* Add size property of EEPROM device
@ 2020-11-24  7:31 he.huang
From: he.huang @ 2020-11-24  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ed, jae.hyun.yoo, vernon.mauery, openbmc

Hi All,
I'm going to add the "size" property to the fru device .json file under entity-manager/configurations.

The requirement comes from:
When we write to the EEPROM we need the size to ensure that we won't write out of the range and return the correct complete code.

Here is an example for review:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/entity-manager/+/38532

If the proposal gets approved I will add the 'size' property to the other .json file under entity-manager/configurations.

Could you please help to review and let me know if you have any comments.
Thanks a lot.

2020-11-24

Helen.huang

* Re: Add size property of EEPROM device
@ 2020-11-25 15:36 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2020-11-25 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: he.huang, ed, jae.hyun.yoo, vernon.mauery, openbmc

On Tue, 2020-11-24 at 15:31 +0800, he.huang wrote:
> The requirement comes from:
> When we write to the EEPROM we need the size to ensure that we won't
> write out of the range and return the correct complete code.

Don't the eeprom drivers prevent this?

* Re:  Re: Add size property of EEPROM device
@ 2020-11-26  0:27   ` he.huang
From: he.huang @ 2020-11-26  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, ed, jae.hyun.yoo, vernon.mauery, openbmc

Hi Brad,
Yes, eeprom driver could help the requirement partially.
As Ed's comments on the patch, we still need the size in the upper level such as IPMI command handler, to differentiate the error between writing failed and writing out of the range, and return the correct complete code.
Thanks.

2020-11-26

Helen.huang