* How do I patch binutils for the SDK
@ 2017-10-12  6:23 Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2017-10-12  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I found a bug in the GNU assembler that makes it produce corrupted
listings, reported it on sourceware bugzilla, and it has been fixed. Now
I'd like to take those small patches and apply them to the assembler that
winds up in the SDK. The patches are shown here:

https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=39865a7f420ab4c
a4dec6ed27339618a5d5dc366

The only recipe I found in Pyro that seemed appropriate was
meta/recipes-devtools/binutils/binutils-crosssdk_2.28.bb, so I created a
binutils-crosssdk_%.bbappend in my layer with a FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend
and a SRC_URI listing the patches, which I put into a binutils
subdirectory.

When I ran the populate_sdk task, the patches failed because they didn't
find the source files, which are supposed to be in a subdirectory called
gas.

So I'm wondering, is this the wrong recipe? Does something else build gas?
Or am I just doing this wrong? The workings of the build system are pretty
opaque and mysterious.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: How do I patch binutils for the SDK
@ 2017-10-13  3:32 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-10-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 06:23:03AM +0000, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> I found a bug in the GNU assembler that makes it produce corrupted
> listings, reported it on sourceware bugzilla, and it has been fixed. Now
> I'd like to take those small patches and apply them to the assembler that
> winds up in the SDK. The patches are shown here:
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=39865a7f420ab4c
> a4dec6ed27339618a5d5dc366
>
> The only recipe I found in Pyro that seemed appropriate was
> meta/recipes-devtools/binutils/binutils-crosssdk_2.28.bb, so I created a
> binutils-crosssdk_%.bbappend in my layer with a FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend
> and a SRC_URI listing the patches, which I put into a binutils
> subdirectory.
>
> When I ran the populate_sdk task, the patches failed because they didn't
> find the source files, which are supposed to be in a subdirectory called
> gas.
>
> So I'm wondering, is this the wrong recipe? Does something else build gas?
> Or am I just doing this wrong? The workings of the build system are pretty
> opaque and mysterious.

You can apply the patch to all binutils variants, its fine. Send a patch or if you
want, file a ticket in bugzilla and we will take care.

@ 2017-10-13  3:52   ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2017-10-13  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Khem Raj'; +Cc: yocto

> From: Khem Raj [mailto:raj.khem@gmail.com]
>
> You can apply the patch to all binutils variants, its fine.
> Send a patch or if you
> want, file a ticket in bugzilla and we will take care.

Yocto's Bugzilla isn't recognizing my password, and when it says that it's
emailed me a password change message, it doesn't show up. However, the
four small patches are in the Sourceware binutils-gdb GIT repo, at the
link I mentioned:

https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=39865a7f420ab4c
a4dec6ed27339618a5d5dc366

Just to verify, my binutils-crosssdk_%.bbappend file contains:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/binutils:"

SRC_URI = "                         \
    file://gas_as.h.patch           \
    file://gas_ChangeLog.patch      \
    file://gas_input-scrub.c.patch  \
    file://gas_listing.c.patch      \
    "

and the patches from that Bugzilla page are in a binutils directory. The
errors I get indicate that the patches are being attempted, but aren't
matching up with any source files.

--

@ 2017-10-13  3:56     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-10-13  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> From: Khem Raj [mailto:raj.khem@gmail.com]
>>
>> You can apply the patch to all binutils variants, its fine.
>> Send a patch or if you
>> want, file a ticket in bugzilla and we will take care.
>
> Yocto's Bugzilla isn't recognizing my password, and when it says that it's
> emailed me a password change message, it doesn't show up. However, the
> four small patches are in the Sourceware binutils-gdb GIT repo, at the
> link I mentioned:
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=39865a7f420ab4c
> a4dec6ed27339618a5d5dc366
>
> Just to verify, my binutils-crosssdk_%.bbappend file contains:
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/binutils:"
>
> SRC_URI = "                         \
>     file://gas_as.h.patch           \
>     file://gas_ChangeLog.patch      \
>     file://gas_input-scrub.c.patch  \
>     file://gas_listing.c.patch      \
>     "

you can just make 1 patch download

https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=39865a7f420ab4ca4dec6ed27339618a5d5dc366;hp=fe22022617a7122491aa83c893a10a8d861cde73

and delete the hunk which contains changeslog entry and rest should apply
cleanly. And add it to SRC_URI in binutils-2.29.inc

@ 2017-10-13  4:45       ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2017-10-13  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Khem Raj'; +Cc: yocto

> From: Khem Raj [mailto:raj.khem@gmail.com]
>
> you can just make 1 patch download
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=com
mitdiff_plain;h=> 39865a7f420ab4ca4dec6ed27339618a5d5dc366;hp=fe22022617a7122491aa83c893a10a8d861cde73

> and delete the hunk which contains changeslog entry and rest
> should apply
> cleanly. And add it to SRC_URI in binutils-2.29.inc

That didn't change anything. (Pyro is using 2.28, BTW.)

The crosssdk recipe is built in x86_64-linux/binutils-crosssdk-x86_64-pokysdk-linux/2.28-r0/git. All I see in there are a couple of quilt directories containing my patch files, no source files. So I decided to run a devshell. Since that doesn't happen until after the patches are supplied, that failed, too. So I removed the .bbappend and ran the devshell. There they were, a half-bazillion nice source files, including the gas directory. So I put the .bbappend back and ran the devshell again, and the first thing it did was clean that directory, after which the patches failed again.

I have no clue how this build system works. Is the source directory supposed to be where the files are patched? What cleans the source directory? I notice that after any build, there never seem to be any source files hanging around.

--

@ 2017-10-13  4:56     ` John Ernberg
From: John Ernberg @ 2017-10-13  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 10/13/2017 05:52 AM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Khem Raj [mailto:raj.khem@gmail.com]
>>
>> You can apply the patch to all binutils variants, its fine.
>> Send a patch or if you
>> want, file a ticket in bugzilla and we will take care.
> Yocto's Bugzilla isn't recognizing my password, and when it says that it's
> emailed me a password change message, it doesn't show up. However, the
> four small patches are in the Sourceware binutils-gdb GIT repo, at the
> link I mentioned:
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=39865a7f420ab4c
> a4dec6ed27339618a5d5dc366
>
> Just to verify, my binutils-crosssdk_%.bbappend file contains:
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/binutils:"
>
> SRC_URI = "                         \
Looks like you're overriding SRC_URI instead of appending it. Try with
'+=' instead of just '='.
>      file://gas_as.h.patch           \
>      file://gas_ChangeLog.patch      \
>      file://gas_input-scrub.c.patch  \
>      file://gas_listing.c.patch      \
>      "
>
> and the patches from that Bugzilla page are in a binutils directory. The
> errors I get indicate that the patches are being attempted, but aren't
> matching up with any source files.

// John

* Re: How do I patch binutils for the SDK
@ 2017-10-13  5:30       ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2017-10-13  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Ernberg'; +Cc: yocto

> From: John Ernberg
>
> Looks like you're overriding SRC_URI instead of appending it.

I had a feeling I was doing something dumb. Thanks.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco