* Re: Question about reflink feature
       [not found] <5B582B43.8070207@cn.fujitsu.com>
@ 2018-07-25 19:16 ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2018-07-25 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao Yang; +Cc: xfs

[add linux-xfs to cc]

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 03:48:19PM +0800, Xiao Yang wrote:
> Hi Darrick,
>
> Sorry to bother you.
>
> Currently, all reflink tests for XFS in xfstests are skipped even if we
> use the lastest kernel and xfsprogs.
> It seems that mkfs.xfs doesn't enable reflink by default, do you want to
> enable it by default in later
> xfsprogs version?

It will be enabled by default when we've had a long enough period to
test it and make sure it's stable for general use.  That may happen some
time in early 2019.

> Shoud we enable it forcely by "mkfs.xfs -m reflink" in
> xfstests if mkfs.xfs supports it?

For now, yes.

--D

@ 2018-07-27  1:34   ` Xiao Yang
From: Xiao Yang @ 2018-07-27  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darrick J. Wong; +Cc: xfs

Hi Darrick,

Thanks for your explanation.

rmapbt, reflink and dedupe features will be enabled by default together?

Thanks
Xiao Yang

@ 2018-07-27  4:14     ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2018-07-27  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao Yang, Darrick J. Wong; +Cc: xfs

On 7/26/18 6:34 PM, Xiao Yang wrote:
> Hi Darrick,
>
> Thanks for your explanation.
>
> rmapbt, reflink and dedupe features will be enabled by default together?

dedup is not a "feature" of xfs by itself; rather there are userspace
applications which can use clone_file_range (related to reflink) to
do out of band deduplication from userspace.

I believe that rmapbt has a fair bit of performance overhead, and may
not get enabled by default.  Not certain about this though.

-Eric