* [Buildroot] ISO format improvements
@ 2016-09-07  7:42 Benoît Allard
From: Benoît Allard @ 2016-09-07  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi guys,

We are building a custom ISO image as part of our build process, and
I'd like to contribute our 'improvements' upstream.

Major features of our ISO image:

- both EFI and BIOS boot system
- bootable as 'iso' (CD), or when dd'd to a usb stick
- has some data on the ISO itself (outside of the initramfs)

xorriso (as opposed to the currently used genisoimage) has builtin
support for all this.

About the EFI part, one need to build a FAT image with the necessary
stuff.

I'm sending this mail in order to plan together the various steps
necessary to achieve the upstream integration.

I see multiple tracks:

1. build a FAT EFI bootable image format (to be used as dependency later
   on)

   At the moment, we achieve that with the mkfs.vfat, mmd and mcopy. the
   image only contains syslinux.efi (+ ldlinux.e64 + config), the
   kernel, and the cpio image.

2. the switch to xorriso.

   I remember some time ago that it was a wished step anyway that
   would allow to get rid of cmake on the host-system (very slow to
   build).

3. some modification to the iso9660.mk to allow initramfs + 'read-only
   data' on the disc.

   Either call a script that copy the right data, or use an overlay
   directory, maybe a combination of both ?

What do you guys think ? Is that something that is wished at all ? Did
I missed some obvious ways to generate what I wish with the current
setup ? What's the best way to move on ?

Best Regards,
Ben.
> We are building a custom ISO image as part of our build process, and
> I'd like to contribute our 'improvements' upstream.

 Our ISO images, though much improved already about a year ago, are still not
that great, so this is indeed very welcome.

> Major features of our ISO image:
>
> - both EFI and BIOS boot system

 Yeah, EFI is currently broken. Cfr. [1].

> - bootable as 'iso' (CD), or when dd'd to a usb stick

 Well, we do already have isohybrid support.

> - has some data on the ISO itself (outside of the initramfs)
>
> xorriso (as opposed to the currently used genisoimage) has builtin
> support for all this.

 No problem switching to xorriso.

> About the EFI part, one need to build a FAT image with the necessary
> stuff.
>
> I'm sending this mail in order to plan together the various steps
> necessary to achieve the upstream integration.
>
> I see multiple tracks:
>
> 1. build a FAT EFI bootable image format (to be used as dependency later
>    on)
>
>    At the moment, we achieve that with the mkfs.vfat, mmd and mcopy. the
>    image only contains syslinux.efi (+ ldlinux.e64 + config), the
>    kernel, and the cpio image.

 I guess the idea is that a FAT partition will always be needed for EFI boot,
right? However, it's a bit difficult to do this in a generic (user-configurable)
way, because you have to decide which things to store in the FAT and under what
name, and I don't think this is always the same. Well, maybe it is for EFI.

 For other boards, which often have a ROMboot that will look for a FAT partition
on an SD card, we have custom genimage config files for each board.

 Oh, for sure, you'll want to use genimage rather than explicitly coding mmd
etc. commands.

> 2. the switch to xorriso.
>
>    I remember some time ago that it was a wished step anyway that
>    would allow to get rid of cmake on the host-system (very slow to
>    build).

 Well, there's a patch to avoid building cmake that is about to be committed :-)
But as I already said, switching to xorriso is probably a good thing. Best make
that the first patch in the series.

> 3. some modification to the iso9660.mk to allow initramfs + 'read-only
>    data' on the disc.
>
>    Either call a script that copy the right data, or use an overlay
>    directory, maybe a combination of both ?

 In general, the idea is that the buildroot filesystem support is just the
simple thing, and more complicated setups would use a custom genimage
configuration. Because if it goes beyond a simple bootable rootfs, there are so
many possibilities that we're most likely not going cover after all.

 The ISO support is a bit special in that, because the genimage support is a bit
limited (e.g. no hybrid) and, well, ISO is rather special. So maybe, yes.

> What do you guys think ? Is that something that is wished at all ? Did
> I missed some obvious ways to generate what I wish with the current
> setup ? What's the best way to move on ?

 Post patches :-)

 A word of warning, though: this is the type of patch that often lingers a long
time before someone looks at it. Try to post it end of September, then we're
likely to go over them during the BR developer meeting.

 Regards,
 Arnout

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38098317/no-such-file-or-directory-grub-eltorito-img/38100762