* OE-Core status with gcc9
@ 2019-05-12 13:21 Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2019-05-12 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

I've run some tests and think we're now down to one remaining issue
with gcc 9:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/60/builds/579
https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/55/builds/145

which is a kernel "make scripts" segfaulting on target on mips and
hence failing to build kernel modules. If we can get that one fixed
we're good from an OE-Core perspective to move to gcc 9.

I have to recognise the work Khem has put in getting us this close!

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: OE-Core status with gcc9
@ 2019-05-12 17:14 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-05-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 6:21 AM Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I've run some tests and think we're now down to one remaining issue
> with gcc 9:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/60/builds/579
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/55/builds/145

Assembler is not liking what gcc9 is generating

HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
/tmp/ccnMW5be.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccnMW5be.s: Internal error (Segmentation fault).

I wonder if its a common case or specific here?
I will try to reproduce it as well

> which is a kernel "make scripts" segfaulting on target on mips and
> hence failing to build kernel modules. If we can get that one fixed
> we're good from an OE-Core perspective to move to gcc 9.
>
> I have to recognise the work Khem has put in getting us this close!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: OE-Core status with gcc9
@ 2019-05-14  3:39   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-05-14  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 1:14 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 6:21 AM Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I've run some tests and think we're now down to one remaining issue
> > with gcc 9:
> >
> > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/60/builds/579
> > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/55/builds/145
> >

> Assembler is not liking what gcc9 is generating
>
> HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
> /tmp/ccnMW5be.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccnMW5be.s: Internal error (Segmentation fault).
>
> I wonder if its a common case or specific here?
> I will try to reproduce it as well

I am able to get a .s file which crashes assembler on
qemu. Same file assembles ok with mips cross assembler
so next I want to get hold of a mips hardware and try
it on the real h/w, meanwhile if someone has easy access
to mips and can load core-image-sato-sdk on it then I can
provide the asm file which crashes assembler

> > which is a kernel "make scripts" segfaulting on target on mips and
> > hence failing to build kernel modules. If we can get that one fixed
> > we're good from an OE-Core perspective to move to gcc 9.
> >
> > I have to recognise the work Khem has put in getting us this close!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Richard

* Re: OE-Core status with gcc9
@ 2019-05-26 17:17     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-05-26 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 8:39 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 1:14 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 6:21 AM Richard Purdie
> > <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've run some tests and think we're now down to one remaining issue
> > > with gcc 9:
> > >
> > > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/60/builds/579
> > > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/55/builds/145
> > >

> > Assembler is not liking what gcc9 is generating
> >
> > HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
> > /tmp/ccnMW5be.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/ccnMW5be.s: Internal error (Segmentation fault).
> >
> > I wonder if its a common case or specific here?
> > I will try to reproduce it as well
> >

> I am able to get a .s file which crashes assembler on
> qemu. Same file assembles ok with mips cross assembler
> so next I want to get hold of a mips hardware and try
> it on the real h/w, meanwhile if someone has easy access
> to mips and can load core-image-sato-sdk on it then I can
> provide the asm file which crashes assembler

got some more time to narrow it down.
works with musl+gcc-9
works with glibc+clang-8
works with musl+Clang-8

so only glibc+gcc-9 combo is one which exhibits the issue

> > > which is a kernel "make scripts" segfaulting on target on mips and
> > > hence failing to build kernel modules. If we can get that one fixed
> > > we're good from an OE-Core perspective to move to gcc 9.
> > >
> > > I have to recognise the work Khem has put in getting us this close!
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Richard

* Re: OE-Core status with gcc9
@ 2019-05-27  7:53       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-05-27  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 10:17 AM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 8:39 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 1:14 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Assembler is not liking what gcc9 is generating
> > >
> > > HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
> > > /tmp/ccnMW5be.s: Assembler messages:
> > > /tmp/ccnMW5be.s: Internal error (Segmentation fault).
> > >
> > > I wonder if its a common case or specific here?
> > > I will try to reproduce it as well
> > >

> > I am able to get a .s file which crashes assembler on
> > qemu. Same file assembles ok with mips cross assembler
> > so next I want to get hold of a mips hardware and try
> > it on the real h/w, meanwhile if someone has easy access
> > to mips and can load core-image-sato-sdk on it then I can
> > provide the asm file which crashes assembler
> >
> got some more time to narrow it down.
> works with musl+gcc-9
> works with glibc+clang-8
> works with musl+Clang-8
>
> so only glibc+gcc-9 combo is one which exhibits the issue

I have sent a workaound for this which we can try out.
https://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/161674/

* Re: OE-Core status with gcc9
@ 2019-06-06  8:16         ` Yu, Mingli
From: Yu, Mingli @ 2019-06-06  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj, Richard Purdie; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 2019年05月27日 15:53, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 10:17 AM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am able to get a .s file which crashes assembler on
>>> qemu. Same file assembles ok with mips cross assembler
>>> so next I want to get hold of a mips hardware and try
>>> it on the real h/w, meanwhile if someone has easy access
>>> to mips and can load core-image-sato-sdk on it then I can
>>> provide the asm file which crashes assembler
>>>
>> got some more time to narrow it down.
>> works with musl+gcc-9
>> works with glibc+clang-8
>> works with musl+Clang-8
>>
>> so only glibc+gcc-9 combo is one which exhibits the issue
>>

> I have sent a workaound for this which we can try out.
> https://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/161674/

Failed to build llvm with gcc9 for qemuppc as below:
| collect2: fatal error: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation
fault], core dumped

Thanks,

* Re: OE-Core status with gcc9
@ 2019-06-06 12:55           ` nick83ola
From: nick83ola @ 2019-06-06 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu, Mingli; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Probably is not an issue for ie-core but gcc-9 is also breaking all
the openjdk8 build on meta-java

Can this be postponed a bit?

Thanks
Nicola Lunghi