* 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-21 14:25 Chadha, Devesh
From: Chadha, Devesh @ 2004-01-21 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org'

Hi,

I have a linux box with 2 NIC cards, both are properly configured. Both are
on the same subnet, but still don't ping to one another!!

I need to setup the box as the firewall/router that has eth0 set as external
and eth1 as internal serving as DHCP server to other computers on the
network. Both have static IPs assigned to them.

Regards,
Devesh
6-6859

designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination,
communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as
an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial
product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official
statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this information is
complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All
information is subject to change without notice.

-

* Re: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-21 21:44 ` chuck gelm net
From: chuck gelm net @ 2004-01-21 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chadha, Devesh; +Cc: 'linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org'

Hello, Chadha:

 You do not show how you attempt the 'ping',
nor the error message.

Please show exact ping command attempt.
Please show output of 'netstat -r -n'.

 Both cards (should not, cannot) be on the same subnet
for the 'firewall/router' to function.  The 'firewall/router'
should show a route to the local LAN (eth1) for all addresses as
192.168.x.y and a default route (0.0.0.0) to eth0.

An old 'netstat -n -r' of mine looked like:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
67.39.15.254    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0
ppp0
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0
lo
0.0.0.0         67.39.15.254    0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0
ppp0

 In the above case, ppp0 was a ppp-over-ethernet association with eth1.
You should mask out your real IP address for security (if static).

HTH, Chuck
p.s. I have never understood the signature threat! ? ! ?
Perhaps a separate email identity for public messages?

@ 2004-01-23 16:54       ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-01-23 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 07:33 AM 1/23/2004 +0100, pa3gcu wrote:
>On Friday 23 January 2004 05:04, Beolach wrote:
> > chuck wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > >  OBTW, when I
> > >
> > > ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1
> > > ping: bad interface address 'eth0'
> > >
> > >  is what I get.  I do have an eth0 device.     :-|
> >
> > The -I option doesn't take an interface name (ie eth0), but rather the
> > IP address (ie 192.168.0.1) assigned to the interface.
>
>Get your facts right, it does take an interface name as option.
> >From the manual page of ping;
>
>-I interface address
>Set source address to specified interface address. Argument may be numeric IP
>address or name of  device.  When pinging IPv6 link-local address this option
>is required.

When this sort of disagreement pops up, it is helpful to remember that many
"standard" Unix/Linux programs actually exist in multiple versions, even
with up-to-date distros. In this instance, for example, my ping app (on a
fairly current Debian-Sid system) behaves as Beolach's version does, not as
Richard's does. For example:

         ray@kuryakin:~$ ping -I eth0 celine
         bad interface address 'eth0'
         ray@kuryakin:~$ ping -I 192.168.1.2  celine
         PING celine.comarre (192.168.1.23): 56 data bytes
         64 bytes from 192.168.1.23: icmp_seq=0 ttl=254 time=798.5 ms

(And my version of "the" man page for ping doesn't even mention the -I flag.)

>root@localhost:/# ping -I eth0 192.168.10.23
>PING 192.168.10.23 (192.168.10.23) from 192.168.10.15 eth0: 56(84) bytes of
>data.
>64 bytes from 192.168.10.23: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.151 ms
>64 bytes from 192.168.10.23: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0.148 ms
>64 bytes from 192.168.10.23: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=0.153 ms
>
>Now if i try that from my router then i get the same as Chuck gets, why it is
>i dont know and to be honest i dont really care as i do not see the point in
>using the -l option in this case period.

I want to second this final comment. Using tricky tests is always worse
than using straightforward ones, and this is, at best, a tricky test of
routing capabilities. I don't know how to interpret successes or failures,
and I've seen no indication in this discussion that anyone else here does
either. OTOH, testing whether a router actually routes by trying to connect
an actual, distinct host through it is a familiar exercise, with known,
interpretable failure bahaviors.

