* Support for various sdio wifi-chips on Allwinner tablets and SBCs
@ 2016-08-07 19:25 Hans de Goede
       [not found] ` <5844eef2-71bd-bbb9-dff6-92e01a393b36-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Hans de Goede @ 2016-08-07 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sunxi, linux-mmc-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: Chen-Yu Tsai, Maxime Ripard, Icenowy Zheng, Jean-Francois Moine,
	Bastien Nocera

Hi All,

Recently I've been working on getting the sdio-wifi, found on
many a23 / a33 tablets as well as on some a10s hdmi sticks and
on various h3 SBCs such as the Orange Pi, to work with the
mainline kernel.

If you use my sunxi-wip kernel branch (which has some dts bits
to enable this as well as some misc. bits, which I'm all
trying to get upstream) together with one of the following
out of tree drivers, you should be able to get your wifi to
work.

RTL8723BS or RTL8703AS wifi:
----------------------------
git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8723bs.git
cd rtl8723bs
make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux

Do not forget to copy *.bin to /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ on
the target system.

Many thanks to Bastien Nocera for his great work on the
rtl8723bs driver, my repo just adds 2 small fixes
to also make the rtl8703as work.

RTL8189ES / RTL8189ETV
----------------------
git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
cd rtl8189ES_linux.git
make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux

Thanks to Jean-Francois Moine for his initial work on getting
the RTL8989ES code to run with upstream kernels.

RTL8189FTV
----------
git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
cd rtl8189ES_linux.git
git checkout -B rtl8189fs origin/rtl8189fs
make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux

ESP8089
-------
git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/esp8089.git
git checkout -B cleanup origin/cleanup
cd ../linux
make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- modules M=../esp8089 CONFIG_ESP8089=m

Do not forget to copy firmware/*.bin to /lib/firmware/ on
the target system.

Many thanks to Icenowy for his work on the esp8089 driver.

I hope this is useful to at least some of you.

A quick note for Orange Pi users, the older models H3 based
Pi-s use a soldered on wifi module with the RTL8189ETV.
The newer models (the PC Plus, Lite and Plus 2E) use the
RTL8189FTV soldered directly onto the PCB.

Regards,

Hans

* Re: Support for various sdio wifi-chips on Allwinner tablets and SBCs
       [not found] ` <5844eef2-71bd-bbb9-dff6-92e01a393b36-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-08-12  3:47   ` Icenowy Zheng
From: Icenowy Zheng @ 2016-08-12  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, linux-sunxi, linux-mmc-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: Chen-Yu Tsai, Maxime Ripard, Jean-Francois Moine, Bastien Nocera

08.08.2016, 03:25, "Hans de Goede" <j.w.r.degoede-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
> Hi All,
>
> Recently I've been working on getting the sdio-wifi, found on
> many a23 / a33 tablets as well as on some a10s hdmi sticks and
> on various h3 SBCs such as the Orange Pi, to work with the
> mainline kernel.
>
> If you use my sunxi-wip kernel branch (which has some dts bits
> to enable this as well as some misc. bits, which I'm all
> trying to get upstream) together with one of the following
> out of tree drivers, you should be able to get your wifi to
> work.
>
> RTL8723BS or RTL8703AS wifi:
> ----------------------------
> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8723bs.git
> cd rtl8723bs
> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux
>
> Do not forget to copy *.bin to /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ on
> the target system.
>
> Many thanks to Bastien Nocera for his great work on the
> rtl8723bs driver, my repo just adds 2 small fixes
> to also make the rtl8703as work.
>
> RTL8189ES / RTL8189ETV
> ----------------------
> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
> cd rtl8189ES_linux.git
> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux
>
> Thanks to Jean-Francois Moine for his initial work on getting
> the RTL8989ES code to run with upstream kernels.
>
> RTL8189FTV
> ----------
> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
> cd rtl8189ES_linux.git
> git checkout -B rtl8189fs origin/rtl8189fs
> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux
>
> ESP8089
> -------
> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/esp8089.git
> git checkout -B cleanup origin/cleanup
> cd ../linux
> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- modules M=../esp8089 CONFIG_ESP8089=m
>
> Do not forget to copy firmware/*.bin to /lib/firmware/ on
> the target system.
>
> Many thanks to Icenowy for his work on the esp8089 driver.

