* vgabios with voodoo3 suppirt for Bochs
@ 2021-08-28 18:44 Andrew Randrianasulu
From: Andrew Randrianasulu @ 2021-08-28 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU

Hello and sorry for possible interruption.

I was browsing various projects and found Bochs 2.7 was released on August,
1 2021 [0] together with vgabios 0.8a

http://www.nongnu.org/vgabios/

"2021-06-03 vruppert Version 0.8a of the LGPL'd VGABios with Voodoo Banshee
for Bochs and Cirrus support for Bochs and Qemu is available now. This
version will be included in the next Bochs release."

not really usable in qemu directly (at least voodoo3 part?) but might be
interesting for someone looking into gpu suppirt in qemu - supported or
future vga cards...

[0] https://svn.code.sf.net/p/bochs/code/tags/REL_2_7_FINAL/bochs/CHANGES

* Re: vgabios with voodoo3 suppirt for Bochs
@ 2021-08-28 21:20 ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2021-08-28 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Randrianasulu; +Cc: QEMU

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
> Hello and sorry for possible interruption.
>
> I was browsing various projects and found Bochs 2.7 was released on August,
> 1 2021 [0] together with vgabios 0.8a
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/vgabios/
>
> "2021-06-03 vruppert Version 0.8a of the LGPL'd VGABios with Voodoo Banshee
> for Bochs and Cirrus support for Bochs and Qemu is available now. This
> version will be included in the next Bochs release."
>
> not really usable in qemu directly (at least voodoo3 part?) but might be
> interesting for someone looking into gpu suppirt in qemu - supported or
> future vga cards...

It can be used and I've found it can be useful with some old board
firmwares (such as sam460ex and pegasos2) that cannot run QEMU's vgabios.
See here for more explanation:

https://osdn.net/projects/qmiga/wiki/SubprojectPegasos2#h3-Known.20issues

It's not really needed to boot OSes as you can also get output from
firmware via serial but if you want to get output like on real hardware
this real mode VGA BIOS could be used as a work around.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan