* Quantum-Resistant Cryptographic Algorithms
@ 2022-10-31 14:09 doffloster
From: doffloster @ 2022-10-31 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cryptsetup development

Soon in LUKS / cryptsetup?

"NIST Announces First Four Quantum-Resistant Cryptographic Algorithms"
at
www.nist.gov

Best regards,
David.

* Re: Quantum-Resistant Cryptographic Algorithms
@ 2022-10-31 14:30 ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2022-10-31 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cryptsetup

On 31 Oct 2022 16:09 +0200, from doffloster@gmail.com:
> Soon in LUKS / cryptsetup?
>
> "NIST Announces First Four Quantum-Resistant Cryptographic Algorithms"

If you are referring to those listed at [1], they are public key
algorithms. LUKS' use case does not depend on that and to my knowledge
LUKS currently does not implement any public key cryptography, so it
is my belief that they would not immediately apply.

Last I looked, symmetric key encryption was affected by quantum
computing at most by the square root key search work factor reduction
offered by Grover's algorithm, which can be mitigated by selecting a
twice as long key. Hence AES-256 would offer similar security against
a quantum capable adversary that AES-128 offers against a classic-only
adversary.

[1] https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/post-quantum-cryptography/selected-algorithms-2022

--
🪶 Michael Kjörling                  🏡 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”