* OMAP3 PM: off-mode during idle, problem with UART1 console
@ 2009-06-16 21:05 Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2009-06-16 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajendra Nayak, Richard Woodruff; +Cc: linux-omap

Rajendra, Richard,

Hoping you can shed some light, or give me some direction on where to
debug this further...

With the latest PM branch, I've notice that off-while idle isn't
working on the SDP, but the same kernel works fine on the RX51.
RET-while-idle works fine on both.  This is with CPUidle disabled, so
just using the default idle where MPU and CORE are changed together.

More specifically, it seems to be the UART1 (CORE) console that never
comes back from off-while-idle, but the UART3 (PER) console on RX51
works.

On SDP, if I

# echo 1 > /sys/power/enable_off_mode
# echo 1 > /sys/power/voltage_off_while_idle
# echo 1 > /sys/power/sleep_while_idle

After the UART inactivty timeout of 5 seconds, I start to see the
sys_off_mode LED toggling between red and green with system timer
wakeups.

If I then push a key on the UART1 console, the LED goes green, stays
for the 5 second UART inactivity and then goes back to toggling
red/green again.  However, I never get my console back and never see
the characters on my console.

If I keep typing, I keep the system from going back off (based on
sys_off_mode LED) and as soon as I stop typing long enough for the
inactivity timer to expiere (5 seconds) it goes back into off.

Any ideas what's going on here?

On RX51, the same thing works using UART3.

Kevin

* RE: OMAP3 PM: off-mode during idle, problem with UART1 console
@ 2009-06-17  6:11 ` Nayak, Rajendra
From: Nayak, Rajendra @ 2009-06-17  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Hilman, Woodruff, Richard; +Cc: linux-omap

Kevin,

What Silicon Rev does your SDP have? I currently am using an ES3.1 based SDP
and I havent seen any of these issues you have reported with off-while-idle.

Infact I have kept the board running overnight a couple times in the last week
with off-while-idle and voltage scaling to 0v enabled, mainly to test the recent
patch set (disabling Auto idle for PER in scratchpad memory) for stability.

I will see if I can get hold of an ES3 and ES2.1 based SDP's and see if I reproduce
the issue. Besides I use nfs and I am not sure if that's got something to do with it.
Will try a ramdisk also.

Does it take you a while to reproduce this, or is it seen after the very first UART
inactivity?

regards,
Rajendra

@ 2009-06-17 14:38   ` Woodruff, Richard
From: Woodruff, Richard @ 2009-06-17 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nayak, Rajendra, Kevin Hilman; +Cc: linux-omap

Kevin,

Can you ping the system via network during on time?
        - generate some activity on uart to be awake then try.

Why not fire up a second tty/shell on UART3 or just try with uart 3 on SDP.  Bootargs change is easy enough.
        - this can say if you have uart specific issue or maybe core vs per

Did you hook up your emulator and connect during awake time of uart timer?  It should really tell a lot.

Regards,
Richard W.

@ 2009-06-17 15:06   ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2009-06-17 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nayak, Rajendra; +Cc: Woodruff, Richard, linux-omap

"Nayak, Rajendra" <rnayak@ti.com> writes:

> What Silicon Rev does your SDP have? I currently am using an ES3.1 based SDP
> and I havent seen any of these issues you have reported with off-while-idle.

I have and ES3.0 SDP.

> Infact I have kept the board running overnight a couple times in the last week
> with off-while-idle and voltage scaling to 0v enabled, mainly to test the recent
> patch set (disabling Auto idle for PER in scratchpad memory) for stability.

Ah, great.  That is really good to know.  Are you using omap_3430sdp_pm_defconfig?

I see the same problems with and without your patches.

> I will see if I can get hold of an ES3 and ES2.1 based SDP's and see if I reproduce
> the issue. Besides I use nfs and I am not sure if that's got something to do with it.
> Will try a ramdisk also.

I'm using a ramdisk.

> Does it take you a while to reproduce this, or is it seen after the very first UART
> inactivity?

It happens on the first try.

Could you try my uImage which has my initramfs rootfs built-in on your
ES3.1 SDP?

   http://userweb.kernel.org/~khilman/tmp/rajendra/uImage.pm-vanilla

Immediately after booting, I do

# echo 1 > /sys/power/enable_off_mode
# echo 1 > /sys/power/voltage_off_while_idle
# echo 1 > /sys/power/sleep_while_idle

and after UART inactivity, I start to see sys_off_mode LED blinking.

Kevin

@ 2009-06-17 15:07     ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2009-06-17 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woodruff, Richard; +Cc: Nayak, Rajendra, linux-omap

"Woodruff, Richard" <r-woodruff2@ti.com> writes:

> Can you ping the system via network during on time?

Yes.

>         - generate some activity on uart to be awake then try.

Yes, ping works before, after and during off-while-idle.

> Why not fire up a second tty/shell on UART3 or just try with uart 3
> on SDP.  Bootargs change is easy enough.  - this can say if you have
> uart specific issue or maybe core vs per

Indeed, using UART3 on SDP works as expected, only UART 1 has the problem.

> Did you hook up your emulator and connect during awake time of uart timer?  It should really tell a lot.

Will give that a try.

Thanks,

Kevin

@ 2009-06-19  9:42     ` Nayak, Rajendra
From: Nayak, Rajendra @ 2009-06-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
>> What Silicon Rev does your SDP have? I currently am using an
>ES3.1 based SDP
>> and I havent seen any of these issues you have reported with
>off-while-idle.
>
>I have and ES3.0 SDP.
>
>> Infact I have kept the board running overnight a couple
>times in the last week
>> with off-while-idle and voltage scaling to 0v enabled,
>mainly to test the recent
>> patch set (disabling Auto idle for PER in scratchpad memory)
>for stability.
>
>Ah, great.  That is really good to know.  Are you using
>omap_3430sdp_pm_defconfig?
>
>I see the same problems with and without your patches.
>
>> I will see if I can get hold of an ES3 and ES2.1 based SDP's
>and see if I reproduce
>> the issue. Besides I use nfs and I am not sure if that's got
>something to do with it.
>> Will try a ramdisk also.
>
>I'm using a ramdisk.
>
>> Does it take you a while to reproduce this, or is it seen
>after the very first UART
>> inactivity?
>
>It happens on the first try.
>
>Could you try my uImage which has my initramfs rootfs built-in on your
>ES3.1 SDP?
>
>   http://userweb.kernel.org/~khilman/tmp/rajendra/uImage.pm-vanilla
>
>Immediately after booting, I do
>
># echo 1 > /sys/power/enable_off_mode
>
># echo 1 > /sys/power/voltage_off_while_idle
>
># echo 1 > /sys/power/sleep_while_idle
>

>and after UART inactivity, I start to see sys_off_mode LED blinking.

Kevin,

This image works just fine on both my ES3.1 GP as well as ES3.0 EMU SDP.
After the sys_off LED blinks, a key press stops the blinking and also gets
be the debug console back.

regards,
Rajendra

@ 2009-06-19 16:20       ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2009-06-19 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nayak, Rajendra; +Cc: Woodruff, Richard, linux-omap

"Nayak, Rajendra" <rnayak@ti.com> writes:

Rajendra,

Thanks a lot for testing.  It sounds like something specific to the
ES3.0 GP SDP.

@ 2009-06-19 16:40         ` Woodruff, Richard
From: Woodruff, Richard @ 2009-06-19 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Hilman, Nayak, Rajendra; +Cc: linux-omap

Are DIP switches the same?

ROM code may touch UART in one case and not the other.

Regards,
Richard W.