* Zombie dm device?
@ 2017-04-17 19:50 Phil Susi
From: Phil Susi @ 2017-04-17 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

After running the parted test suite I seem to have a zombie md device:

root@devserv:~# mdadm -D /dev/md99
/dev/md99:
        Version :
     Raid Level : raid0
  Total Devices : 0

          State : inactive

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice

Why is this thing still hanging around, and how do you get rid of it?  I
tried mdadm --stop /dev/md99 but it didn't get rid of it.  I also can't
find any mdadm switch or a delete file or similar in the sysfs node.

root@devserv:~# uname -a
Linux devserv 4.4.0-72-generic #93-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 31 14:07:41 UTC
2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

* Re: Zombie dm device?
@ 2017-04-18  2:36 ` Zhilong Liu
From: Zhilong Liu @ 2017-04-18  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Susi, linux-raid

On 04/18/2017 03:50 AM, Phil Susi wrote:
> After running the parted test suite I seem to have a zombie md device:
>
> root@devserv:~# mdadm -D /dev/md99
> /dev/md99:
>          Version :
>       Raid Level : raid0
>    Total Devices : 0
>
>            State : inactive
>
>      Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice
>

> Why is this thing still hanging around, and how do you get rid of it?  I
> tried mdadm --stop /dev/md99 but it didn't get rid of it.  I also can't
> find any mdadm switch or a delete file or similar in the sysfs node.

can you find the /sys/block/md99/md/array_state? issue the
# echo clear > /sys/block/md99/md/array_state  to stop array.
The test suit is in improving progress, a few test cases cannot
work well currently. you can talk about your requirement, and
I would record it. more details, more appreciate. :-)

Thanks,
-Zhilong

@ 2017-04-18 13:00   ` Phil Susi
From: Phil Susi @ 2017-04-18 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhilong Liu, linux-raid

On 4/17/2017 10:36 PM, Zhilong Liu wrote:
> can you find the /sys/block/md99/md/array_state? issue the
> # echo clear > /sys/block/md99/md/array_state  to stop array.
> The test suit is in improving progress, a few test cases cannot
> work well currently. you can talk about your requirement, and
> I would record it. more details, more appreciate. :-)

It already said it was clear.  Attempting to clear it again apparently
rebooted the virtual machine and for some reason, syslog and kern.log
are empty and the previous one is last dated 8 days ago.

Odd that it just rebooted too since I'm pretty sure a panic should have
just halted the system with the panic message written to the vnc console.

* Re: Zombie dm device?
@ 2017-04-20  2:55     ` Zhilong Liu
From: Zhilong Liu @ 2017-04-20  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Susi, linux-raid

On 04/18/2017 09:00 PM, Phil Susi wrote:
> On 4/17/2017 10:36 PM, Zhilong Liu wrote:
>> can you find the /sys/block/md99/md/array_state? issue the
>> # echo clear > /sys/block/md99/md/array_state  to stop array.
>> The test suit is in improving progress, a few test cases cannot
>> work well currently. you can talk about your requirement, and
>> I would record it. more details, more appreciate. :-)
> It already said it was clear.  Attempting to clear it again apparently
> rebooted the virtual machine and for some reason, syslog and kern.log
> are empty and the previous one is last dated 8 days ago.
>
> Odd that it just rebooted too since I'm pretty sure a panic should have
> just halted the system with the panic message written to the vnc console.

however, we cannot put up with panic, would you mind to retest and lock
on which test
case triggered panic and reproduced, I would test it on my site and find
why it happens.

Thanks,
-Zhilong