-

* Re: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-23 10:55     ` chuck
From: chuck @ 2004-01-23 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beolach; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi, Beolach:

 I tried the same thing that Devesh quoted.
I was not stating that the command line was
'configured correctly'. ;-)

Chuck

Beolach wrote:

> chuck wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >  OBTW, when I
> >
> > ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1
> > ping: bad interface address 'eth0'
> >
> >  is what I get.  I do have an eth0 device.     :-|
> >

> The -I option doesn't take an interface name (ie eth0), but rather the
> IP address (ie 192.168.0.1) assigned to the interface.
>
> Conway S. Smith

-

* Re: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-23  6:33     ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2004-01-23  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beolach, chuck; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Friday 23 January 2004 05:04, Beolach wrote:
> chuck wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >  OBTW, when I
> >
> > ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1
> > ping: bad interface address 'eth0'
> >
> >  is what I get.  I do have an eth0 device.     :-|
>
> The -I option doesn't take an interface name (ie eth0), but rather the
> IP address (ie 192.168.0.1) assigned to the interface.

Get your facts right, it does take an interface name as option.
From the manual page of ping;

-I interface address
Set source address to specified interface address. Argument may be numeric IP
address or name of  device.  When pinging IPv6 link-local address this option
is required.

root@localhost:/# ping -I eth0 192.168.10.23
PING 192.168.10.23 (192.168.10.23) from 192.168.10.15 eth0: 56(84) bytes of
data.
64 bytes from 192.168.10.23: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.151 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.23: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0.148 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.10.23: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=0.153 ms

Now if i try that from my router then i get the same as Chuck gets, why it is
i dont know and to be honest i dont really care as i do not see the point in
using the -l option in this case period.

Now if you explain your problem AND show us the configuration you use "To the
letter" then maybe someone here can help you to solve your problem.

The examples i sent you and the most explanatory mail from Ray should have
given you enough infomation to have solved it anyway.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

-

* Re: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-23  4:04   ` Beolach
From: Beolach @ 2004-01-23  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chuck; +Cc: linux-newbie

@ 2004-01-23  0:52 ` chuck
From: chuck @ 2004-01-23  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chadha, Devesh; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi, Devesh:

 I think 'destination host unreachable' is a routing problem.
I think that then no packets are transmitted.
If true, ping would not run and there is no ping failure.

 I think we are done with your original problem of 'ping' failure.

I am guessing, because you never reported the output of
ifconfig eth0, eth1, lo
only that they were 'configured correctly'.

Is eth0 == external network (internet?)?
Is eth1 == internal network 192.168.1.1?
If yes, why would they ping each other?
I see no reason for your internal NIC to 'talk to' your external NIC.
I see no reason for your external NIC to 'talk to' your internal NIC.

  I think the two NICs should never see each others packets without
passing through the router host.

From your previous 'netstat -nr' report,
 from that host,
  if you 'ping -c 4 192.168.1.x'
   the host will route the packets to eth1;
  if you ping any other address
   the host will route the packets to eth0.

"Chadha, Devesh" wrote:

> The name is Devesh.
>
> I have already answered the question in an earlier email. However, once
> again for your convenience,
>
> Ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1 gives Destination host unreachable.
> Ping -I eth1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx also gives Destination host unreachable.
>
> So pinging from eth0 to ip of eth1 and vice versa give dest host
> unreachable.
>
> Pinging from eth1 to external gateway also gives dest host unreachable.
>
> Let me know if u need more info
>
> Regards,
> Devesh

-

* RE: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-22 21:39 Chadha, Devesh

From: chuck @ 2004-01-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beolach; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi, Beolach:
Thanks.
I asked, but Chadha never reported his (exact) 'ping' usage,
nor the (exact) error message.
:-|
Chuck

Beolach wrote:

> ping has a -I option that allows you to specify the source interface.  I
> haven't used this option myself, but I would guess Chadha used some
> thing like this: 'ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1'.
>
> Conway S. Smith
>
> chuck wrote:
> > Dear Chadha:
> >
> > In (4.) & (5.)...
> >
> > I know how to ping from a host with an 'eth0' or 'eth1' device.
> > I do not know how to ping from 'eth0' or from 'eth1'.
> >
> > Sorry, I cannot help.
> >
> > Chuck
> >
> > "Chadha, Devesh" wrote:
> > <snip>
> >

