* Re: [Bluez-devel] spam controls
@ 2007-02-16 19:19 John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-16 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Well, I think a lot of basic spam filters deal with things such as
subject, and in this case, bluez is in the subject, so i don't want to
prevent that.

I am confused why, like other lists, there can not be a requirement
that you belong to a list to mail the list.

@ 2007-02-16 19:30 ` Stefan Behlert
From: Stefan Behlert @ 2007-02-16 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Moin,

On Feb 16, 07 13:19:08 -0600, John H. wrote:
> Well, I think a lot of basic spam filters deal with things such as
> subject, and in this case, bluez is in the subject, so i don't want to
> prevent that.

I know no spam filter that judges only based on Subject. I think that would
be a very poor filter, indead.

Every spam filter worth its name parses the content, and weights it.

> I am confused why, like other lists, there can not be a requirement
> that you belong to a list to mail the list.

As the other Stefan explained to you:
        "Not if it is listed as contact in the MAINTAINERS file."

Also this statement might be questionable in it's absolut form, he has a
point there.

You _could_ use a spam filter, you know?
And besides that the best way would be to activate a spam filter in the
mailing list program. But I do not know if that is possible for that list

        ciao,
          Stefan

> =

> On 2/16/07, Stefan Behlert <behlert@suse.de> wrote:
> > Moin,
> >
> > On Feb 16, 07 11:26:24 -0600, John H. wrote:
> > > Considering there are at least several spams a day, I know for a fact
> > > that's not true.
> >
> > Why should it be "not true" if he has working spam-filters?
> > Looks like you don't have those, which is very surprising.

> > But looking in my spam folder I agree that there are several spam-mails
> > each day. A spam-filter for the list would not be a bad idea, true.
> > But until then I can live with my own spam-filters.
> >
> >         Stefan

-- =

Stefan Behlert

* Re: [Bluez-devel] spam controls
@ 2007-02-16 19:30 ` Stefan Seyfried
From: Stefan Seyfried @ 2007-02-16 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 01:19:08PM -0600, John H. wrote:
> Well, I think a lot of basic spam filters deal with things such as
> subject, and in this case, bluez is in the subject, so i don't want to
> prevent that.
>
> I am confused why, like other lists, there can not be a requirement
> that you belong to a list to mail the list.

Because this list is in the MAINTAINERS file of the linux kernel, listed
as contact for the bluez subsystem:

BLUETOOTH SUBSYSTEM
P:      Marcel Holtmann
M:      marcel@holtmann.org
P:      Maxim Krasnyansky
M:      maxk@qualcomm.com
L:      bluez-devel@lists.sf.net
W:      http://bluez.sf.net
W:      http://www.bluez.org
W:      http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/
T:      git kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/holtmann/bluetooth-2.6.git
S:      Maintained

BTW: "several spams a day" is less than this huge useless thread. And i will
     stop contributing to it now.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."

* Re: [Bluez-devel] spam controls
@ 2007-02-16 19:35   ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-16 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Not if you add them up day after day.

@ 2007-02-16 21:04   ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-02-16 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi Stefan,

> > I am confused why, like other lists, there can not be a requirement
> > that you belong to a list to mail the list.
>
> As the other Stefan explained to you:
>         "Not if it is listed as contact in the MAINTAINERS file."
>
> Also this statement might be questionable in it's absolut form, he has a
> point there.

it is not, but I don't wanna have other people to deal with mailing list
subscription. It is the preferred way and I want it that way. Period.

> You _could_ use a spam filter, you know?

Exactly. The amount of spam I deal with every day, the bluez-devel
mailing list is less than 1% actually.

