* Would .DTSIs without DTS be accepted into the kernel?
@ 2020-05-04 13:51 Dávid Virág
From: Dávid Virág @ 2020-05-04 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I have an Android phone that I'd like to see running on the mainline kernel
one day. Currently it runs a downstream 4.4 kernel. Since the stock (closed
source) bootloader on the phone only really checks the SOC in a property in
the DTBs but not the model of the phone, I'm sure a DTS for the phone
wouldn't be accepted in the kernel, because it would match other devices
with the same SOC. My question is this: Would DTSIs for it's SOC, and its
components be merged without any DTS actually including them? That way if
the phone would ever get a more proper bootloader for it that checks the
model properly, the only thing that would need to be done is just making a
DTS with the correct compatible property in it, and until then if someone
would want to run it on his phone, the diff between the fork they would
need to use and upstream would just be the DTS.

Thanks,
David

* Re: Would .DTSIs without DTS be accepted into the kernel?
@ 2020-05-04 14:16 ` Ezra Buehler
From: Ezra Buehler @ 2020-05-04 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dávid Virág; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On 4 May 2020, at 15:51, Dávid Virág <virag.david003@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is this: Would DTSIs for it's SOC, and its components be merged without any DTS actually including them?

As far as I know they don't like that.

Cheers,
Ezra.

* Re: Would .DTSIs without DTS be accepted into the kernel?
@ 2020-05-04 14:40   ` Dávid Virág
From: Dávid Virág @ 2020-05-04 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ezra Buehler; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 4:16 PM Ezra Buehler <ezra@easyb.ch> wrote:

> As far as I know they don't like that.

I see, thanks for the reply!

Sorry for the double reply, I'm new to mailing lists, and forgot to CC
kernelnewbies.
If those wouldn't be merged, would drivers for the SOC/Phone be merged
without the DTS/DTSIs?

@ 2020-05-04 14:48     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-05-04 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dávid Virág; +Cc: Ezra Buehler, kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 04:40:00PM +0200, Dávid Virág wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 4:16 PM Ezra Buehler <ezra@easyb.ch> wrote:
>
> > As far as I know they don't like that.
> >
> I see, thanks for the reply!
>
> Sorry for the double reply, I'm new to mailing lists, and forgot to CC
> kernelnewbies.
> If those wouldn't be merged, would drivers for the SOC/Phone be merged
> without the DTS/DTSIs?

Yes, that's normally what happens first.

greg k-h