* vesafb BIOS interface
@ 2009-10-23  2:49 Woon Liang Soh
From: Woon Liang Soh @ 2009-10-23  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fbdev-devel

Is there any way in either user-space or kernel-space to make calls to the
VBIOS to get it to call the INT routines?

TIA,
Terence.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference

* Re: vesafb BIOS interface
@ 2009-10-24 13:37 ` Krzysztof Helt
From: Krzysztof Helt @ 2009-10-24 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woon Liang Soh; +Cc: linux-fbdev-devel

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:49:51 +0800
Woon Liang Soh <woonliang.soh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any way in either user-space or kernel-space to make calls to the
> VBIOS to get it to call the INT routines?

No. The closest thing is uvesa fb driver as it just does calls to the VESA bios through
user-space daemon (if I understand how it works).

Regards,
Krzysztof

Afera Hazardowa- O co tu chodzi?
Sprawdz >>> http://link.interia.pl/f238e

@ 2009-10-28 17:22   ` Michal Januszewski
From: Michal Januszewski @ 2009-10-28 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Helt; +Cc: linux-fbdev-devel, Woon Liang Soh

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 14:37, Krzysztof Helt <krzysztof.h1@poczta.fm> wrote:

>> Is there any way in either user-space or kernel-space to make calls to the
>> VBIOS to get it to call the INT routines?
>
> No. The closest thing is uvesa fb driver as it just does calls to the VESA bios through
> user-space daemon (if I understand how it works).

That's correct.  You will probably be interested in the v86d code
(i.e. the userspace daemon mentioned above), which does all the heavy
lifting re VBIOS calls.  Have a look at testvbe.c from the v86d
tarball which demonstrates how to use the v86d code to call the VBIOS
to get some info about the graphics adapter and supported video modes.

--
Michal Januszewski, Gentoo Linux Developer
http://people.gentoo.org/spock

http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference