* [lustre-devel] Compact layouts
@ 2018-11-16 18:06 Patrick Farrell
From: Patrick Farrell @ 2018-11-16 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

All,

There is an old idea for reducing the data required to describe file striping by using a bitmap to record which OSTs are in use.  As best I can tell, this was most recently described here:
http://wiki.lustre.org/Layout_Enhancement_Solution_Architecture#Compact_Layouts_2

I?m curious if this has been pursued any further, if there?s a JIRA or other place that might have more info or be tracking the idea.  I poked around and didn?t find anything.

In particular, this comment:
?with enough data that for each OST index set in the bitmap, a corresponding OST object FID may be computed?
Points at the difficult part of implementing this.

So, before I get too far considering this problem - Is there more out there somewhere?  Hoping to avoid duplicating work!

Thanks,

  *   Patrick