* Possible issue with tpm_crb runtime PM
@ 2016-09-20 13:15 Jarkko Sakkinen
       [not found] ` <20160920131522.GA950-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-09-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas.winkler-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w,
	tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi

I get this (probably every time) when I do rmmod:

[ 4372.725616] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (325) occurred stopping the TPM

That is probably caused by failing TPM2_Shutdown. My guess is that
runtime PM patches cause this.

I'll verify that the problem does not occur with the next branch,
which does not include runtime PM patches.

/Jarkko

* Re: Possible issue with tpm_crb runtime PM
       [not found] ` <20160920131522.GA950-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-09-20 13:30   ` Winkler, Tomas
       [not found]     ` <5B8DA87D05A7694D9FA63FD143655C1B542EBE42-Jy8z56yoSI8MvF1YICWikbfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Winkler, Tomas @ 2016-09-20 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Sakkinen, tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

> Hi
>
> I get this (probably every time) when I do rmmod:
>
> [ 4372.725616] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (325) occurred stopping the TPM
>
> That is probably caused by failing TPM2_Shutdown. My guess is that runtime
> PM patches cause this.
>
> I'll verify that the problem does not occur with the next branch, which does
> not include runtime PM patches.

Can you produce the full log?
Tomas

@ 2016-09-20 17:47       ` Jarkko Sakkinen
       [not found]         ` <20160920174712.GA12175-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-09-20 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Winkler, Tomas; +Cc: tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 01:30:58PM +0000, Winkler, Tomas wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > I get this (probably every time) when I do rmmod:
> >
> > [ 4372.725616] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (325) occurred stopping the TPM
> >
> > That is probably caused by failing TPM2_Shutdown. My guess is that runtime
> > PM patches cause this.
> >
> > I'll verify that the problem does not occur with the next branch, which does
> > not include runtime PM patches.
>
> Can you produce the full log?

I just compiled kernel from the 'next' branch and it doesn't have this
issue. If you want, I can recompile the kernel but that's the only error
message that is emitted and it is obviously emitted by tpm2_shutdown().
This is a Skylake m7-6Y75 machine that I use for ad-hoc testing (runs
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, usually I test kernel with buildroot initramfs) of TPM
and SGX.

@ 2016-09-20 19:26           ` Winkler, Tomas
       [not found]             ` <5B8DA87D05A7694D9FA63FD143655C1B542EC0CB-Jy8z56yoSI8MvF1YICWikbfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Winkler, Tomas @ 2016-09-20 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Sakkinen; +Cc: tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 01:30:58PM +0000, Winkler, Tomas wrote:
> >

> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I get this (probably every time) when I do rmmod:
> > >
> > > [ 4372.725616] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (325) occurred stopping the TPM
> > >
> > > That is probably caused by failing TPM2_Shutdown. My guess is that
> > > runtime PM patches cause this.
> > >
> > > I'll verify that the problem does not occur with the next branch,
> > > which does not include runtime PM patches.
> >
> > Can you produce the full log?
>
> I just compiled kernel from the 'next' branch and it doesn't have this issue. If
> you want, I can recompile the kernel but that's the only error message that is
> emitted and it is obviously emitted by tpm2_shutdown().
> This is a Skylake m7-6Y75 machine that I use for ad-hoc testing (runs Ubuntu
> 16.04 LTS, usually I test kernel with buildroot initramfs) of TPM and SGX.

If you can just revert the last patch, so the device  will be always up, see if  this helps?
Thanks
Tomas

@ 2016-09-22 15:51               ` Jarkko Sakkinen
       [not found]                 ` <20160922155140.GA28886-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-09-22 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Winkler, Tomas; +Cc: tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 07:26:08PM +0000, Winkler, Tomas wrote:

> > > Can you produce the full log?
> >
> > I just compiled kernel from the 'next' branch and it doesn't have this issue. If
> > you want, I can recompile the kernel but that's the only error message that is
> > emitted and it is obviously emitted by tpm2_shutdown().
> > This is a Skylake m7-6Y75 machine that I use for ad-hoc testing (runs Ubuntu
> > 16.04 LTS, usually I test kernel with buildroot initramfs) of TPM and SGX.
>
> If you can just revert the last patch, so the device  will be always up, see if  this helps?

This error does not occur with

0c22db435bf7 ("tpm/tpm_crb: open code the crb_init into acpi_add")

@ 2016-09-25 12:38                   ` Winkler, Tomas
       [not found]                     ` <5B8DA87D05A7694D9FA63FD143655C1B542EEC58-Jy8z56yoSI8MvF1YICWikbfspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Winkler, Tomas @ 2016-09-25 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Sakkinen; +Cc: tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

> > > I just compiled kernel from the 'next' branch and it doesn't have
> > > this issue. If you want, I can recompile the kernel but that's the
> > > only error message that is emitted and it is obviously emitted by
> tpm2_shutdown().
> > > This is a Skylake m7-6Y75 machine that I use for ad-hoc testing
> > > (runs Ubuntu
> > > 16.04 LTS, usually I test kernel with buildroot initramfs) of TPM and SGX.
> >
> > If you can just revert the last patch, so the device  will be always up, see if
> this helps?
>
> This error does not occur with
>
> 0c22db435bf7 ("tpm/tpm_crb: open code the crb_init into acpi_add")

Okay,  can you apply the my original patch with pm_rurntime_put_sync ?
Thanks

@ 2016-09-26 22:14                       ` Jarkko Sakkinen
       [not found]                         ` <20160926221427.GA2212-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-09-26 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Winkler, Tomas; +Cc: tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 12:38:56PM +0000, Winkler, Tomas wrote:

> > tpm2_shutdown().
> > >
> > > If you can just revert the last patch, so the device  will be always up, see if
> > this helps?
> >
> > This error does not occur with
> >
> > 0c22db435bf7 ("tpm/tpm_crb: open code the crb_init into acpi_add")
> >
> Okay, can you apply the my original patch with pm_rurntime_put_sync ?
> Thanks

The same error still happens with pm_runtime_put_sync().

@ 2016-09-28  5:48                           ` Jarkko Sakkinen
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2016-09-28  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Winkler, Tomas; +Cc: tpmdd-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 01:14:27AM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:

> > > tpm2_shutdown().

> > > this helps?
> > >
> > > This error does not occur with
> > >
> > > 0c22db435bf7 ("tpm/tpm_crb: open code the crb_init into acpi_add")
> > >
> > Okay, can you apply the my original patch with pm_rurntime_put_sync ?
> > Thanks
>
> The same error still happens with pm_runtime_put_sync().

Now that I replied the patches the problem does not occur anymore.
So it should be ready for 4.10. I guess the problem was really this.
Probably put callback was delayed. If we change this behaviour it's
better to do as a separate commit with its own test cycle.

/Jarkko