* Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-05 20:08 konrad.wilk
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: konrad.wilk @ 2015-01-05 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: avanzini.arianna, boris.ostrovsky, ufimtseva, guijianfeng,
	eddie.dong, roger.pau, artem.mygaiev, ian.jackson, daniel.kiper,
	ian.campbell, Ian.Jackson, Kelly.Zytaruk, tiejun.chen,
	anthony.perard, mukesh.rathor, dslutz, aravindp, josh.whitehead,
	robert.vanvossen, Paul.Skentzos, Steve.VanderLeest,
	andrii.tseglytskyi, yang.z.zhang, ross.lagerwall,
	malcolm.crossley, george.dunlap, bob.liu, yjhyun.yoo,
	serge.broslavsky, christoffer.dall, julien.grall

Xen 4.5-rc4 was out on Monday (Dec 15th). The GA
General Release is on Jan 7th^H^H^14th!

There are some outstanding patches on which we need to figure
out whether we will commit them in or not.

When we commit a patch in, the OSSTest takes a day or so to push it to 'master'
- and if it fails during that time patches that are later in the sequence are
not applied. Hence if everything works out great - we get the patches
to show up next day - however if something breaks - we are stalled.

Ian(s) has pointed to me that the OSSTest is sometimes on the fritz and that it
might take more than one day to push patches through which means we won't
make it by Wednesday.

As such, moving it the release by a week to give us ample room to get through
those changes.

These are the patches that need to be investigated whether they should
go in or not:

 VT-d: don't crash when PTE bits 52 and up are non-zero
 VT-d: extend XSA-59 workaround to XeonE5 v3 (Haswell)
 VT-d: make XSA-59 workaround fully cover XeonE5/E7 v2
 x86/VPMU: Clear last_vcpu when destroying VPMU
 tools/hotplug: add wrapper to start xenstored
 tools/hotplug: remove EnvironmentFile from xen-qemu-dom0-disk-backend.service
 tools/hotplug: use XENCONSOLED_TRACE in xenconsoled.service
 tools/hotplug: use xencommons as EnvironmentFile in xenconsoled.service
 tools/hotplug: xendomains.service depends on network
 tools/hotplug: remove XENSTORED_ROOTDIR from xenstored.service
 tools/hotplug: remove SELinux options from var-lib-xenstored.mount
 tools/libxl: Use of init()/dispose() to avoid leaking libxl_dominfo.ss
 xen: arm: correct off-by-one error in consider_module

= Timeline =

Xen 4.5 is a 10 month release. The dates are:

* Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
* First RC: 24th October [Friday!]
* RC2: Nov 11th
* RC2 Test-day: Nov 13th
* RC3: Dec 3rd.
* RC3 Test-day: Dec 4th
* RC4: Dec 15th
* RC4 Test-day: Dec 17th

<==== WE ARE HERE ===>

 Release Date: Jan 14th.

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-06  8:58 ` Sander Eikelenboom
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2015-01-06  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: konrad.wilk; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Ian Campbell, Stefano Stabellini

> Xen 4.5-rc4 was out on Monday (Dec 15th). The GA
> General Release is on Jan 7th^H^H^14th!

> There are some outstanding patches on which we need to figure
> out whether we will commit them in or not.

> When we commit a patch in, the OSSTest takes a day or so to push it to 'master'
> - and if it fails during that time patches that are later in the sequence are
> not applied. Hence if everything works out great - we get the patches
> to show up next day - however if something breaks - we are stalled.

> Ian(s) has pointed to me that the OSSTest is sometimes on the fritz and that it
> might take more than one day to push patches through which means we won't
> make it by Wednesday.

> As such, moving it the release by a week to give us ample room to get through
> those changes.

> These are the patches that need to be investigated whether they should
> go in or not:

>  VT-d: don't crash when PTE bits 52 and up are non-zero
>  VT-d: extend XSA-59 workaround to XeonE5 v3 (Haswell)
>  VT-d: make XSA-59 workaround fully cover XeonE5/E7 v2
>  x86/VPMU: Clear last_vcpu when destroying VPMU
>  tools/hotplug: add wrapper to start xenstored
>  tools/hotplug: remove EnvironmentFile from xen-qemu-dom0-disk-backend.service
>  tools/hotplug: use XENCONSOLED_TRACE in xenconsoled.service
>  tools/hotplug: use xencommons as EnvironmentFile in xenconsoled.service
>  tools/hotplug: xendomains.service depends on network
>  tools/hotplug: remove XENSTORED_ROOTDIR from xenstored.service
>  tools/hotplug: remove SELinux options from var-lib-xenstored.mount
>  tools/libxl: Use of init()/dispose() to avoid leaking libxl_dominfo.ss
>  xen: arm: correct off-by-one error in consider_module

Hi Konrad,

Has this: http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-12/msg01715.html
patch slipped through the cracks ?
It has your release-ack but isn't applied yet, nor is it on the above short
list.

