* Some questions about Outreachy
@ 2020-03-09 19:54 Lourdes Pedrajas
From: Lourdes Pedrajas @ 2020-03-09 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

I have some questions that are still unclear to me:

In wiki it said that one have to make 10 patches and 2 patchsets. Is it
10 patches plus 2 patchsets, or 10 patches 2 of them are patchsets?

Linux kernel is accepting 2 interns. Is 2 interns for all sub-projects or
2 interns in every kernel sub-project?

Thank you,
Lourdes.

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Some questions about Outreachy
@ 2020-03-09 20:33 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2020-03-09 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lourdes Pedrajas; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Lourdes Pedrajas wrote:

> I have some questions that are still unclear to me:
>
> In wiki it said that one have to make 10 patches and 2 patchsets. Is it
> 10 patches plus 2 patchsets, or 10 patches 2 of them are patchsets?

Since this is your first time applying, I think that 10 patches plus 2
series would be better.  But it depends on what you are doing.  Some
changes naturally lend themselves to a series.

In any case, the goal is to be able to send patches that conform to the
kernel coding style and are likely to be accepted.  Try to work in that
direction and don't worry too much about the nunbers.

> Linux kernel is accepting 2 interns. Is 2 interns for all sub-projects or
> 2 interns in every kernel sub-project?

Normally there is one intern per project.  I don't know about the number
of projects.

julia

@ 2020-03-10  7:26 ` Vaishali Thakkar
From: Vaishali Thakkar @ 2020-03-10  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lourdes Pedrajas; +Cc: Outreachy

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:24 AM Lourdes Pedrajas <lu@pplo.net> wrote:

> I have some questions that are still unclear to me:
>
> In wiki it said that one have to make 10 patches and 2 patchsets. Is it
> 10 patches plus 2 patchsets, or 10 patches 2 of them are patchsets?
>
> Linux kernel is accepting 2 interns. Is 2 interns for all sub-projects or
> 2 interns in every kernel sub-project?

We'll be accepting 5 interns for 5 projects listed on Outreachy's
website. I don't know why it is showing 2 interns on applicants' side.
Since Outreachy's website is usually under heavy development, it
seems that some features affect how information is shown to different
kind of users.

Can you please send me a screenshot of where it is showing that
we're offering 2 interns? I can then check if I need to update any
information from my side.

Thank you!

@ 2020-03-10 12:06   ` Lourdes Pedrajas
From: Lourdes Pedrajas @ 2020-03-10 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 09:33:22PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Lourdes Pedrajas wrote:
>
> > I have some questions that are still unclear to me:
> >
> > In wiki it said that one have to make 10 patches and 2 patchsets. Is it
> > 10 patches plus 2 patchsets, or 10 patches 2 of them are patchsets?
>
> Since this is your first time applying, I think that 10 patches plus 2
> series would be better.  But it depends on what you are doing.  Some
> changes naturally lend themselves to a series.
>
> In any case, the goal is to be able to send patches that conform to the
> kernel coding style and are likely to be accepted.  Try to work in that
> direction and don't worry too much about the nunbers.

Indeed.

> > Linux kernel is accepting 2 interns. Is 2 interns for all sub-projects or
> > 2 interns in every kernel sub-project?
>
> Normally there is one intern per project.  I don't know about the number
> of projects.
>
> julia

Understood, thank you!

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Some questions about Outreachy
@ 2020-03-10 12:22   ` pplo
From: pplo @ 2020-03-10 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 8:27:08 AM UTC+1, Vaishali Thakkar wrote:

[image: outreachy.png]

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:24 AM Lourdes Pedrajas <l...@pplo.net
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> > I have some questions that are still unclear to me:
> >
> > In wiki it said that one have to make 10 patches and 2 patchsets. Is it
> > 10 patches plus 2 patchsets, or 10 patches 2 of them are patchsets?
> >
> > Linux kernel is accepting 2 interns. Is 2 interns for all sub-projects
> or
> > 2 interns in every kernel sub-project?
>
> We'll be accepting 5 interns for 5 projects listed on Outreachy's
> website. I don't know why it is showing 2 interns on applicants' side.
> Since Outreachy's website is usually under heavy development, it
> seems that some features affect how information is shown to different
> kind of users.
>
> Can you please send me a screenshot of where it is showing that
> we're offering 2 interns? I can then check if I need to update any
> information from my side.
>
> Thank you!
>
> > Thank you,
> > Lourdes.
> >
> I've attached a screenshot, it's marked in red. Hope it helps you!

[-- Attachment #2: outreachy.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 114312 bytes --]

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Some questions about Outreachy
@ 2020-03-10 12:30     ` Vaishali Thakkar
From: Vaishali Thakkar @ 2020-03-10 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pplo; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 5:53 PM pplo <lu@pplo.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 8:27:08 AM UTC+1, Vaishali Thakkar wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:24 AM Lourdes Pedrajas <l...@pplo.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have some questions that are still unclear to me:
>> >
>> > In wiki it said that one have to make 10 patches and 2 patchsets. Is it
>> > 10 patches plus 2 patchsets, or 10 patches 2 of them are patchsets?
>> >
>> > Linux kernel is accepting 2 interns. Is 2 interns for all sub-projects or
>> > 2 interns in every kernel sub-project?
>>
>> We'll be accepting 5 interns for 5 projects listed on Outreachy's
>> website. I don't know why it is showing 2 interns on applicants' side.
>> Since Outreachy's website is usually under heavy development, it
>> seems that some features affect how information is shown to different
>> kind of users.
>>
>> Can you please send me a screenshot of where it is showing that
>> we're offering 2 interns? I can then check if I need to update any
>> information from my side.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> > Thank you,
>> > Lourdes.
>> >
>> I've attached a screenshot, it's marked in red. Hope it helps you!

Ok, Thanks I've changed some information on the website. It
should say 5 interns now.

P.S. Also, just as a note, please make sure that you use
reply-all when replying to specific points so that people
who asked questions or commented in the first place
don't miss it. :)