* [virtio-dev] vhost-user to interconnect vm's
@ 2017-10-24 14:07 Avi Cohen (A)
From: Avi Cohen (A) @ 2017-10-24 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio-dev; +Cc: Ofer Ben-Yacov

Hello,
I wonder if it is possible to directly connect 2  VM's (without host intervention) with  vhost-user interface , so one VM is slave and the 2nd  is the master.
I can connect the VM's with OVS-DPDK (or VPP)  in the middle - but this requires an extra copy.
Best Regards
Avi

* Re: [virtio-dev] vhost-user to interconnect vm's
@ 2017-10-24 22:25 ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2017-10-24 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Cohen (A); +Cc: virtio-dev, Ofer Ben-Yacov, Wei Wang

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 02:07:21PM +0000, Avi Cohen (A) wrote:
> Hello,
> I wonder if it is possible to directly connect 2  VM's (without host intervention) with  vhost-user interface , so one VM is slave and the 2nd  is the master.
> I can connect the VM's with OVS-DPDK (or VPP)  in the middle - but this requires an extra copy.
> Best Regards
> Avi

This is the vhost-pci set of patches. They are not upstream yet -
last version - v2 - was posted back in May. Cc Wei Wang for an
update on the status. It would be great if you could try them out.

* Re: [virtio-dev] vhost-user to interconnect vm's
@ 2017-10-25  0:48   ` Wei Wang
From: Wei Wang @ 2017-10-25  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin, Avi Cohen (A)
  Cc: virtio-dev, Ofer Ben-Yacov, zhiyong.yang

On 10/25/2017 06:25 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 02:07:21PM +0000, Avi Cohen (A) wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I wonder if it is possible to directly connect 2  VM's (without host intervention) with  vhost-user interface , so one VM is slave and the 2nd  is the master.
>> I can connect the VM's with OVS-DPDK (or VPP)  in the middle - but this requires an extra copy.
>> Best Regards
>> Avi
>
> This is the vhost-pci set of patches. They are not upstream yet -
> last version - v2 - was posted back in May. Cc Wei Wang for an
> update on the status. It would be great if you could try them out.

We have started to implement the DPDK PMD of vhost-pci, since
it is simpler and has better performance than the kernel driver.

We are also trying to make a simpler QEMU implementation than v2,
for example, the vhost-pci device will be statically set up via qemu
command line, instead of being hot-plugged on demand.

We would be able to send out the new version in a month or two.

Best,
Wei

* RE: [virtio-dev] vhost-user to interconnect vm's
@ 2017-10-25  7:34     ` Avi Cohen (A)
From: Avi Cohen (A) @ 2017-10-25  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Wang, Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: virtio-dev, Ofer Ben-Yacov, zhiyong.yang

Thank you Michael and Wei
What is the estimated time for kernel-driver implementation ?
Best Regards
Avi

@ 2017-10-25 11:47       ` Wei Wang
       [not found]         ` <B84047ECBD981D4B93EAE5A6245AA36101592F70@FRAEML521-MBX.china.huawei.com>
From: Wei Wang @ 2017-10-25 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Cohen (A), Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: virtio-dev, Ofer Ben-Yacov, zhiyong.yang

On 10/25/2017 03:34 PM, Avi Cohen (A) wrote:
> Thank you Michael and Wei
> What is the estimated time for kernel-driver implementation ?
> Best Regards
> Avi

We have some initial draft kernel driver code for the old design:
driver: https://github.com/wei-w-wang/vhost-pci-driver
device: https://github.com/wei-w-wang/vhost-pci-device

But don't have a plan to continue to work on the kernel driver until the
QEMU part gets upstreammed with dpdk pmd.

Best,
Wei

@ 2017-12-04 23:58           ` Wang, Wei W
From: Wang, Wei W @ 2017-12-04 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Cohen (A), Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: virtio-dev, Ofer Ben-Yacov, Yang, Zhiyong

On Monday, December 4, 2017 9:38 PM, Avi Cohen (A) wrote:

> Hi Wei,
> Regarding the kernel (not dpdk) mode:
> V1:
> I understand that these (v1) patches should be installed in the guest kernel.
> I don't understand what is the status of the qemu patch for v1 ? where can I
> find it ?
>
> V2:
> Currently there is no QEMU support - correct ?
> Best Regards
> Avi

Hi Avi,

The above links are actually v2 QEMU and the draft guest kernel driver.

Best,
Wei