* [Xen-devel] Where's Xen VGA console kbd driver?
@ 2019-12-31 22:17 Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2019-12-31 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi!

here's a silly question: whenever Xen is provided with a VGA console,
where's the keyboard driver coming from? Quick to my surprise, my
casual inspection of the drivers/ folder didn't reveal much.

Did I miss something obvious?

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [Xen-devel] Where's Xen VGA console kbd driver?
@ 2020-01-01  6:46 ` Manfred Haertel, DB3HM
From: Manfred Haertel, DB3HM @ 2020-01-01  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Roman Shaposhnik schrieb:

> whenever Xen is provided with a VGA console,
> where's the keyboard driver coming from?

It's in qemu, see qemu/hw/display/xenfb.c in the source tree

--
Manfred Härtel, DB3HM    mailto:Manfred.Haertel@rz-online.de
                          http://rz-home.de/mhaertel

* Re: [Xen-devel] Where's Xen VGA console kbd driver?
@ 2020-01-03 11:11 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2020-01-03 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Shaposhnik; +Cc: xen-devel

On 31.12.2019 23:17, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> here's a silly question: whenever Xen is provided with a VGA console,
> where's the keyboard driver coming from? Quick to my surprise, my
> casual inspection of the drivers/ folder didn't reveal much.

How do "VGA console" and "keyboard driver" match up? The former
is an output device; in Xen there simply is no input counterpart.
If you need one with both input and output, you'll need to make
use of a serial console, not the VGA one.

Jan

* Re: [Xen-devel] Where's Xen VGA console kbd driver?
@ 2020-01-03 18:17   ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2020-01-03 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 3:10 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

> On 31.12.2019 23:17, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> > here's a silly question: whenever Xen is provided with a VGA console,
> > where's the keyboard driver coming from? Quick to my surprise, my
> > casual inspection of the drivers/ folder didn't reveal much.
>
> How do "VGA console" and "keyboard driver" match up? The former
> is an output device; in Xen there simply is no input counterpart.
> If you need one with both input and output, you'll need to make
> use of a serial console, not the VGA one.

This answers it perfectly! Thank you Jan.

Thanks,
Roman.