> >>4.Pinging 192.168.1.1 from eth0 gave destnation host unreachable and pinging
> >>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from eth1 gave the same.
> >>
> >>5. I can connect to internet using eth0 since I can browse the internet. I
> >>can also ping the gateway from eth0
> >
> > <snip>

-

* RE: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-22 13:52 Chadha, Devesh
From: Chadha, Devesh @ 2004-01-22 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beolach'; +Cc: chuck, linux-newbie

Beolach,

You are right. Ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1 is what I use to ping from one
interface to another.

Regards,
Devesh

Oops.  I just tried it, and it doesn't take an interface name (eth0),
but rather, the IP address for the interface.  So instead of

ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1

it would be

ping -I xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 192.168.1.1

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of eth0.

-

       [not found] <5F84A09ECDD5D411973000508BE32470266024F6@exnyc07.lehman.co m>
@ 2004-01-22  5:56 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-01-22  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

 From what you wrote, I'd guess that you have not set up iptables to NAT
the LAN hosts. I'm afraid that what you posted did not answer this
definitively, but that was my fault; I asked for incomplete information
about iptables. NAT'ing is done not in the default (filter) table that
"iptables -nvL" reports, but in the nat table, specifically its POSTROUTING
chain.

Run "iptables -t nat -nvL", and look for a rule in POSTROUTING similar to
this one (in which I reckessly reveal my own static IP address, on the
theory that 3 wrongs neither make a right nor improve the readibility of
troubleshooting advice) --

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 149K packets, 9127K bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt
in     out     source               destination
  147K 8592K
SNAT       all  --  *      eth0   !63.198.182.124       0.0.0.0/0
to:63.198.182.124

If it is not there, you create this rule with a command like this one:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s \! 63.198.182.124 -j SNAT
--to-source 63.198.182.124

Since I don't know how you set up iptables on your system -- I don't even
know how stock Red Hat does it, and I won't even try to troubleshoot a
description like "I looked up the internet and ran some scripts" -- I can
tell you only the rule you need, not where in your setup to put the command
to add it.

If this isn't enough to fix your problem, then when you describe it next
time, you need at least to tell us  where you are pinging these IP
addresses *from*. Others have tried to guess what you mean by "Pinging
192.168.1.1 from eth0" and "pinging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from eth1" mean,  but I
prefer to ask you to be clear than to guess. Identify the host explicitly,
quote the actual command you entered (if you feel you must obfuscate the
external IP address, at least quote the rest of the command intact) and the
exact, complete actual response.

Anyway, if you have a LAN to NAT, then you have a host other than this
Linux host on it, right? You should be testing the ability of the Linux
host to route using that host, not by doing tricky things with the
interfaces on the Linux host itself. So if you are using ping with the -I
flag, that's not the best test of routing and NAT'ing ability. Instead, see
if a LAN host can ping --
         the Linux router's internal IP address
         the Linux router's external IP address
         your ISP's gateway IP address (the Limux router's default gateway,
that is)
         some well-known Internet IP address (one known to respond to
pings; not all do)

Use the success or failure of these tests to determine whether your Linux
host is routing/NAT'ing the LAN successfully.

There are several well-known drop-in firewalling packages that will handle
a NAT'd connection like yours probably is. The one I'm most familiar with
is Shorewall (shorewall.sourceforge.net, I think). You might find it easier
to turn to one of them, since any good one will deal with both your NAT'ing
needs and typical firewalling requirements.

