* RAID10, 3 copies, 3 disks
@ 2020-01-11  7:06 Gandalf Corvotempesta
       [not found] ` <82a7d9ec-f991-ad25-bf1f-eee74be90b1b@youngman.org.uk>
From: Gandalf Corvotempesta @ 2020-01-11  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to all
i've read that with md is possible to create non-standard RAID layouts
like RAID10 but without being forced to use an even number of disks to
create the mirrors (like a standard RAID10)

So, would be possible to create a 4-disks RAID10, with redundancy set
to 3 (I need to survive up to to ANY 2 disks failures, like with
RAID6) ?

I think it would be something like the following?

A1 A1 A1 A2
A2 A2 A3 A3
A3 A4 A4 A4

Currently, when i need something similar, i use a 3-way RAID1 with LVM
on top of it to aggregate multiple mirrors in one bigger volume, but
this requires 3 drives for each mirror.

Other solutions ? I don't wan't to use any parity raid this time.
(wasting space with a 3way mirror and LVM on top would be ok, is
nothing better is available)

The raid *must* be scalable, i need to grow it on-the-fly by adding
one or more disks, when needed.