BTW: Will there be a branch off and one last non-debug RC before release ?
     (i thought that has been done in the past, but could be mistaken)

--
Sander

> = Timeline =

> Xen 4.5 is a 10 month release. The dates are:

> * Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
> * First RC: 24th October [Friday!]
> * RC2: Nov 11th
> * RC2 Test-day: Nov 13th
> * RC3: Dec 3rd.
> * RC3 Test-day: Dec 4th
> * RC4: Dec 15th
> * RC4 Test-day: Dec 17th

> <==== WE ARE HERE ===>

>  Release Date: Jan 14th.

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-06 11:43 ` Ian Campbell
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-01-06 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: konrad.wilk
  Cc: artem.mygaiev, Steve.VanderLeest, mengxu, m.a.young, chao.p.peng,
	zhigang.x.wang, parth.dixit, boris.ostrovsky, manishjaggi.oss,
	Paul.Skentzos, vijay.kilari, rcojocaru, guijianfeng,
	daniel.kiper, josh.whitehead, avanzini.arianna, yang.z.zhang,
	xen-devel, serge.broslavsky, feng.wu, yjhyun.yoo, olaf,
	suriyan.r, wency, stefano.stabellini, mcgrof, julien.grall,
	talex5, robert.vanvossen, roy.franz, anthony.perard,
	Paul.Durrant, ufimtseva, andrii.tseglytskyi

On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 15:08 -0500, konrad.wilk@oracle.com wrote:
>  tools/libxl: Use of init()/dispose() to avoid leaking libxl_dominfo.ss
>  xen: arm: correct off-by-one error in consider_module

I've just now applied both.

Also I found these with release acks and applied them:
        tools: libxl: link libxlu against libxl.
        xen/arm: Initialize the domain vgic lock
        reset PCI devices on force removal even when QEMU returns error

I was a little unsure about enacting Release-Acks given more than a few
weeks ago, but I figured we could always revert if your opinion was that
it was now too close to the release (my main concern would be the third
one, the other two seem trivial enough).

I also saw some patches regarding a Bison update,
<21639.5225.596115.600016@mariner.uk.xensource.com> et al, which I was
expecting Ian J to take care of. I've not done anything about it either.
I think it might be too late.

Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-06 14:32   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-01-06 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell
  Cc: artem.mygaiev, Steve.VanderLeest, mengxu, m.a.young, chao.p.peng,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:43:47AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 15:08 -0500, konrad.wilk@oracle.com wrote:
> >  tools/libxl: Use of init()/dispose() to avoid leaking libxl_dominfo.ss
> >  xen: arm: correct off-by-one error in consider_module
>
> I've just now applied both.
>
> Also I found these with release acks and applied them:
>         tools: libxl: link libxlu against libxl.
>         xen/arm: Initialize the domain vgic lock
>         reset PCI devices on force removal even when QEMU returns error
>
> I was a little unsure about enacting Release-Acks given more than a few
> weeks ago, but I figured we could always revert if your opinion was that
> it was now too close to the release (my main concern would be the third
> one, the other two seem trivial enough).

I am OK with the Release-Acks staying active. Thank you for checking.

> I also saw some patches regarding a Bison update,
> <21639.5225.596115.600016@mariner.uk.xensource.com> et al, which I was
> expecting Ian J to take care of. I've not done anything about it either.
> I think it might be too late.

I was OK with the bison update patch. Ian J convienced me it is worth it.
IanJ, are you OK putting it in or would prefer to skip to 4.6?

Or alternatively I can dig up the patch and apply it.

@ 2015-01-06 14:36     ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2015-01-06 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
  Cc: Andrew Cooper, Ed Swierk, Wei Liu, Ian Campbell, xen-devel

(CC list massively trimmed)

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk writes ("Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)"):
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:43:47AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > I also saw some patches regarding a Bison update,
> > <21639.5225.596115.600016@mariner.uk.xensource.com> et al, which I was
> > expecting Ian J to take care of. I've not done anything about it either.
> > I think it might be too late.
>
> I was OK with the bison update patch. Ian J convienced me it is worth it.
> IanJ, are you OK putting it in or would prefer to skip to 4.6?

I will do this today.

Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-06 14:40 ` Ian Jackson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Jackson @ 2015-01-06 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: konrad.wilk; +Cc: xen-devel

(CC list replaced by just the list.)

konrad.wilk@oracle.com writes ("Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)"):
> <==== WE ARE HERE ===>
>  Release Date: Jan 14th.

There are two remaining dates left unspecified in your mail:

 * When do we branch for 4.5 ?  I think we should do this right away
   so that we can set up osstest to have a working push gate for 4.5
   by the time of the release.

   This will work best with coordination with all committers to avoid
   stuff appearing on staging after staging-4.5 is created.

   The implication of branching of course is that 4.6-unstable becomes
   open for business.

 * What is the last commit deadline for 4.5 ?

   We need time to wait for a test push, discover a possible problem,
   and perhaps revert.  A week would be best, but maybe a bit less
   would be OK.

Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-01-06 15:11 ` Lars Kurth
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-01-06 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: konrad.wilk
  Cc: artem Mygaiev, Steve.VanderLeest, mengxu, m.a.young, chao.p.peng,
	zhigang.x.wang, Parth Dixit, Boris Ostrovsky, manishjaggi.oss,
	Paul.Skentzos, Vijay Kilari, rcojocaru, guijianfeng,
	Daniel Kiper, Sarah Conway, Joshua Whitehead, Arianna Avanzini,
	yang.z.zhang, xen-devel, Serge Broslavsky, feng.wu, yjhyun.yoo,
	olaf, Suriyan Ramasami, ian.campbell, wency, Stefano

Hi all (and a Happy New Year),

besides the actual release and the remaining code issues there are a few other items that typically need to be done. I am listing these below. Some have owners, others don't. If you are on the CC list, please have a look at the unowned pages and see whether you can help.

Once all the outstanding changes have made it into master, please let me know such that I can re-run the stats. If not, people may not be credited for their contribution.

= (Owned) Documentation - needs checking =

* Lars: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Feature_List
**  it is possible that a feature you developed was missed or wrongly described.  Feel free to add to the page or update it.

* Lars: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features
** The Host Limits need to be checked. I believe the limits for ARM increased. Not sure about x98

= (Unowned) Documentation =
These will need to be checked by someone who knows the relevant functionality. Please reply to this section.

* http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Linux_PVH - not sure whether this page correct. Someone in the know please have a look and ACK or point out issues
* http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Release_Notes - I can populate some of it. Will need help for the known issues section though
* http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/OdroidXU - missing

= (Owned) Documentation =
* Lars: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Acknowledgements - will populate after I ran the stats script after the last commit
* Lars: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Man_Pages - done, but links are broken until the branch is made

= (Owned) Making the Release =
Typically done by Ian Jackson and me.

See http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Checklist/XenHypervisorRelease

= (Owned) Press release / Blog post =
Done by Sarah Conway and me

Open Issue: Konrad to check whether he is allowed to publish the blog post under his name. If not we can create a Release Manager account to publish it under.

Cheers
Lars

@ 2015-01-06 15:11   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-01-06 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 02:40:31PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> (CC list replaced by just the list.)
>
> konrad.wilk@oracle.com writes ("Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)"):
> > <==== WE ARE HERE ===>
> >  Release Date: Jan 14th.
>
> There are two remaining dates left unspecified in your mail:
>
>  * When do we branch for 4.5 ?  I think we should do this right away
>    so that we can set up osstest to have a working push gate for 4.5
>    by the time of the release.

I concur. Would you be OK doing that?

>    This will work best with coordination with all committers to avoid
>    stuff appearing on staging after staging-4.5 is created.

Um, not following you. I think we want people to put patches in staging,
just not 4.5 material?

>    The implication of branching of course is that 4.6-unstable becomes
>    open for business.

Right.

>  * What is the last commit deadline for 4.5 ?
>
>    We need time to wait for a test push, discover a possible problem,
>    and perhaps revert.  A week would be best, but maybe a bit less

How long do those 'test push' take?