[old stuff deleted]
[new garbage deleted]

-

* Re: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-22  4:32     ` Beolach
From: Beolach @ 2004-01-22  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: chuck, linux-newbie

@ 2004-01-22  4:28   ` Beolach
From: Beolach @ 2004-01-22  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chuck; +Cc: linux-newbie

chuck wrote:
> Dear Chadha:
>
> In (4.) & (5.)...
>
> I know how to ping from a host with an 'eth0' or 'eth1' device.
> I do not know how to ping from 'eth0' or from 'eth1'.
>
> Sorry, I cannot help.
>
> Chuck
>
> "Chadha, Devesh" wrote:
> <snip>
>

>>4.Pinging 192.168.1.1 from eth0 gave destnation host unreachable and pinging
>>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from eth1 gave the same.
>>
>>5. I can connect to internet using eth0 since I can browse the internet. I
>>can also ping the gateway from eth0
>
> <snip>

-

* Re: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-22  4:16 ` chuck
From: chuck @ 2004-01-22  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chadha, Devesh; +Cc: linux-newbie

@ 2004-01-22  4:02 ` Beolach
From: Beolach @ 2004-01-22  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chadha, Devesh; +Cc: linux-newbie

It looks to me like you're iptables haven't been setup to NAT.  I have
attached the output of 'iptables -nvL' on my NATing gateway.  Just for
the heck of it I obscured my public address too.  I used a slightly
modified version of the rc.firewall-stronger startup script from the
IP-Masquerade HOWTO (IP-Masquerade is the same thing as NAT).  Links:

The IP-Masquerade HOWTO:
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html>

The exampe startup scripts from the HOWTO.
<http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/ipmasq/examples/>

Good luck,
Conway S. Smith

Chadha, Devesh wrote:
> Here are all the answers:
>
> Chuck's questions:
> My IP address is a public IP.
> I think I am not NATing correctly and hence this problem.
> ping -c 4 192.168.1.1 gives:
> 64 bytes from 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.237 ms
> 64 bytes from 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.152 ms
> 64 bytes from 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.150 ms
> 64 bytes from 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.152 ms
>
> --- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
> 4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% loss, time 3000ms
>
> ping -c 4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gives:
> 64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.237 ms
> 64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.146 ms
> 64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.151 ms
> 64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.149 ms
>
> --- xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ping statistics ---
> 4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% loss, time 2998ms
>
> Rays questions:
> 1. Correction, both are not on same subnet. Sorry for the wrong info. I
> guess I am not NATing right
> 2. given that information. see below
> 3. ip forwarding is on. I dont know if I have NATing set up correct. I
> looked up the internet and ran some scripts.
> Here is my iptables -nvl output:
>
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 46 packets, 4390 bytes)
>  pkts bytes target        prot  opt   in         out        source
> destination
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
>  pkts bytes target        prot  opt   in         out        source
> destination
>     0     0 ACCEPT         all  --    eth1        *         0.0.0.0/0
> 0.0.0.0/0
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 66 packets, 6036 bytes)
>  pkts bytes target        prot  opt   in         out        source
> destination
>
> 4.Pinging 192.168.1.1 from eth0 gave destnation host unreachable and pinging
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from eth1 gave the same.
>
> 5. I can connect to internet using eth0 since I can browse the internet. I
> can also ping the gateway from eth0
>
> Hope this helps. I know that xxx.xxx.... is annoying, but I cant help it.
>
> Thanks for taking interest...

[-- Attachment #2: iptables-nvL --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3214 bytes --]

Chain INPUT (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
 1614  165K ACCEPT     all  --  lo     *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
 339K   51M ACCEPT     all  --  eth0   *       192.168.0.0/24       0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 drop-and-log-it  all  --  eth1   *       192.168.0.0/24       0.0.0.0/0
 5577  489K ACCEPT     icmp --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0            xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
 756K 1092M ACCEPT     all  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0            xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx       state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          tcp spt:123 dpt:123
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          udp spt:123 dpt:123
 1358 66864 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0            xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx       state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED tcp dpt:80
   62  2232 ACCEPT     udp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0            xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx       udp spt:6112
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0            xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx       udp dpt:6112
 358K  127M drop-and-log-it  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
19540 1801K ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          tcp dpt:6112 state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED
 2210  109K ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          tcp dpt:6113 state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED
3773K 2726M ACCEPT     all  --  eth1   eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
3785K 2010M ACCEPT     all  --  eth0   eth1    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 drop-and-log-it  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP 4 packets, 960 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
 1614  165K ACCEPT     all  --  *      lo      0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
  564  443K ACCEPT     all  --  *      eth0    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx         192.168.0.0/24
 423K 1093M ACCEPT     all  --  *      eth0    192.168.0.0/24       192.168.0.0/24
    0     0 drop-and-log-it  all  --  *      eth1    0.0.0.0/0            192.168.0.0/24
 645K   39M ACCEPT     all  --  *      eth1    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx         0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          tcp spt:123 dpt:123
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          udp spt:123 dpt:123
    0     0 drop-and-log-it  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain drop-and-log-it (5 references)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
 358K  127M LOG        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          LOG flags 0 level 6
 358K  127M REJECT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

