* help: how to contribute to the community
@ 2020-12-08  7:43 Wang Mingyu
From: Wang Mingyu @ 2020-12-08  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci

Hi, all

I am currently using this tool.
Although I am still new, I still want to contribute to the community.
Is there anything I can do?
For example, bug fix, or simple new plan to kernelci.

Best regards
Wang Mingyu
  --
Best Regards
Wang Mingyu

* Re: help: how to contribute to the community
@ 2020-12-10 10:12 ` Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2020-12-10 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci, wangmy

On 08/12/2020 07:43, Wang Mingyu wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I am currently using this tool.
> Although I am still new, I still want to contribute to the community.
> Is there anything I can do?
> For example, bug fix, or simple new plan to kernelci.

Thank you for your interest, there are plenty of things that
first-time contributors can do in KernelCI.  One would be to
enable i386 builds with Clang, as per this GitHub issue:

  https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/issues/517

At the moment, kernelci.org builds linux-next with Clang on arm,
arm64, x86_64 and riscv architectures.  Of all the other
architectures that aren't built yet, i386 should be the easiest
one to add.  Doing this does not require any service to be
installed locally, all you need is Docker and the kernelci-core
repository.  The work to do is basically:

* run kci_build in KernelCI Docker images with the clang-11 and
  clang-10 toolchains to build kernels for i386

* report or fix any build issues, this might just work but it
  needs to be verified with both clang versions

* edit build-configs.yaml to add i386 to the list of
  architectures built with clang-11 and clang-10 if it also
  works

* verify that the list of builds for linux-next includes i386
  defconfig with clang using "kci_build list_kernel_configs"

* send a pull request in GitHub with the change, this will then
  get tested on staging.kernelci.org and reviewed

If it works as expected on staging.kernelci.org and once the PR
review is complete, this will then get merged and deployed in
production for kernelci.org.

Does that sound like something you would be interested to do?

Thanks,
Guillaume

* Re: help: how to contribute to the community
@ 2020-12-11  2:15   ` Wang Mingyu
From: Wang Mingyu @ 2020-12-11  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker, kernelci

Hi Guillaume,

Thank you very much for giving me such a suggestion, and I will take this issue seriously.
If I encounter any problems in the process, I hope to continue to communicate with you.

Thanks again

@ 2021-01-06  1:05   ` Wang Mingyu
From: Wang Mingyu @ 2021-01-06  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker, kernelci

Hi Guillaume,

I've already added i386 to the list of architectures built with clang-11 and clang-10.
Please confirm if there is any problem.

In addition, pull request 545 has not been confirmed. If there are any problems, please let me know

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know. Thank you

Best regards
Wang Mingyu

@ 2021-01-25 23:21     ` Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2021-01-25 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci, wangmy

Hello,

On 06/01/2021 01:05, Wang Mingyu wrote:
> Hi Guillaume,
>
> I've already added i386 to the list of architectures built with clang-11 and clang-10.
> Please confirm if there is any problem.

Sorry for the delay in replying, and thank you for your
contributions.  The PR to enable i386 Clang builds looks fine,
I'm doing a couple of builds to verify it's working as expected
with the current Clang Docker containers and the default build
options.  I'll put a comment on the PR.

> In addition, pull request 545 has not been confirmed. If there are any problems, please let me know

There was a small issue with how the PR was created, the origin
repo appeared to be "unknown" rather than your fork.  Then the PR
got closed by accident when renaming the "master" branch
to "main", I think it's because of the unknown repository.  In
any case, thanks for reporting the issue as the code wasn't easy
to use.  I've now refactored it with a simpler implementation
using methods in the LAVA class:

  https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/pull/590

On a different topic, have you considered sending test results
from a Fujitsu test lab?  You could set up a LAVA instance to
have tests scheduled on your platforms by kernelci.org, or if you
have an existing automated test system for the upstream kernel
you may send the results directly to KCIDB (or do both).

Best regards,
Guillaume

@ 2021-01-26  5:36       ` Wang Mingyu
From: Wang Mingyu @ 2021-01-26  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker, kernelci

Hi Guillaume,
> Sorry for the delay in replying, and thank you for your contributions.  The PR
> to enable i386 Clang builds looks fine, I'm doing a couple of builds to verify
> it's working as expected with the current Clang Docker containers and the
> default build options.  I'll put a comment on the PR.
>
> There was a small issue with how the PR was created, the origin repo
> appeared to be "unknown" rather than your fork.  Then the PR got closed by
> accident when renaming the "master" branch to "main", I think it's because
> of the unknown repository.  In any case, thanks for reporting the issue as
> the code wasn't easy to use.  I've now refactored it with a simpler
> implementation using methods in the LAVA class:
>
>   https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/pull/590
Got it, thanks a lot.

> On a different topic, have you considered sending test results from a Fujitsu
> test lab?  You could set up a LAVA instance to have tests scheduled on your
> platforms by kernelci.org, or if you have an existing automated test system
> for the upstream kernel you may send the results directly to KCIDB (or do
> both).
Now we are still in the investigation stage of kernelci and lava.
If it is confirmed that they can be used in our work, I will do this step again

Best regards
Wang Mingyu