@ 2015-01-06 15:16   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-01-06 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: artem Mygaiev, Steve.VanderLeest, mengxu, m.a.young, chao.p.peng,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 03:11:21PM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all (and a Happy New Year),
>
> besides the actual release and the remaining code issues there are a few other items that typically need to be done. I am listing these below. Some have owners, others don't. If you are on the CC list, please have a look at the unowned pages and see whether you can help.
>
> Once all the outstanding changes have made it into master, please let me know such that I can re-run the stats. If not, people may not be credited for their contribution.
>
> = (Owned) Documentation - needs checking =
>
> * Lars: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Feature_List
> **  it is possible that a feature you developed was missed or wrongly described.  Feel free to add to the page or update it.
>
> * Lars: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features
> ** The Host Limits need to be checked. I believe the limits for ARM increased. Not sure about x98
>
> = (Unowned) Documentation =
> These will need to be checked by someone who knows the relevant functionality. Please reply to this section.
>
> * http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Linux_PVH - not sure whether this page correct. Someone in the know please have a look and ACK or point out issues
> * http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Release_Notes - I can populate some of it. Will need help for the known issues section though
> * http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/OdroidXU - missing
>
> = (Owned) Documentation =
> * Lars: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Acknowledgements - will populate after I ran the stats script after the last commit
> * Lars: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Man_Pages - done, but links are broken until the branch is made
>
> = (Owned) Making the Release =
> Typically done by Ian Jackson and me.
>
> See http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Checklist/XenHypervisorRelease
>
> = (Owned) Press release / Blog post =
> Done by Sarah Conway and me
>
> Open Issue: Konrad to check whether he is allowed to publish the blog post under his name. If not we can create a Release Manager account to publish it under.

No problem with me doing the blogs.

@ 2015-01-06 15:28   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-01-06 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: Suriyan Ramasami, xen-devel

(culling CCs)

On Tue, 2015-01-06 at 15:11 +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> * http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/OdroidXU - missing

The link to this from [Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions] seems to
have been added by[0] the user Suriyan, who I presume to is the same
Suriyan as is now CCd.

Suriyan,

Do you have any content for this page? Since the Odroid's are also
Exynos based perhaps it should just link to the Arndale page, which
could become a more generic Exynos page?

If not then we should remove the link and add to the hardware section
instead. (Or perhaps we should nuke this "Platform specific" section and
inline the links into the list of supported hardware, since having what
is effectively two lists of supported hardware seems a bit pointless).

Ian.

[0] Does media wiki really lack a "git blame" analogue? It was very
tedious to work this out by hand...

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-06 15:31     ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2015-01-06 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: xen-devel

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk writes ("Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)"):
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 02:40:31PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > There are two remaining dates left unspecified in your mail:
> >
> >  * When do we branch for 4.5 ?  I think we should do this right away
> >    so that we can set up osstest to have a working push gate for 4.5
> >    by the time of the release.
>
> I concur. Would you be OK doing that?

OK.

> >    This will work best with coordination with all committers to avoid
> >    stuff appearing on staging after staging-4.5 is created.
>
> Um, not following you. I think we want people to put patches in staging,
> just not 4.5 material?

Yes.  What I mean is that there is a point starting RIGHT NOW
when committers should be pushing NOTHING TO STAGING.

Because I am about to branch staging, and any committer who pushes now
doen't know whether the commits they push are going to end up in 4.5
or not.

> >  * What is the last commit deadline for 4.5 ?
> >
> >    We need time to wait for a test push, discover a possible problem,
> >    and perhaps revert.  A week would be best, but maybe a bit less
>
> How long do those 'test push' take?

With a following wind <24h, but that involves some luck.  I would
allow at least 48h and probably more for possible infrastructure
problems.

Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-06 16:01       ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-01-06 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: olaf; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 03:31:14PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk writes ("Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)"):
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 02:40:31PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > There are two remaining dates left unspecified in your mail:
> > >
> > >  * When do we branch for 4.5 ?  I think we should do this right away
> > >    so that we can set up osstest to have a working push gate for 4.5
> > >    by the time of the release.
> >
> > I concur. Would you be OK doing that?
>
> OK.

We branched!

There is only one outstanding patch and that is "#7 tools/hotplug: add wrapper to
start xenstored". Olaf is back tomorrow so it might make it .. or not.

* Xen 4.5 final commit deadline: end of Wednesday 7th January
@ 2015-01-06 16:27   ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2015-01-06 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Wilk, Jan Beulich, Tim Deegan, Keir Fraser, Ian Campbell,
	Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: xen-devel

Following discussion, Konrad has set the end of tomorrow (Wednesday
the 7th of January) as the deadline for any commits to staging-4.5.

After that point, nothing should be pushed to 4.5, as we will be
hoping for a test push (and need to have some contingency if the tests
show problems or the test system breaks - which it is likely to do
because of the release of Debian 7.8 over the weekend).

Thanks,
Ian.