* RE: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-22  2:31 Chadha, Devesh

From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-01-22  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 07:32 PM 1/21/2004 -0500, Chadha, Devesh wrote:
>Well my reason for not giving is that it is a public IP and does not have
>any firewalls in place. This exposes my server much more to unauthorized
>"visit"
>
>Anyway...lets get down to getting this done.
>
>I am on RH Linux 8
>uname -a is Linux 2.4.18
>netstat -nr gives
>192.168.1.0                     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0           U
>eth1
>xxx.xxx.xxx.0           0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0           U       eth0
>127.0.0.1                       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0
>U       lo
>0.0.0.0                 xxx.xxx.xxx.1   0.0.0.0                 UG      eth0
>
>ifconfig gives me that eth0, eth1 and lo are correctly configured.
>
>ip_forward gives a "1"
>
>What do the gurus say???

Not being a guru -- I'm just a guy who knows something about routing and
firewalling -- I need the answers to ALL of the questions I asked, not just
the less than 2 of them that the information above answers.

That includes the two questions I ask below about your public IP address.

It includes examples of the tests you did and how they failed; see my prior
message for the details.

And just to be clear -- can this host *itself* not connect to other hosts
on the Internet, or is the problem ONLY with LAN hosts attempting to use it
as a NAT'ing router?

The kernel capability that firewalls -- iptables in the case of 2.4.x
kernels - is the same capability that NATs. It certainly seems that you
need to NAT this connection (or if not, your setup with your ISP is
suficiently unusual that you won't get meaningful help without describing
it). So if you do "not have any firewalls in place", how *is* the system
NAT'ing LAN hosts?

In addition to everything I asked for before, we probably need to see the
output of

         iptables -nvL

[garbage deleted]

-

* Re: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-22  1:24 ` chuck
From: chuck @ 2004-01-22  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chadha, Devesh; +Cc: 'Ray Olszewski', linux-newbie

Hi, Chadha:

Originally, you said:

> I have a linux box with 2 NIC cards, both are properly configured.
> Both are on the same subnet, but still don't ping to one another!!

 You do not show how you attempt the 'ping',
nor the error message.

Please show exact ping command attempt.

I was hoping for something like:
gelmce@web:~$ ping -c 4 192.168.0.1
PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 octets data
64 octets from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=127 time=1.6 ms
64 octets from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=127 time=1.4 ms
64 octets from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=127 time=1.4 ms
64 octets from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=127 time=1.3 ms

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.3/1.4/1.6 ms

The above (LAN) IP address is my hardware router, a DLink DI-604.

gelmce@web:~$ ping -c 4 68.74.221.208
PING 68.74.221.208 (68.74.221.208): 56 octets data
64 octets from 68.74.221.208: icmp_seq=0 ttl=127 time=1.6 ms
64 octets from 68.74.221.208: icmp_seq=1 ttl=127 time=1.4 ms
64 octets from 68.74.221.208: icmp_seq=2 ttl=127 time=1.4 ms
64 octets from 68.74.221.208: icmp_seq=3 ttl=127 time=1.4 ms

--- 68.74.221.208 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.4/1.4/1.6 ms
The above is the IP address that my ISP gives my router.

So, again, exactly how does 'ping' fail?

