* Freebsd VM Hang while Bootup on KVM, processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
@ 2014-09-09 11:12 Venkateswara Rao Nandigam
From: Venkateswara Rao Nandigam @ 2014-09-09 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KVM

I have tried Freebsd10.0 64bit VM on the KVM Host running RHEL 6.4, processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz.

The Freebsd VM hangs at the "booting... " prompt.

If I boot the host kernel with "nosmep", then Freebsd VM boots up fine. I know Xeon V2 processors are having the smep feature.

Any ideas/solutions on how to boot Freebsd VM with smep option enabled in Host Kernel.

Thanks,
Venkatesh

* Re: Freebsd VM Hang while Bootup on KVM, processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
@ 2014-09-09 15:07 ` Nakajima, Jun
From: Nakajima, Jun @ 2014-09-09 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkateswara Rao Nandigam; +Cc: KVM

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 4:12 AM, Venkateswara Rao Nandigam
<venkateswararao.nandigam@citrix.com> wrote:
> I have tried Freebsd10.0 64bit VM on the KVM Host running RHEL 6.4, processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz.
>
> The Freebsd VM hangs at the "booting... " prompt.
>
> If I boot the host kernel with "nosmep", then Freebsd VM boots up fine. I know Xeon V2 processors are having the smep feature.
>
> Any ideas/solutions on how to boot Freebsd VM with smep option enabled in Host Kernel.

Does it boot on bare metal?

--
Jun
Intel Open Source Technology Center

* RE: Freebsd VM Hang while Bootup on KVM, processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
@ 2014-09-09 15:38   ` Venkateswara Rao Nandigam
From: Venkateswara Rao Nandigam @ 2014-09-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nakajima, Jun; +Cc: KVM

I haven't tried on bare metal, but have seen some other list, where in some one tried on bare metal and that was running well, as their VM on KVM was still failing.

@ 2014-09-10  8:06 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2014-09-10  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkateswara Rao Nandigam, KVM

Il 09/09/2014 13:12, Venkateswara Rao Nandigam ha scritto:
> I have tried Freebsd10.0 64bit VM on the KVM Host running RHEL 6.4, processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz.

I suggest you contact Red Hat for problems with the RHEL kernel.  Even
if FreeBSD is technically not supported, they may try to help you
gathering traces and other information that is useful to engineers.

Paolo