Could you please use "her"? ;-)

@ 2016-09-04  4:54   ` Julian Calaby
From: Julian Calaby @ 2016-09-04  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jwrdegoede-rxtnV0ftBwyoClj4AeEUq9i2O/JbrIOy
  Cc: linux-sunxi, linux-mmc-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Chen-Yu Tsai,
	Maxime Ripard, Icenowy Zheng, Jean-Francois Moine,
	Bastien Nocera

Hi All,

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Recently I've been working on getting the sdio-wifi, found on
> many a23 / a33 tablets as well as on some a10s hdmi sticks and
> on various h3 SBCs such as the Orange Pi, to work with the
> mainline kernel.
>
> If you use my sunxi-wip kernel branch (which has some dts bits
> to enable this as well as some misc. bits, which I'm all
> trying to get upstream) together with one of the following
> out of tree drivers, you should be able to get your wifi to
> work.
>
> ESP8089
> -------
> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/esp8089.git
> git checkout -B cleanup origin/cleanup
> cd ../linux
> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- modules M=../esp8089
> CONFIG_ESP8089=m
>
> Do not forget to copy firmware/*.bin to /lib/firmware/ on
> the target system.
>
> Many thanks to Icenowy for her work on the esp8089 driver.

The popular ESP8266 microcontrollers that have become rather popular
recently are rebranded ESP8089s. If you want to test this driver and
lack a board with one built in, here are some instructions on using
ESP-03 boards as an SDIO WiFi card on a Raspberry Pi:

https://hackaday.io/project/8678-rpi-wifi

This project eventually evolved into a RasPi hat, however the initial
instructions should be usable with any development board with exposed
SDIO lines by anyone who isn't afraid of fine-pitch soldering.

Julian Calaby

Email: julian.calaby-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/

@ 2017-01-14 14:08   ` Icenowy Zheng
From: Icenowy Zheng @ 2017-01-14 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, linux-sunxi, linux-mmc-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: Chen-Yu Tsai, Maxime Ripard, Jean-Francois Moine, Bastien Nocera

08.08.2016, 03:25, "Hans de Goede" <j.w.r.degoede-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
> Hi All,
>
> Recently I've been working on getting the sdio-wifi, found on
> many a23 / a33 tablets as well as on some a10s hdmi sticks and
> on various h3 SBCs such as the Orange Pi, to work with the
> mainline kernel.
>
> If you use my sunxi-wip kernel branch (which has some dts bits
> to enable this as well as some misc. bits, which I'm all
> trying to get upstream) together with one of the following
> out of tree drivers, you should be able to get your wifi to
> work.
>
> RTL8723BS or RTL8703AS wifi:
> ----------------------------
> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8723bs.git
> cd rtl8723bs
> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux
>
> Do not forget to copy *.bin to /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ on
> the target system.
>
> Many thanks to Bastien Nocera for his great work on the
> rtl8723bs driver, my repo just adds 2 small fixes
> to also make the rtl8703as work.
>
> RTL8189ES / RTL8189ETV
> ----------------------
> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
> cd rtl8189ES_linux.git
> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux
>
> Thanks to Jean-Francois Moine for his initial work on getting
> the RTL8989ES code to run with upstream kernels.
>
> RTL8189FTV
> ----------
> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
> cd rtl8189ES_linux.git
> git checkout -B rtl8189fs origin/rtl8189fs
> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux

Excuse me for replying such an old email...

If a distro want to provide both 8189es and 8189fs in a kernel package,
is blacklisting one of them on boards needed?

@ 2017-01-15 10:51     ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-01-15 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Icenowy Zheng, linux-sunxi, linux-mmc
  Cc: Chen-Yu Tsai, Maxime Ripard, Jean-Francois Moine, Bastien Nocera

Hi,

On 14-01-17 15:08, Icenowy Zheng wrote:

> 08.08.2016, 03:25, "Hans de Goede" <j.w.r.degoede@gmail.com>:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Recently I've been working on getting the sdio-wifi, found on
>> many a23 / a33 tablets as well as on some a10s hdmi sticks and
>> on various h3 SBCs such as the Orange Pi, to work with the
>> mainline kernel.
>>
>> If you use my sunxi-wip kernel branch (which has some dts bits
>> to enable this as well as some misc. bits, which I'm all
>> trying to get upstream) together with one of the following
>> out of tree drivers, you should be able to get your wifi to
>> work.
>>
>> RTL8723BS or RTL8703AS wifi:
>> ----------------------------
>> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8723bs.git
>> cd rtl8723bs
>> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux
>>
>> Do not forget to copy *.bin to /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ on
>> the target system.
>>
>> Many thanks to Bastien Nocera for his great work on the
>> rtl8723bs driver, my repo just adds 2 small fixes
>> to also make the rtl8703as work.
>>
>> RTL8189ES / RTL8189ETV
>> ----------------------
>> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
>> cd rtl8189ES_linux.git
>> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux
>>
>> Thanks to Jean-Francois Moine for his initial work on getting
>> the RTL8989ES code to run with upstream kernels.
>>
>> RTL8189FTV
>> ----------
>> git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
>> cd rtl8189ES_linux.git
>> git checkout -B rtl8189fs origin/rtl8189fs
>> make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- KSRC=../linux
>>

> Excuse me for replying such an old email...
>
> If a distro want to provide both 8189es and 8189fs in a kernel package,
> is blacklisting one of them on boards needed?

I believe not, IIRC the both have a separate sdio device-id, but I'm
not sure...

Regards,

Hans