* Git for Windows no longer on Google Code
@ 2014-07-03 15:11 Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2014-07-03 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msysgit; +Cc: git

Dear friends of Git,

the Git for Windows team, myself included, tried quite a couple of times
to mark the old home of Git for Windows on Google Code as obsolete.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to disable issue trackers nor downloads
(and Google Search helpfully insists on listing them as top hits, still).

It is not even possible to forward to a new project home: we tried
literally twenty times to hit the "Project moved" button with the new URL
-- http://msysgit.github.io/ -- but all it did was reset the URL to
"http://" and give a "500. That's an error." when browsing the old URL.

The link supposedly allowing to report the error leads to a read-only
knowledge base with no way to inform any responsible developer of the bug.

The only way was to delete the old project home, with no automatic
redirection and no hint for users where to look instead.

Therefore it is with great sadness that I have to resort to sending this
mail and hoping that it reaches at least a part of the people who are from
now on undoubtedly surprised to see a "Google. One account. All of
Google." page instead of being forwarded to http://msysgit.github.io/.

I am seriously sorry about the inconvenience, wishing there was anything
I could do about this,
Johannes

* Re: Git for Windows no longer on Google Code
@ 2014-07-04 17:03 ` Jakub Narębski
From: Jakub Narębski @ 2014-07-04 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin, msysgit; +Cc: git

Shouldn't this message be marked [ANNOUNCE] in subject?

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Dear friends of Git,
>
> the Git for Windows team, myself included, tried quite a couple of times
> to mark the old home of Git for Windows on Google Code as obsolete.
>
> Unfortunately, it is not possible to disable issue trackers nor downloads
> (and Google Search helpfully insists on listing them as top hits, still).
[...]

Hmmm... Thrust also moved to GitHub, but didn't disable Google Code page...

--
Jakub Narębski

* Re: Git for Windows no longer on Google Code
@ 2014-07-04 17:10   ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2014-07-04 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Narębski; +Cc: msysgit, git

Hi Jakub,

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Jakub Narębski wrote:

> Shouldn't this message be marked [ANNOUNCE] in subject?

Well, I did not exactly announce something.

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
> > the Git for Windows team, myself included, tried quite a couple of
> > times to mark the old home of Git for Windows on Google Code as
> > obsolete.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it is not possible to disable issue trackers nor
> > downloads (and Google Search helpfully insists on listing them as top
> > hits, still).
> [...]
>
> Hmmm... Thrust also moved to GitHub, but didn't disable Google Code page...

Good for them.

We had people who *still* downloaded the now thoroughly obsolete versions
from Google Code. It was not enough to mark all of the downloads as
deprecated, even.

And if things work for Thrust: good for them. Things just happened not to
work for the Git for Windows project, is all.

Ciao,
Johannes

*** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
*** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
*** Please avoid top-posting. ***
The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

msysgit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "msysGit" group.

* Re: Git for Windows no longer on Google Code
@ 2014-07-07 22:03 ` Robert Dailey
From: Robert Dailey @ 2014-07-07 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msysgit; +Cc: git