* [Ocfs2-devel] kernel BUG at ocfs2/alloc.c:1514
@ 2017-05-17 18:12 Russell Mosemann
From: Russell Mosemann @ 2017-05-17 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

Copious stack traces available at

Russell Mosemann
IT Manager | Future Foam, Inc.
1610 Avenue N | Council Bluffs, IA 51501-1071
O: (712) 323-9122 Ext 228
F: (712) 323-0158
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Ocfs2-devel] kernel BUG at ocfs2/alloc.c:1514
@ 2017-05-18  7:11 ` Gang He
From: Gang He @ 2017-05-18  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

Hello Russell,

I just went through the bug description from the link below,
Could you always meet this issue in your testing environment? since it looks like a simple direct write.
Second, could you describe the whole reproduce steps in details or provide a testing script which can make this bug happen?
Because, in our normal environment, I believe we can not meet this bug easily since the kernel version v4.9 is very new.

Thanks
Gang

@ 2017-05-18 12:07   ` Russell Mosemann
From: Russell Mosemann @ 2017-05-18 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocfs2-devel

There is no need for testing. The bug is documented. Someone made the decision to crash the code rather than handle the condition. See the git commit below.

    BUG_ON(meta_ac == NULL);

Some information is in a January posting to this list from Ben Hutchings.
https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-devel/2017-January/012701.html

++++++?
meta_ac is passed down from ocfs2_dio_end_io_write(), which allocates
it using ocfs2_lock_allocators()... but the latter only allocates it conditionally.  It seems like the condition is wrong somehow.
++++++

Additional insight was provided by Ian Campbell in March. It was sent this list, but I do not see it in the archive.

++++++
This still seems to be happening for this user with 4.9.13, looking at
"git log -p v4.9.13..origin/master -- fs/ocfs2" I wonder if
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/3e10b793fc40dfdbe51762e0d084bd6f2c8acaaa
might be relevant?

The commit message mentions meta_ac not getting allocated and an extent
split vs refcount split differentiation and we have ocfs2_split_extent
in the trace. Slim reasoning I know, maybe someone who knows the code
could make a better determination.
++++++

@ 2017-06-21 12:24   ` Russell Mosemann
From: Russell Mosemann @ 2017-06-21 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)