* [Bluez-devel] if using bluetooth DUN, how to get best performance?
@ 2007-02-19  3:02 John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-19  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

I am using bluetooth DUN on an EVDO network, but it's not that fast.
Is there anything I should do to maximize the speed I get?

like, should i leave it at 230000 baud, or increase it to something else, etc.

* Re: [Bluez-devel] if using bluetooth DUN, how to get best performance?
@ 2007-02-19  3:51 ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-02-19  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

John

> I am using bluetooth DUN on an EVDO network, but it's not that fast.
> Is there anything I should do to maximize the speed I get?
>
> like, should i leave it at 230000 baud, or increase it to something else, etc.

it depends a lot on the phone. The pocketpc phones I've tried were
notoriously bad at the data rate (and also tend to drop the connection
at random)

the best phone was a e815 but verizon seems to have messed up dun on it.
it was getting 600kbps in urban areas. the 700p I have now gets around
400kbps.

evdo quality varies a bit... some areas I never got better than 300kbps
even with the motorola.

my serial baud rate is set to 460800 but that doesn't seem to really matter.

brad

* Re: [Bluez-devel] if using bluetooth DUN, how to get best performance?
@ 2007-02-19 18:13   ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-19 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

well, when using pdanet's software in xp and usb connection, i got over 800kb/s
when using bt dun in XP, i got 160kb/s

I am assuming it was roughly the same speed in linux DUN.  I don't see
them fixing their software itself to run on linux any time soon, so i
am probably stuck with BT DUN as opposed to USB dun in linux, so i was
wondering if there was anything i could do.

@ 2007-02-20  2:51     ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-02-20  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

John

> well, when using pdanet's software in xp and usb connection, i got over 800kb/s
> when using bt dun in XP, i got 160kb/s
>
> I am assuming it was roughly the same speed in linux DUN.  I don't see
> them fixing their software itself to run on linux any time soon, so i
> am probably stuck with BT DUN as opposed to USB dun in linux, so i was
> wondering if there was anything i could do.

which phone are you using? do you use pdanet for bt dun or a native dun
service?

in my experience, pocketpc runs bt dun nowhere near the bluetooth
bandwidth ceiling. It probably doesn't make any difference if you find a
phone with bt2.0+edr. Their performance just stinks. The numbers you
mention are not surprising.

sometimes it crosses the line from poor performance to simply buggy. I
was consistently locking up the sprint 6700 when using a linux dun
client. I'm not sure if there's anything we can do from bluez to help
the situation. I took the phone back.

brad

* Re: [Bluez-devel] if using bluetooth DUN, how to get best performance?
@ 2007-02-20  8:44       ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-20  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

I am using the moto Q with sprint, and pdanet.  It doesn't work
without pdanet, and pdanet also lets me use it without using the modem
plan.  Is it the pdanet software that may be limiting bandwidth?

@ 2007-02-20 23:43         ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-02-20 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

John

> I am using the moto Q with sprint, and pdanet.  It doesn't work
> without pdanet, and pdanet also lets me use it without using the modem
> plan.  Is it the pdanet software that may be limiting bandwidth?

>>>well, when using pdanet's software in xp and usb connection, i got over 800kb/s
>>>when using bt dun in XP, i got 160kb/s

With the experiment with xp, you've basically isolated the bt dun
problem to be in the pocketpc stack. So you should start posting on the
pocketpc forums to see where that problem is.

On the linux side, you could try out PAN if you have a way for the Q to
serve internet using pan. I am very interested to know if this works any
better.

Brad

* Re: [Bluez-devel] if using bluetooth DUN, how to get best performance?
@ 2007-02-21  2:30           ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-21  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

brad, unfortunately, I have gotten ZERO help on bluez lists about PAN,
never once eliciting even a reply:(

I have gotten my device to connect to pand on my desktop and say it's
on the "pan" now, but do not know anything else I can do beyond that.
You cannot seem to set the IP on the device itself.

not that it matters, but the actual name of the device is a
smartphone, as pocketpc software does not seem to work for this
device.  that being said, is it possible for a registry change to fix
the problem, or should i contact motorola and ask them if they "limit"
bandwidth in BTDUN?

@ 2007-02-21  5:34             ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2007-02-21  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

John

> brad, unfortunately, I have gotten ZERO help on bluez lists about PAN,
> never once eliciting even a reply:(
>
> I have gotten my device to connect to pand on my desktop and say it's
> on the "pan" now, but do not know anything else I can do beyond that.
> You cannot seem to set the IP on the device itself.

It sounds like you were using your desktop as the network access point
(nap), but I'm suggesting you try it the other way around, making the
phone perform the "nap" side of the connection. You could sort of follow
along with the nokia way and do the "770" steps on your laptop and the
"debian" equivalent steps on your q.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO-BluetoothNetworking

> not that it matters, but the actual name of the device is a
> smartphone, as pocketpc software does not seem to work for this
> device.  that being said, is it possible for a registry change to fix
> the problem, or should i contact motorola and ask them if they "limit"
> bandwidth in BTDUN?

I really believe this is a problem in the wince bluetooth stack, not an
intentional limit. Find a better forum to ask about the wince stack and
the motorola policy and you'll get a lively response.

Brad