* configuring lpc register from user space
@ 2019-01-23  0:02 Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-01-23  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Team,
I know /dev/mem is not supported in production, I need to configure some lpc register to route uart output, so please suggest what is the best ways to do the same. Is there any application or driver interface available which can be used to set some lpc register like 0x1E78909C.

Regards
-Vijay

* Re: configuring lpc register from user space
@ 2019-01-23  1:56 ` Li, Yong B
From: Li, Yong B @ 2019-01-23  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, openbmc; +Cc: cheng.c.yang, osk

Hi Vijay,

For the UART routeing, there is a kernel device driver, it will export
several entities in sysfs, you can adjust the routing.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/969238/

Thanks,
Yong

@ 2019-01-23  5:22 ` Tony_Ao
From: Tony_Ao @ 2019-01-23  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vijaykhemka, openbmc

Hi Vijay,

If you want to use devmem to set the specific register, you can append mem.devmem to bootargs and restart the system.

Then you can set the specific register using devmem.
You can refer the below link for details.
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/982894/

Regards,
Tony

@ 2019-01-23 18:25   ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-01-23 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony_Ao, openbmc

Hi Tony,
How do you append this to bootargs, can you please give me some example and I have to enable this in my production code.

Regards
-Vijay

From: "Tony_Ao@wiwynn.com" <Tony_Ao@wiwynn.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 9:22 PM
To: Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com>, "openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: RE: configuring lpc register from user space

Hi Vijay,

If you want to use devmem to set the specific register, you can append mem.devmem to bootargs and restart the system.

Then you can set the specific register using devmem.
You can refer the below link for details.
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/982894/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__patchwork.ozlabs.org_patch_982894_&d=DwMGaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=KA69FVnlR8bLEMZ31BR4OQYBvagLgpv1hn8STKGirbo&s=hzAe_Ozp-uao2QqzTI-4i7xWFnFPihbN1lFEqIUy0aA&e=>

Regards,
Tony

@ 2019-01-23 18:38   ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-01-23 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li, Yong B, openbmc; +Cc: cheng.c.yang, osk

Thanks Yong for this but this patch is still not in repo. Do you know what is pending for approval?

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__patchwork.ozlabs.org_patch_969238_&d=DwICaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=FPjuQE-vH3NllpMZmlCDWa2fXoKbUEFWyMRdjmFez4s&s=ibQDI51HRHoTXy8LbzU8h2XKwukG5Ua4wESbWL1aa9I&e=

@ 2019-01-24  1:30     ` Tony_Ao
From: Tony_Ao @ 2019-01-24  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vijaykhemka, openbmc

Hi Vijay,

The following steps for your reference.

In BMC OS,

1.      Use fw_printenv to check the bootargs

2.      Use fw_setenv to append mem.devmem=1 to the bootargs
root@tiogapass:~# fw_setenv bootargs console=ttyS4,115200n8 root=/dev/ram rw mem.devmem=1

3.      Use fw_printenv to check the bootargs again

4.      Reboot the BMC system

5.      When BMC is ready, you can use devmem to modify the register values

The snapshots:
[cid:image002.png@01D4B3C7.7B047320]

[cid:image003.png@01D4B3C7.7B047320]

Regards,
Tony

How do you append this to bootargs, can you please give me some example and I have to enable this in my production code.

Regards
-Vijay

I know /dev/mem is not supported in production, I need to configure some lpc register to route uart output, so please suggest what is the best ways to do the same. Is there any application or driver interface available which can be used to set some lpc register like 0x1E78909C.

Regards
-Vijay

[-- Attachment #2: image002.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17926 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: image003.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 2585 bytes --]

* Re: configuring lpc register from user space
@ 2019-01-24 18:35       ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-01-24 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony_Ao, openbmc

Hi Tony,
It is not feasible to set boot parameter and reboot in production release. We need to set some lpc register while system is booting.

Regards
-Vijay

From: "Tony_Ao@wiwynn.com" <Tony_Ao@wiwynn.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 5:31 PM
To: Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com>, "openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>

Hi Vijay,

The following steps for your reference.

In BMC OS,

  1.  Use fw_printenv to check the bootargs
  2.  Use fw_setenv to append mem.devmem=1 to the bootargs
root@tiogapass:~# fw_setenv bootargs console=ttyS4,115200n8 root=/dev/ram rw mem.devmem=1

  1.  Use fw_printenv to check the bootargs again
  2.  Reboot the BMC system
  3.  When BMC is ready, you can use devmem to modify the register values

The snapshots:
[cid:image002.png@01D4B3C7.7B047320]

[cid:image003.png@01D4B3C7.7B047320]

Regards,
Tony

How do you append this to bootargs, can you please give me some example and I have to enable this in my production code.

Regards
-Vijay

I know /dev/mem is not supported in production, I need to configure some lpc register to route uart output, so please suggest what is the best ways to do the same. Is there any application or driver interface available which can be used to set some lpc register like 0x1E78909C.

Regards
-Vijay

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17927 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: image002.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 2586 bytes --]

* Re: configuring lpc register from user space
@ 2019-01-24 23:05   ` Amithash Prasad
From: Amithash Prasad @ 2019-01-24 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li, Yong B, Vijay Khemka, openbmc; +Cc: cheng.c.yang, osk

> For the UART routeing, there is a kernel device driver, it will export
> several entities in sysfs, you can adjust the routing.
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/969238/
Looks like this driver never made it into the mainline kernel.

* RE: configuring lpc register from user space
@ 2019-01-25  1:58         ` Tony_Ao
From: Tony_Ao @ 2019-01-25  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vijaykhemka, openbmc

Hi Vijay,

Maybe you can try this way.
Use ‘mknod -m 660 /dev/mem c 1 1’ to create /dev/mem in the BMC runtime system(This way does not require a system reboot. Please refer to Snapshot#1)
But /dev/mem will disappear when you reboot the system.

So I suggest you can use the mknod to create /dev/mem in the runtime environment.
In order to avoid the /dev/mem disappear when system rebooting, you can use mem.devmem parameters(once you set it, the value will be kept in the flash) to prevent this situation.
You can refer to mem.devmem setting in the previous mail.

Snapshot#1
[cid:image003.png@01D4B48F.40B713D0]

[...]

[-- Attachment #4: image003.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7134 bytes --]

* Re: configuring lpc register from user space
@ 2019-01-25  2:36           ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-01-25  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony_Ao, openbmc

Thanks Tony,