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week) - reviewing experimental/preview tags
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-01-06 17:24 ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-01-06 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, tim deegan,
	Keir Fraser, xen-devel

(Reduced CC list)
Hi all, updating http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features there appear to be a few features where it may be worth to upgrade a feature for 4.5. The following ones spring to mind
* Credit 2 Scheduler : experimental to preview - actually this raises the question what the difference is
* Nested Virt - I did see a few tests being developed recently and have not seen anyone raise bugs. It is also a requirement for OpenStack
* OVMF/Tianocore : experimental to preview

I am assuming the following ones remain unchanged?
* Memory Ballooning/Sharing - have not seen any extra tools support
* TMEM

Regards

@ 2015-01-06 17:59   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-01-06 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: tim deegan, Keir Fraser, Ian Jackson, Ian Campbell, xen-devel

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 05:24:19PM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> (Reduced CC list)
> Hi all, updating http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features there appear to be a few features where it may be worth to upgrade a feature for 4.5. The following ones spring to mind
> * Credit 2 Scheduler : experimental to preview - actually this raises the question what the difference is
> * Nested Virt - I did see a few tests being developed recently and have not seen anyone raise bugs. It is also a requirement for OpenStack

> * OVMF/Tianocore : experimental to preview

We did not change anything in Xen 4.5 in regards to that. Thought
Xen 4.6 can now ingest the upstream version which has Xen PV drivers
support.

> I am assuming the following ones remain unchanged?
> * Memory Ballooning/Sharing - have not seen any extra tools support
> * TMEM

Yes.

@ 2015-01-06 18:08     ` Suriyan Ramasami
From: Suriyan Ramasami @ 2015-01-06 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel

Hello Ian,

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@citrix.com> wrote:
> (culling CCs)
>
> On Tue, 2015-01-06 at 15:11 +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> * http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/OdroidXU - missing
>
> The link to this from [Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions] seems to
> have been added by[0] the user Suriyan, who I presume to is the same
> Suriyan as is now CCd.
>
> Suriyan,
>
> Do you have any content for this page? Since the Odroid's are also
> Exynos based perhaps it should just link to the Arndale page, which
> could become a more generic Exynos page?
>
> If not then we should remove the link and add to the hardware section
> instead. (Or perhaps we should nuke this "Platform specific" section and
> inline the links into the list of supported hardware, since having what
> is effectively two lists of supported hardware seems a bit pointless).

I had zealously started to edit the page a while back (a couple of
months ago), but then couldn't figure out how (I guess I didn't spend
too much time on it).
I did have specific content for this wiki page, as the Arndale XEN
information is Linaro centric and hence not applicable to the OdroidXU
- especially the boot loader part and the linux dom0 part. The rest of
the information is quite similar.
I shall try my hand at updating the information again. If this needs
to be done (yesterday), then as a temporary solution we could just
delete this information for now, and I shall work on it soon.

Regards
- Suriyan

@ 2015-01-06 18:51       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-01-06 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suriyan Ramasami; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Campbell

On 6 Jan 2015, at 18:08, Suriyan Ramasami <suriyan.r@gmail.com> wrote:

> I shall try my hand at updating the information again. If this needs
> to be done (yesterday), then as a temporary solution we could just
> delete this information for now, and I shall work on it soon.

Ideally it needs to be done by next Wed. If you have the content, you could send it to me and I can fix the page
Lars

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-06 18:54         ` Suriyan Ramasami
From: Suriyan Ramasami @ 2015-01-06 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Campbell

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2015, at 18:08, Suriyan Ramasami <suriyan.r@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I shall try my hand at updating the information again. If this needs
>> to be done (yesterday), then as a temporary solution we could just
>> delete this information for now, and I shall work on it soon.
>
> Ideally it needs to be done by next Wed. If you have the content, you could send it to me and I can fix the page

Thanks Lars for the offer. I just started editing the page, and looks
simple enough to get some content out there. I should have updated the
relevant information in a few hours from now. Please do help me in
fixing the page once its done (if it needs fixing)

Thanks!
- Suriyan

@ 2015-01-06 18:57   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2015-01-06 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lars.kurth.xen; +Cc: keir, Ian.Campbell, Ian.Jackson, tim, xen-devel

>>> Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> 01/06/15 6:26 PM >>>
>Hi all, updating http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features there appear to be a few features where it may be worth to upgrade a feature for 4.5. The >following ones spring to mind
>* Credit 2 Scheduler : experimental to preview - actually this raises the question what the difference is
>* Nested Virt - I did see a few tests being developed recently and have not seen anyone raise bugs. It is also a requirement for OpenStack

Not ready to be promoted yet afair.