Chuck

"Chadha, Devesh" wrote:

> Well my reason for not giving is that it is a public IP and does not have
> any firewalls in place. This exposes my server much more to unauthorized
> "visit"
>
> Anyway...lets get down to getting this done.
>
> I am on RH Linux 8
> uname -a is Linux 2.4.18
> netstat -nr gives
> 192.168.1.0                     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0           U
> eth1
> xxx.xxx.xxx.0           0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0           U       eth0
> 127.0.0.1                       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0
> U       lo
> 0.0.0.0                 xxx.xxx.xxx.1   0.0.0.0                 UG      eth0
>
> ifconfig gives me that eth0, eth1 and lo are correctly configured.
>
> ip_forward gives a "1"
>
> What do the gurus say???

-

* RE: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-22  0:32 Chadha, Devesh

       [not found] <5F84A09ECDD5D411973000508BE32470266024F2@exnyc07.lehman.co m>
@ 2004-01-22  0:01 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-01-22  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

@ 2004-01-21 21:52 Chadha, Devesh
From: Chadha, Devesh @ 2004-01-21 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'chuck gelm net'; +Cc: 'linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org'

Chuck,

Noted your and Ray's comments. I will get back with all the information
soon.

Ray:
I have static IP and therefore I cannot give the actual IP address.

All:
I am using the office ID and they append this disclaimer to every email.
Don't have any control on that. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Devesh

       [not found] <5F84A09ECDD5D411973000508BE32470266024E7@exnyc07.lehman.co m>
@ 2004-01-21 17:08 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-01-21 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 10:23 AM 1/21/2004 -0500, Chadha, Devesh wrote:
>Juan,
>
>Eth0 has the external assigned IP by my ISP. Eth1 has a 192.168.x.x ip
>address. Eth1 acts as the DHCP server for my LAN. My LAN is working fine. I
>can connect machines to the LAN and even connect one machine to another.
>
>But I cannot get eth1 to talk to eth0. I cannot connect the LAN to the
>internet nor connect to any internal machine from outside!!
>
>Do I need to bridge the 2 NICs ???

This description is better than your first try, but it still leaves out way
too much information. Terms like "connect" and "talk to" are, in this
context, too vague, and interfaces don't "talk to" each other by any
reasonable definition of "talk to". Moreover, some of what you say here
appears inconsistent with the first report (or perhaps you changed your
setup between them). So please go step by step and give us the required
details.

1. What is the physical setup here? In this second message, you talk about
connecting "the LAN to the internet", but the first message said bith NICs
were "on the same subnet". Is this 2-NIC Linux host intended to act as a
router or not (I'm guessing yes)? If yes, does it need to NAT or not (I'm
guessing it does)?

2. What are the actual IP addresses involved, and what does the routing
table on the Linux host look like? (IP addresses are not secrets, after
all.) Show us the output of

         ifconfig -a [the complete entries for eth0 and eth1]
         netstat -nr

3. Assuming the Linux host is supposed to be acting as a router, do you
have it configured to do so? First, is ip_forwarding turned on (that is,
does "more /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" return a "1")? Second, assuming I
read this correctly that the LAN uses private IP addresses
(192.168.c.d/16-24) and the ISP side a public address you have not
identified, you you have iptables set up to NAT the LAN?

4. What actual tests are you making, and what are their actual results?
Hosts don't "talk to" each other. They "ping", and "telnet", and "ssh", and
a bunch of other things ... we need to know what fails (and how -- ping,
for example, fails in at least 4 distinct ways) to be able to diagnnose a
problem beyond offering wild guesses (as I have above).

5. Can the Linux router itself ping, or make other connections, to Internet
hosts? That is, does eth0 work at all, as configured? Be specifc in your
response about what tests you emplyed to answer this.

6. If you do post again, please include the basics of your setup: What
Linux distro and version, what kernel ("uname -a"), what NICs, and the
specifics I asked for above. Note the number of times I had to "guess" or
"assume" something, and it will tell you how much important detail you've
left out.

