* build dependencies
@ 2006-12-30 13:56 Henning Sprang
From: Henning Sprang @ 2006-12-30 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen devel list

Hi,
is there anywhere a complete and definitive list of build dependencies for xen?

I see that also in the 3.0.4 release, the dependencies mentioned in
the README file are incompltee at best, as in the previous releases:
no mentioning of the needed x11 dev libs in the README, no mentioning
that sdl devel libs is quite useful for desktop windows hvm usage, and
dev86 is needed to get the hvmloader. and that's only the things I
found out up until now - no idea what else is missing here.

What else is xen depeneding on, and which optional feature are
silently left out when not having the dependencies?

Henning

* Re: build dependencies
@ 2006-12-30 14:27 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2006-12-30 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Sprang, Xen devel list

On 30/12/06 1:56 pm, "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@gmx.de> wrote:

> What else is xen depeneding on, and which optional feature are
> silently left out when not having the dependencies?

I think the only things are SDL for SDL support in qemu-dm and dev86 for
hvmloader. The latter we will probably make a requirement for 3.0.5 (fail
the build if it is missing). There used to be some extra requirements for
pygrub but I think that's no longer the case.

 -- Keir

* Re: build dependencies
@ 2006-12-31  0:58   ` Henning Sprang
From: Henning Sprang @ 2006-12-31  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: Xen devel list

On 12/30/06, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> I think the only things are SDL for SDL support in qemu-dm and dev86 for
> hvmloader. The latter we will probably make a requirement for 3.0.5 (fail
> the build if it is missing). There used to be some extra requirements for
> pygrub but I think that's no longer the case.

O.K.

vncserver-dev comes to my mind - is it(still) needed to get the
graphicaql hvm console exported to the network?

Ah, and openssl. openssl0.9.8 (hmm, or .7?)  was also a runtime
depenceny of the binary packages that I saw nowhere written down.

Henning

* Re: build dependencies
@ 2006-12-31  9:15     ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2006-12-31  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Sprang; +Cc: Xen devel list

On 31/12/06 12:58 am, "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@gmx.de> wrote:

> vncserver-dev comes to my mind - is it(still) needed to get the
> graphicaql hvm console exported to the network?

Qemu-dm now has its own vnc server built in.

> Ah, and openssl. openssl0.9.8 (hmm, or .7?)  was also a runtime
> depenceny of the binary packages that I saw nowhere written down.

I'm not sure that the binary packages list all their dependencies right now.

 -- Keir

* RE: build dependencies
@ 2006-12-31 13:30       ` Ian Pratt
From: Ian Pratt @ 2006-12-31 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser, Henning Sprang; +Cc: Xen devel list

> On 31/12/06 12:58 am, "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > vncserver-dev comes to my mind - is it(still) needed to get the
> > graphicaql hvm console exported to the network?
>
> Qemu-dm now has its own vnc server built in.

Yes, though doesn't the PV frame buffer backend use libvncserver now
just to be perverse?

Removing the dependency and ideally merging with the bespoke vnc code in
qemu should be a priority.

Ian

> > Ah, and openssl. openssl0.9.8 (hmm, or .7?)  was also a runtime
> > depenceny of the binary packages that I saw nowhere written down.
>
> I'm not sure that the binary packages list all their dependencies
right
> now.
>
>  -- Keir

* question about blktap and blkbackend
@ 2007-05-12 13:29     ` tgh
From: tgh @ 2007-05-12 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen devel list

hi
  when blktap works,does blkbackend participate in the data transfer,or not?

Thanks in advance