From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>
To: Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@redhat.com>,
	Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
Cc: Hanno Zulla <abos@hanno.de>,
	linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org, anthony.wong@canonical.com
Subject: Re: Support of rtl8723bs
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 10:09:25 -0500	[thread overview]

On 09/12/2016 09:47 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net> writes:
>> On Mon, 2016-09-12 at 11:20 +0200, Hanno Zulla wrote:
>>> Hi Jes,
>>> hello linux-wireless,
>>> it as a guinea pig to test on my hardware. The newer vendor driver
>>> crashed on Ubuntu' 4.4 sources and doesn't compile yet on Ubuntu 4.8-
>>> rc
>>> sources.
>>> https://github.com/anthonywong/rtl8723bs/issues/1
>>
>> I really don't care about the vendor driver. There's no way to track
>> changes other than through code dumps.
>>
>> Longer term, it seems likely that improving Jes' driver is the way to
>> go. At least there's 170k less lines of code to read in the rtl8723bs
>> driver to get things going.
>
> Longer term I think it makes sense to add SDIO support to rtl8xxxu. The
> differences between the USB version and the SDIO version are rather
> small.
>
> That said, I have quite a lot of things on my TODO list so it is going
> to take some time until I can look at this. It may make sense to pull
> a cleaned up version of the vendor driver into staging until then if
> there is a desperate need for it, but otherwise any help would be
> appreciated :)

I agree with Jes that adding support for SDIO in rtl8xxxu would be a useful
step. If anyone wants to help, that would be the place to start. I disagree that
this driver should be dumped into staging. If one reads the various issues
associated with the GitHub repo, you will see that this driver has severe
problems that are unlikely to be fixed with a cleanup. The latest report is that
the driver causes the loss of clock interrupts, which is not surprising given
the sorry state of locking in the driver.

Complicating matters is that no one outside Realtek ever sees the details of any
commit. At intervals, they make a dump of their current code and release it. The
differences between two such releases amounts to many thousands of lines, and
finding any changes due to bug fixes is a "needle in the haystack" problem.

Larry