/Articles/667790/>
>
> * Page poisoning on free:
> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/8823b1dbc05fab1a8bec275eeae4709257c2661d>,
> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/1414c7f4f7d72d138fff35f00151d15749b5beda>
>
> * SLAB/SLUB freelist randomisation
>
> * Hardened usercopy
>
> * Do Members use SLUB? if not, we should take a look at KASAN support
> for SLAB
>
> * drm/tilcdc update? (many bug fixes post-4.4)
>
> * AM33xx RTC support:
>
> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/461932dfb54ebaf7da438fd8b769a01ce97a9360>,
> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/b5a553c08bec14a058501df3fa6eb39f63f00a98>

To add two features areas from our requirement list:

- Distributed Switch Architecture, basically the level of 4.8 would be
  sufficient. However, there might be too many dependencies on
  networking core changes. If we pick 4.9 as next SLTS, then this
  becomes obsolete.

- Graphic support for AM57xx from more recent kernels, but things may
  even still depend on TI's vendor kernel (in which case it would be
  too early).

Both are a bit vague yet, but I'm trying to clarify more details.
Comments are already welcome, of course.

Jan

* [cip-dev] Features backports
@ 2016-11-28 14:17   ` Agustin Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustin Benito Bethencourt @ 2016-11-28 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

On 28/11/16 14:47, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2016-11-18 13:26, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as you probably know, the more features we backport, the higher will be
>> the maintenance cost overtime so as a strategy, we need to be very
>> conservative.
>>
>> I sent a mail some days ago about the features backported already by
>> Linaro for their LSK (Linaro Stable Kernel) for your evaluation. I bring
>> today some potential backports related with security features and
>> hardware support that has been identified by Ben H.
>>
>> * UBSAN support:
>> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/c6d308534aef6c99904bf5862066360ae067abc4>
>>
>> * Increased user-space ASLR range for ARM:
>> <https://lwn.net/Articles/667790/>
>>
>> * Page poisoning on free:
>> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/8823b1dbc05fab1a8bec275eeae4709257c2661d>,
>> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/1414c7f4f7d72d138fff35f00151d15749b5beda>
>>
>> * SLAB/SLUB freelist randomisation
>>
>> * Hardened usercopy
>>
>> * Do Members use SLUB? if not, we should take a look at KASAN support
>> for SLAB
>>
>> * drm/tilcdc update? (many bug fixes post-4.4)
>>
>> * AM33xx RTC support:
>>
>> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/461932dfb54ebaf7da438fd8b769a01ce97a9360>,
>> <https://git.kernel.org/linus/b5a553c08bec14a058501df3fa6eb39f63f00a98>
>>

> To add two features areas from our requirement list:
>
> - Distributed Switch Architecture, basically the level of 4.8 would be
>    sufficient. However, there might be too many dependencies on
>    networking core changes. If we pick 4.9 as next SLTS, then this
>    becomes obsolete.
>
> - Graphic support for AM57xx from more recent kernels, but things may
>    even still depend on TI's vendor kernel (in which case it would be
>    too early).
>
> Both are a bit vague yet, but I'm trying to clarify more details.
> Comments are already welcome, of course.

This is good. It allows us to dig a little and provide some light.

agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk

* [cip-dev] Features backports
@ 2016-11-29  2:57 ` 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO
From: 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO @ 2016-11-29  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

Regarding to Altera Socfpga Cyclone V, we might want to backport from 4.9;
- L2cache ECC(./arch/arm/mm/cache-l2x0.c)
- QSPI Flash controller(drivers/mtd/spi-nor/cadence-quadspi.c)

4.9 is still missing the followings which exist in the verdor tree(linux-socfpga);
- HPS2FPGA(drivers/fpga/altera-hps2fpga.c)
- NAND Flash controller(drivers/mtd/nand/denali_dt.c)
I hope we can encourage Altera to push these features upstream or do it ourselves.

Takuo

* [cip-dev] Features backports
@ 2016-11-29  9:01   ` Agustin Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustin Benito Bethencourt @ 2016-11-29  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

On 29/11/16 03:57, ???? / KOGUCHI?TAKUO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding to Altera Socfpga Cyclone V, we might want to backport from 4.9;
> - L2cache ECC(./arch/arm/mm/cache-l2x0.c)
> - QSPI Flash controller(drivers/mtd/spi-nor/cadence-quadspi.c)
>
> 4.9 is still missing the followings which exist in the verdor tree(linux-socfpga);
> - HPS2FPGA(drivers/fpga/altera-hps2fpga.c)
> - NAND Flash controller(drivers/mtd/nand/denali_dt.c)
> I hope we can encourage Altera to push these features upstream or do it ourselves.

I think we have a good chance once they see we are testing Beaglebone
Black in the open. That would be a good opportunity we might add value
to them.

Definitely I would talk to them before. If they are not pushing the
patches upstream, it would be a good question why.

agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk

* [cip-dev] Features backports
@ 2016-12-02  8:44 ` KOBAYASHI Yoshitake
From: KOBAYASHI Yoshitake @ 2016-12-02  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

Since the Intel Apollo Lake has already released, we started to check the
patches for that. I think the basic functionality has already upstreamed
and it might be enough for expected use cases.

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-4.4/log/?h=standard/intel/bxt-rebase

I continue to clarify more details.

Best regards,
Yoshi