* Interest in a patch to edit/view EFI Boot* variables
@ 2019-09-15 15:14 Sam van Kampen
From: Sam van Kampen @ 2019-09-15 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hey all,

To solve a problem I faced on my own system I've been working on a
patch that adds support for viewing and editing EFI Boot* variables
(BootOrder, BootNext, BootXXXX) from GRUB, and was wondering if there
was any interest in including the functionality upstream.

In its current form, the patch adds a new module (efibootvars.mod),
which adds the commands `bootnext`, `bootentries` and `bootorder`.

My plan is to send the patch for review once I've finished view and
edit functionality for `bootnext` and `bootorder`. `bootentries` can
currently only show BootXXXX variables - I might add support for
editing them in a subsequent patch, but they are a significantly more
complex data structure (EFI_LOAD_OPTION), hence editing is not
currently included.

Please let me know what you think,

Sam

* Re: Interest in a patch to edit/view EFI Boot* variables
@ 2019-09-30 10:16 ` Daniel Kiper
From: Daniel Kiper @ 2019-09-30 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam van Kampen via Grub-devel; +Cc: Sam van Kampen

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 05:14:02PM +0200, Sam van Kampen via Grub-devel wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> To solve a problem I faced on my own system I've been working on a
> patch that adds support for viewing and editing EFI Boot* variables
> (BootOrder, BootNext, BootXXXX) from GRUB, and was wondering if there
> was any interest in including the functionality upstream.
>
> In its current form, the patch adds a new module (efibootvars.mod),
> which adds the commands `bootnext`, `bootentries` and `bootorder`.
>
> My plan is to send the patch for review once I've finished view and
> edit functionality for `bootnext` and `bootorder`. `bootentries` can
> currently only show BootXXXX variables - I might add support for
> editing them in a subsequent patch, but they are a significantly more
> complex data structure (EFI_LOAD_OPTION), hence editing is not
> currently included.
>
> Please let me know what you think,

Makes sense for me. So, please post it. Though I would consider
disabling that functionality if UEFI secure boot is enabled. Please
take a look at grub-core/commands/efi/shim_lock.c for more details.

Daniel

* Re: Interest in a patch to edit/view EFI Boot* variables
@ 2019-09-30 10:43   ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2019-09-30 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2