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week) - reviewing experimental/preview tags
@ 2015-01-06 19:05     ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2015-01-06 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, lars.kurth.xen
  Cc: Ian.Jackson, xen-devel, keir, Ian.Campbell, tim

On 06/01/15 18:57, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Hi all, updating http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features there appear to be a few features where it may be worth to upgrade a feature for 4.5. The >following ones spring to mind
>> * Credit 2 Scheduler : experimental to preview - actually this raises the question what the difference is
>> * Nested Virt - I did see a few tests being developed recently and have not seen anyone raise bugs. It is also a requirement for OpenStack
> Not ready to be promoted yet afair.

I would agree.  This feature is not baked yet.

There are some issues outstanding stability issues (reported crashes on
list), some known limitations (L1 running in shadow mode) which could do
with some toolstack interlocks to prevent, and some performance concerns
(no ability to use PV drivers from L1 to L0, meaning all disk and
network is emulated in L0 Qemu).

~Andrew

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-06 20:23           ` Suriyan Ramasami
From: Suriyan Ramasami @ 2015-01-06 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Campbell

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Suriyan Ramasami <suriyan.r@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6 Jan 2015, at 18:08, Suriyan Ramasami <suriyan.r@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I shall try my hand at updating the information again. If this needs
>>> to be done (yesterday), then as a temporary solution we could just
>>> delete this information for now, and I shall work on it soon.
>>
>> Ideally it needs to be done by next Wed. If you have the content, you could send it to me and I can fix the page
>
> Thanks Lars for the offer. I just started editing the page, and looks
> simple enough to get some content out there. I should have updated the
> relevant information in a few hours from now. Please do help me in
> fixing the page once its done (if it needs fixing)
>
> Thanks!
> - Suriyan

Hello Lars/Ian,
   I have updated the wiki somewhat to an OK level of information.

Lars,
   I think there might be other links that need to be set to point to
this OdroidXU wiki? Any help in polishing this would be appreciated!

Thanks
- Suriyan

@ 2015-01-07  9:53             ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-01-07  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suriyan Ramasami; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel

On Tue, 2015-01-06 at 12:23 -0800, Suriyan Ramasami wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Suriyan Ramasami <suriyan.r@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Ideally it needs to be done by next Wed. If you have the content, you could send it to me and I can fix the page
> >
> > Thanks Lars for the offer. I just started editing the page, and looks
> > simple enough to get some content out there. I should have updated the
> > relevant information in a few hours from now. Please do help me in
> > fixing the page once its done (if it needs fixing)
> >
> > Thanks!
> > - Suriyan
>
> Hello Lars/Ian,
>    I have updated the wiki somewhat to an OK level of information.

Thanks, I've removed the todo banner since there is some content now
(I've not reviewed it in detail, since I don't know about the h/w, but
it all looks very plausible).

Earlier you said:
> I did have specific content for this wiki page, as the Arndale XEN
> information is Linaro centric and hence not applicable to the OdroidXU
> - especially the boot loader part and the linux dom0 part. The rest of
> the information is quite similar.

I think that some of the Linaro specific stuff on the Arndale page is no
longer needed, e.g. I run mainline u-boot and Linux just fine on one
these days.

So I think it is probably worth trying to refactor into a generic Exynos
part and board specific details, but that's not urgent for the 4.5
release.

Anyway, not asking you to tackle all that. I've added it to
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Document_Days/TODO, along with my previous
suggestion to get rid of the duplicated lists on the main ARM page. I
might try and have a go at that on the next doc day.

@ 2015-01-07 11:12         ` Olaf Hering
From: Olaf Hering @ 2015-01-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, Jan 06, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> There is only one outstanding patch and that is "#7 tools/hotplug: add wrapper to
> start xenstored". Olaf is back tomorrow so it might make it .. or not.

See my other replies. I think once we know how to deal with SELinux and
systemd this change may be not needed anymore.

Olaf

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week), GA slip + 1 day
@ 2015-01-08 19:30     ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-01-08 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: artem Mygaiev, Steve.VanderLeest, mengxu, m.a.young, chao.p.peng,
	zhigang.x.wang, Parth Dixit, Boris Ostrovsky, manishjaggi.oss,
	Paul.Skentzos, Vijay Kilari, rcojocaru, guijianfeng,
	Daniel Kiper, Sarah Conway, Joshua Whitehead, Arianna Avanzini,
	yang.z.zhang, xen-devel, Serge Broslavsky, feng.wu, yjhyun.yoo,
	olaf, Suriyan Ramasami, ian.campbell, wency, Stefano

> > > = Timeline =
> > >
> > > Xen 4.5 is a 10 month release. The dates are:
> > >
> > > * Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
> > > * First RC: 24th October [Friday!]
> > > * RC2: Nov 11th
> > > * RC2 Test-day: Nov 13th
> > > * RC3: Dec 3rd.
> > > * RC3 Test-day: Dec 4th
> > > * RC4: Dec 15th
> > > * RC4 Test-day: Dec 17th
> > >
> > > <==== WE ARE HERE ===>
> > >
> > > Release Date: Jan 14th.

