* Wildly different output sizes between subsequent perf record runs.
@ 2017-11-04  1:57 Bram Stolk
From: Bram Stolk @ 2017-11-04  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

If I do subsequent runs of 'perf record', both of which are identical,
I sometimes get wildly different output sizes.

https://gist.github.com/stolk/3666b2b4d4319764fdff4a2d4c619782

The binary did the same amount of work, and took the same amount of
time to execute.
This is with using perf from Ubuntu LTS.

* Re: Wildly different output sizes between subsequent perf record runs.
@ 2017-11-06 12:06 ` Milian Wolff
From: Milian Wolff @ 2017-11-06 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bram Stolk; +Cc: linux-perf-users, Arnaldo Carvalho

On Samstag, 4. November 2017 02:57:01 CET Bram Stolk wrote:
> If I do subsequent runs of 'perf record', both of which are identical,
> I sometimes get wildly different output sizes.
>

> https://gist.github.com/stolk/3666b2b4d4319764fdff4a2d4c619782
>
> The binary did the same amount of work, and took the same amount of
> time to execute.
> This is with using perf from Ubuntu LTS.

I think this is the same bug that I have raised before. See https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg1479712.html and below.

Can you try to run your command with a constant period (`-c 3000000` or
similar), instead of using a dynamic period (i.e. `--freq`)? Does the issue go
away then? If yes, then it's the same issue that I described earlier, which
noone else from the perf team has acknowledged so far. I know multiple people
who are affected by this though...

--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: +49-30-521325470

* Re: Wildly different output sizes between subsequent perf record runs.
@ 2017-11-06 17:38   ` Bram Stolk
From: Bram Stolk @ 2017-11-06 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milian Wolff; +Cc: linux-perf-users, Arnaldo Carvalho

Thanks Milian,

This issue is too elusive.
Today I can no longer reproduce the issue with short data runs, even
though I use the same perf binary on the same system with same
arguments.
Not sure what has changed.

I'll try to reboot and try again, see if I can trigger it on a 'colder' machine.

--
Owner/Director of Game Studio Abraham Stolk Inc.
Vancouver BC, Canada