> And besides that the best way would be to activate a spam filter in the
> mailing list program. But I do not know if that is possible for that list

It works fine for me. I don't see any of the bluez-devel spam until I go
into my spam folder.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-devel] spam controls
@ 2007-02-17  2:09   ` Kelly Price
From: Kelly Price @ 2007-02-17  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On 2/16/07, Stefan Seyfried <seife@suse.de> wrote:
> Because this list is in the MAINTAINERS file of the linux kernel, listed
> as contact for the bluez subsystem:
>
> BLUETOOTH SUBSYSTEM
> P:      Marcel Holtmann
> M:      marcel@holtmann.org
> P:      Maxim Krasnyansky
> M:      maxk@qualcomm.com
> L:      bluez-devel@lists.sf.net
> W:      http://bluez.sf.net
> W:      http://www.bluez.org
> W:      http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/
> T:      git kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/holtmann/bluetooth-2.6.git
> S:      Maintained

Wait a min... from the kernel sources MAINTAINERS file (usually
located in /usr/src/linux/):

**BEGIN QUOTE**
P: Person
M: Mail patches to
L: Mailing list that is relevant to this area
W: Web-page with status/info
T: SCM tree type and location.  Type is one of: git, hg, quilt.
S: Status, one of the following:
**END QUOTE**

If I'm reading the MAINTAINERS file correctly, the persons of contact
are Marcel and Maxim.  The development list is recognized as such, and
the websites are listed.  There is no requirement that the list be
open for everyone and their mother to post to, and it's only common
sense that subscription information be made availible (which it is on
the web site, it's how I subscribed).

I'm of the position that if you're looking to send in a patch, you at
least send it to Marcel and Maxim; you more likely join the list and
send it through there.  The most intelligent would check the archives
to see if it's been fixed already before getting involved.  Only an
moron would spam all three email addresses with a patch; only an idiot
would spam dribble to all three.  Unfortunately, spammers have been
observed to be idiots.

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://strredwolf.furrynet.com

* Re: [Bluez-devel] spam controls
@ 2007-02-17 10:39     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-02-17 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi Kelly,

> > Because this list is in the MAINTAINERS file of the linux kernel, listed
> > as contact for the bluez subsystem:
> >
> > BLUETOOTH SUBSYSTEM
> > P:      Marcel Holtmann
> > M:      marcel@holtmann.org
> > P:      Maxim Krasnyansky
> > M:      maxk@qualcomm.com
> > L:      bluez-devel@lists.sf.net
> > W:      http://bluez.sf.net
> > W:      http://www.bluez.org
> > W:      http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/
> > T:      git kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/holtmann/bluetooth-2.6.git
> > S:      Maintained
> >

> Wait a min... from the kernel sources MAINTAINERS file (usually
> located in /usr/src/linux/):
>
> **BEGIN QUOTE**
> P: Person
> M: Mail patches to
> L: Mailing list that is relevant to this area
> W: Web-page with status/info
> T: SCM tree type and location.  Type is one of: git, hg, quilt.
> S: Status, one of the following:
> **END QUOTE**
>
> If I'm reading the MAINTAINERS file correctly, the persons of contact
> are Marcel and Maxim.  The development list is recognized as such, and
> the websites are listed.  There is no requirement that the list be
> open for everyone and their mother to post to, and it's only common
> sense that subscription information be made availible (which it is on
> the web site, it's how I subscribed).
>
> I'm of the position that if you're looking to send in a patch, you at
> least send it to Marcel and Maxim; you more likely join the list and
> send it through there.  The most intelligent would check the archives
> to see if it's been fixed already before getting involved.  Only an
> moron would spam all three email addresses with a patch; only an idiot
> would spam dribble to all three.  Unfortunately, spammers have been
> observed to be idiots.

that is wrong. People CC the mailing list when they do changes and there
is no need that people like Andrew Morton, Adrian Bunk etc. have to
subscribe to it first. And I want it this way. Period.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-devel] spam controls
@ 2007-02-17 17:21       ` Kelly Price
From: Kelly Price @ 2007-02-17 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On 2/17/07, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org> wrote:
> that is wrong. People CC the mailing list when they do changes and there
> is no need that people like Andrew Morton, Adrian Bunk etc. have to
> subscribe to it first. And I want it this way. Period.

Too bad there isn't a comment field there for doing that.

We'll need a moderator, even if it's a robomod, if the spam keeps
getting up.  I'm half tempted to redirect the mail to my Source Forge
account and have my filters run it through a seperate SpamAssassin
instance.