New date: Jan 15th.

Due to marketing reasons (LinuxFoundation has something
scheduled on Jan 14th and we don't want to overlap).

That should not change anything on the technical side as the
last commit went in yesterday. Just a bit longer..

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week), GA slip + 1 day
@ 2015-01-09 13:51       ` Lars Kurth
       [not found]         ` <54AFE358.60901@linaro.org>
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-01-09 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
  Cc: artem Mygaiev, Steve.VanderLeest, mengxu, m.a.young, chao.p.peng,
	zhigang.x.wang, Parth Dixit, Boris Ostrovsky, manishjaggi.oss,
	Paul.Skentzos, Vijay Kilari, rcojocaru, guijianfeng,
	Daniel Kiper, Sarah Conway, Joshua Whitehead, Arianna Avanzini,
	yang.z.zhang, xen-devel, Serge Broslavsky, feng.wu, yjhyun.yoo,
	olaf, Suriyan Ramasami, ian.campbell, wency, Stefano

Note that I published the Acknowledgements and most 4.5 documentation is now in place. Bits which you may want to check and fix
* Spelling of your name if it contains special characters as the scripts that I use nuke them - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Acknowledgements
* Some additions to http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features, which I will do

And we do need to populate the Known Issues section of http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Release_Notes

Regards
Lars

@ 2015-01-09 14:20           ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2015-01-09 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: Stefano Stabellini, xen-devel, Ian Campbell

Sorry, I forgot to CC xen-devel.

--
Julien Grall

@ 2015-01-09 18:30         ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-01-09 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: artem Mygaiev, Steve.VanderLeest, mengxu, m.a.young, chao.p.peng,

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 01:51:56PM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Note that I published the Acknowledgements and most 4.5 documentation is now in place. Bits which you may want to check and fix
> * Spelling of your name if it contains special characters as the scripts that I use nuke them - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Acknowledgements
> * Some additions to http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features, which I will do
>
> And we do need to populate the Known Issues section of http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Release_Notes

I've added the one that I am aware (systemd).

In 4.4 we also had this http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki?title=Xen_Project_4.4_Feature_List
which was linked of the  http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.4_Release_Notes

I can populate most of htem or we can just reference the blog that will be on
the release day?

@ 2015-01-12 11:36           ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-01-12 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
  Cc: artem Mygaiev, Steve.VanderLeest, mengxu, m.a.young, chao.p.peng,

On 9 Jan 2015, at 18:30, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 01:51:56PM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> Note that I published the Acknowledgements and most 4.5 documentation is now in place. Bits which you may want to check and fix
>> * Spelling of your name if it contains special characters as the scripts that I use nuke them - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Acknowledgements
>> * Some additions to http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features, which I will do
>>
>> And we do need to populate the Known Issues section of http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Release_Notes
>
> I've added the one that I am aware (systemd).
>
> In 4.4 we also had this http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki?title=Xen_Project_4.4_Feature_List
> which was linked of the  http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.4_Release_Notes
>
> I can populate most of htem or we can just reference the blog that will be on
> the release day?
Konrad, thank you. You don't need to: I created a separate page - see http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_4.5_Feature_List
We can just link to ti from the release notes
Lars

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-01-20  9:00 ` Jan Beulich
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan Beulich @ 2015-01-20  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, konrad.wilk; +Cc: xen-devel

>>> On 05.01.15 at 21:08, <konrad.wilk@oracle.com> wrote:
> = Timeline =
>
> Xen 4.5 is a 10 month release. The dates are:
>
> * Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
> * First RC: 24th October [Friday!]
> * RC2: Nov 11th
> * RC2 Test-day: Nov 13th
> * RC3: Dec 3rd.
> * RC3 Test-day: Dec 4th
> * RC4: Dec 15th
> * RC4 Test-day: Dec 17th
>
> <==== WE ARE HERE ===>
>
>  Release Date: Jan 14th.

So when is it intended to announce the release, at once opening the
4.5 tree for backports (of interest to me in case I'm going to continue
to be the stable tree maintainer, the voting on which was also
supposed to be happening already afaict), leaving aside the fact
that there's already a tools side one?