If I'm ***guessing*** correctly about your setup, you need to be NAT'ing a
private-address LAN. If so, you will, with a bit of work, be able to set it
up so that the LAN hosts can initiate connections to Internet hosts
(assuming your ISP is not doing something unusual with your service). But
setting things up to that Internet hosts can initiate connections to LAN
hosts will be more involved, and more limited, since they all share a
single public (routable) IP address ... you'll need to use port forwarding
(DNAT, in iptables terms) and make only one host available per service.

Finally, and just as a matter of form, I must object to you (or anyone)
posting messages to this list with the assertion that they are
"confidential" and that "any review, dissemination,  distribution or
copying of this message is strictly prohibited". I understand that the
attachment of this baloney is outside your personal control ... but it is
baloney nonetheless, and you and your employer need to understand that it
is made meaningless by the act of you sending the message to a mailing list.

[boilerplate baloney deleted]

-

* Re: 2 NIC cards not talking
@ 2004-01-21 16:47 ` Juan Facundo Suárez
From: Juan Facundo Suárez @ 2004-01-21 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie list

 mmm, the ask is, how are you trying to conect your lan to internet ? using
iptables ?, using squid?

 What the system says if you execute "ifconfig" ?, are both up ?

 You are goingo to need more than a dhcp server to share internet to your
lan. I guess you are goingo to use iptables at least.

 Sorry if i am saying to you, things you just know. May be i don't
understand you. :s

--
Facundo Suárez
Neuquén - Argentina
FDSoft
mail y jabber: faco@fdsoft.com.ar
facundo.suarez@ensi.com.ar

| Eth0 has the external assigned IP by my ISP. Eth1 has a 192.168.x.x ip
| address. Eth1 acts as the DHCP server for my LAN. My LAN is working fine.
| can connect machines to the LAN and even connect one machine to another.
|
| But I cannot get eth1 to talk to eth0. I cannot connect the LAN to the
| internet nor connect to any internal machine from outside!!
|
| Do I need to bridge the 2 NICs ???
|
| Regards,
| Devesh

| |
| | I have a linux box with 2 NIC cards, both are properly configured.
| | Both
| are
| | on the same subnet, but still don't ping to one another!!
| |
| | I need to setup the box as the firewall/router that has eth0 set as
| external
| | and eth1 as internal serving as DHCP server to other computers on the
| | network. Both have static IPs assigned to them.
| |
| | Regards,
| | Devesh
| | 6-6859
| |
| |

@ 2004-01-21 16:47 Chadha, Devesh
From: Chadha, Devesh @ 2004-01-21 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl', linux-newbie list

Thanks Richard,

I would try that!!

A little history..
I have tried the home network howto and the script given there, but it did
not work. I tried to understand iptables and write them myself, that didn't
work! I have now loaded firestarter firewall....but still no result.

I shall try your solution after I reach home and get back to you tomorrow.

Regards,
Devesh

From: pa3gcu @ 2004-01-21 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chadha, Devesh, linux-newbie list

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 16:23, Chadha, Devesh wrote:
> Juan,
>
> Eth0 has the external assigned IP by my ISP. Eth1 has a 192.168.x.x ip
> address. Eth1 acts as the DHCP server for my LAN. My LAN is working fine. I
> can connect machines to the LAN and even connect one machine to another.
>
> But I cannot get eth1 to talk to eth0. I cannot connect the LAN to the
> internet nor connect to any internal machine from outside!!

Then you need "masquerading", in otherwords iptables or ipchains.
Also make sure /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is set to "1"

Something like the following for iptables;

#!/bin/sh

iptables --flush            # Flush all the rules in filter and nat tables
iptables --table nat --flush
iptables --delete-chain     #chains that are not in default filter/nat table
iptables --table nat --delete-chain

# Set up IP FORWARDing and Masquerading
iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth1 -j ACCEPT

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward  # Enables packet forwarding by kernel
This is a must for both examples.

Or the following with ipchains.
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.11.0/24 -j MASQ
Change to suit your subnet.

> Do I need to bridge the 2 NICs ???

No.

--