* Understanding Toaster
@ 2016-11-23  4:28 Rizwan Md
From: Rizwan Md @ 2016-11-23  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster

Hello,

I am new to Yocto project, I have been learning about it. I thought of
using Toaster for the same. I find Toaster to be appealing. But, I have
some doubts regarding toaster. I have listed them below.

1. What is the exact difference between Toaster with Local yocto project
and Toaster with any other release such as krogoth or Morty.

2. In the Local yocto project in Toaster, will the user be able to add
published  OE layers to his project?

3. If by using krogoth or Morty branch for development, the user will be
able to access all the layers/recipes published, why would he use Local
development with Toaster?

4. What is exact difference between setting up Toaster locally and as a
hosted Toaster?

5. Will you be providing Toaster GUI along with Eclipse IDE? Which I now
see is not available.

Please help me understand it better.
Thanks in advance.

Rizwan.

* Re: Understanding Toaster
@ 2016-11-23  4:53 ` Reyna, David
       [not found]   ` <CA+FSg4pDTpSGZzrUbGVggUAvT_Jy2zrmGwP6DZQcOfbZQCMZxQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Reyna, David @ 2016-11-23  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rizwan Md, toaster

Hi Rizwan,

Thank you for your questions!

1. What is the exact difference between Toaster with Local yocto project and Toaster with any other release such as krogoth or Morty.

The “local” option uses whatever version and source of Yocto Project that you had installed and started Toaster with. The advantage is speed since it local and control since you set up your clone.

The “release” options use the public release git repositories, and not the local content (beyond starting Toaster). The advantage is full access to a tested release, with all their layers and packages, so you do not need to worry about making sure your local installation is complete.

2. In the Local yocto project in Toaster, will the user be able to add published  OE layers to his project?

No, unless you add them yourself.

3. If by using krogoth or Morty branch for development, the user will be able to access all the layers/recipes published, why would he use Local development with Toaster?

See above. It comes down to control and speed. If you know what you want and can manage the installation, then go for it. If you are exploring, then use the official repos.

4. What is exact difference between setting up Toaster locally and as a hosted Toaster?

If you only want to access the Toaster server on the machine you are hosting it on, then go simple and start Toaster with the webport=<port>.

If you (and others!) would like to access the Toaster server across the network from any other host, then start Toaster with webport=<IP>:<port>.

5. Will you be providing Toaster GUI along with Eclipse IDE? Which I now see is not available.
Toaster is its own GUI leveraging HTTP and web browsers and is focused on building and analyzing working projects, so there is no need for integration or connection with Eclipse.

The Yocto Project support for Eclipse is more related around developing and debugging applications, something Toaster will not be doing.

- David

@ 2016-11-23 12:36   ` Michael Wood
       [not found]   ` <CA+FSg4pDTpSGZzrUbGVggUAvT_Jy2zrmGwP6DZQcOfbZQCMZxQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Michael Wood @ 2016-11-23 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster

On 23/11/16 04:53, Reyna, David wrote:

> Hi Rizwan,
>
> Thank you for your questions!
>
> 1. What is the exact difference between Toaster with Local yocto
> project and Toaster with any other release such as krogoth or Morty.
>
> The “local” option uses whatever version and source of Yocto Project
> that you had installed and started Toaster with. The advantage is
> speed since it local and control since you set up your clone.
>
> The “release” options use the public release git repositories, and not
> the local content (beyond starting Toaster). The advantage is full
> access to a tested release, with all their layers and packages, so you
> do not need to worry about making sure your local installation is
> complete.
>
> 2. In the Local yocto project in Toaster, will the user be able to add
> published  OE layers to his project?
>
> No, unless you add them yourself.
>
> 3. If by using krogoth or Morty branch for development, the user will
> be able to access all the layers/recipes published, why would he use
> Local development with Toaster?
>
> See above. It comes down to control and speed. If you know what you
> want and can manage the installation, then go for it. If you are
> exploring, then use the official repos.
>
> 4. What is exact difference between setting up Toaster locally and as
> a hosted Toaster?
>
> If you only want to access the Toaster server on the machine you are
> hosting it on, then go simple and start Toaster with the webport=<port>.
> If you (and others!) would like to access the Toaster server across
> the network from any other host, then start Toaster with
> webport=<IP>:<port>.

And just in case you were also meaning "production setup" as we used
"hosted" often to described this in the past (it's confusing I know).

The production setup is a way to setup Toaster as a service for multiple
people to use on a proper build server (for example one that is hosted
in a data centre). For this setup we recommend proven/hardened
technologies to run Toaster with such as Apache webserver and MySQL
(e.g. rather than Toaster's internal webserver and sqlite).

> 5. Will you be providing Toaster GUI along with Eclipse IDE? Which I
> now see is not available.
>
> Toaster is its own GUI leveraging HTTP and web browsers and is focused
> on building and analyzing working projects, so there is no need for
> integration or connection with Eclipse.
>
> The Yocto Project support for Eclipse is more related around
> developing and debugging applications, something Toaster will not be
> doing.
>
> - David

* Re: Understanding Toaster
       [not found]   ` <CA+FSg4pDTpSGZzrUbGVggUAvT_Jy2zrmGwP6DZQcOfbZQCMZxQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-11-30  7:11     ` Reyna, David
From: Reyna, David @ 2016-11-30  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rizwan Md; +Cc: toaster

Hi Rizwan,

> 1. Since the user is required to edit local.conf file if he wants to change the machine, why does Toaster again asks the user to configure the machine via GUI in "Local Yocto Project" type?
When you did this step, what you are doing is setting up a shell and environment to start and stop Toaster. This has nothing to do with projects, since you create and define projects from within Toaster directly.
> 2. If the user selects different machines in local.conf and Toaster GUI, which one is selected for building?
The local.conf in the Toaster’s “build” directory is never used. Toaster creates a unique build directory for each “project”, so that they are all kept clean from each other. When you set the project configuration in Toaster for a project, Toaster will update the respective conf information (via a “conf/toaster.conf” file actually) to reflect your selections.

> 3. I also just want to know, what are your future plans with Toaster. As in, is it going to stay for a long period? hopefully?
Yes, I am in it for the log period :-)

- David