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-20 10:35   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-01-20 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel

On Tue, 2015-01-20 at 09:00 +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > = Timeline =
> >
> > Xen 4.5 is a 10 month release. The dates are:
> >
> > * Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
> > * First RC: 24th October [Friday!]
> > * RC2: Nov 11th
> > * RC2 Test-day: Nov 13th
> > * RC3: Dec 3rd.
> > * RC3 Test-day: Dec 4th
> > * RC4: Dec 15th
> > * RC4 Test-day: Dec 17th
> >
> > <==== WE ARE HERE ===>
> >
> >  Release Date: Jan 14th.
>
> So when is it intended to announce the release,

It's done, isn't it:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-announce/2015-01/msg00001.html
(not sent to xen-devel though, by mistake I presume?)

> at once opening the 4.5 tree for backports

I'm interested in this too, mainly because of the upcoming 4.4 stable
release, since I want to backport ARM fixes to all relevant trees at
once, rather than trying to track different things in different trees.

I realise now that this has lead to me missing 4.4.X-rc1, and hence
maybe wasn't the best idea.

>  (of interest to me in case I'm going to continue
> to be the stable tree maintainer, the voting on which was also
> supposed to be happening already afaict), leaving aside the fact
> that there's already a tools side one?

I had assumed the result was that you were uncontested, on the basis
that everyone else had stood "if Jan doesn't want to continue" (in some
wording or other), hence no need for a vote. All IMHO.

@ 2015-01-20 10:46     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2015-01-20 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel

>> > = Timeline =
>> >
>> > Xen 4.5 is a 10 month release. The dates are:
>> >
>> > * Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
>> > * First RC: 24th October [Friday!]
>> > * RC2: Nov 11th
>> > * RC2 Test-day: Nov 13th
>> > * RC3: Dec 3rd.
>> > * RC3 Test-day: Dec 4th
>> > * RC4: Dec 15th
>> > * RC4 Test-day: Dec 17th
>> >
>> > <==== WE ARE HERE ===>
>> >
>> >  Release Date: Jan 14th.
>>
>> So when is it intended to announce the release,
>
> It's done, isn't it:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-announce/2015-01/msg00001.html
> (not sent to xen-devel though, by mistake I presume?)

Ah indeed, and indeed not seen because not sent to xen-devel. Also
to me it doesn't really read like previous release announcements, so
even if I had seen it I would have been in doubt whether this is a pre-
announcement or the actual one (whether it was intentional by Keir
I of course can't tell, but I inherited from him the use of past tense
in such subjects, making absolutely clear that the release has
happened, and isn't e.g. only about to happen).

>> at once opening the 4.5 tree for backports
>
> I'm interested in this too, mainly because of the upcoming 4.4 stable
> release, since I want to backport ARM fixes to all relevant trees at
> once, rather than trying to track different things in different trees.
>
> I realise now that this has lead to me missing 4.4.X-rc1, and hence
> maybe wasn't the best idea.

Since we've got to wait for a push on both trees now again anyway,
I think you could do them if you wanted to. Albeit if I'm to maintain
4.5, I'd prefer no backports to be pushed there yet, until the
4.5.1-pre version update is in place.

>>  (of interest to me in case I'm going to continue
>> to be the stable tree maintainer, the voting on which was also
>> supposed to be happening already afaict), leaving aside the fact
>> that there's already a tools side one?
>
> I had assumed the result was that you were uncontested, on the basis
> that everyone else had stood "if Jan doesn't want to continue" (in some
> wording or other), hence no need for a vote. All IMHO.

I guess I'll wait to see what Konrad and Lars think.

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.5 Development Update (GA slip by a week)
@ 2015-01-20 17:10   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2015-01-20 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel

Jan,
I have announced it on xen-users, xen-announce, the blog and we have had the press release
I had assumed that Konrad announced on xen-devel
Lars

@ 2015-01-20 19:07   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2015-01-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 09:00:36AM +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > = Timeline =
> >
> > Xen 4.5 is a 10 month release. The dates are:
> >
> > * Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
> > * First RC: 24th October [Friday!]
> > * RC2: Nov 11th
> > * RC2 Test-day: Nov 13th
> > * RC3: Dec 3rd.
> > * RC3 Test-day: Dec 4th
> > * RC4: Dec 15th
> > * RC4 Test-day: Dec 17th
> >
> > <==== WE ARE HERE ===>
> >
> >  Release Date: Jan 14th.
>
> So when is it intended to announce the release, at once opening the
> 4.5 tree for backports (of interest to me in case I'm going to continue
> to be the stable tree maintainer, the voting on which was also
> supposed to be happening already afaict), leaving aside the fact
> that there's already a tools side one?

You are the stable 4.5 maintainer and can commit to the Xen 4.5 stable
tree at any time and select the whenever you want to release it.

Thank you!