* [GIT PULL] arm64: zynqmp: Xilinx SoC changes for v4.20
@ 2018-09-07  7:57 Michal Simek
From: Michal Simek @ 2018-09-07  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

please pull the following firmware interface to your tree.

Thanks,
Michal

The following changes since commit 5b394b2ddf0347bef56e50c69a58773c94343ff3:

  Linux 4.19-rc1 (2018-08-26 14:11:59 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git tags/zynqmp-soc-for-v4.20

for you to fetch changes up to bca7067d2d4e91f58162b07d73cd94e20437b4f6:

  firmware: xilinx: Add debugfs for query data API (2018-09-07 09:44:44
+0200)

arm64: zynqmp: SoC changes for v4.20

- Adding firmware API for SoC with debugfs interface

Rajan Vaja (8):
      dt-bindings: firmware: Add bindings for ZynqMP firmware
      firmware: xilinx: Add Zynqmp firmware driver
      firmware: xilinx: Add zynqmp IOCTL API for device control
      firmware: xilinx: Add query data API
      firmware: xilinx: Add clock APIs
      firmware: xilinx: Add debugfs interface
      firmware: xilinx: Add debugfs for IOCTL API
      firmware: xilinx: Add debugfs for query data API

 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/firmware/xilinx/xlnx,zynqmp-firmware.txt |  29 +++++++
 arch/arm64/Kconfig.platforms
   |   1 +
 drivers/firmware/Kconfig
   |   1 +
 drivers/firmware/Makefile
   |   1 +
 drivers/firmware/xilinx/Kconfig
   |  23 ++++++
 drivers/firmware/xilinx/Makefile
   |   5 ++
 drivers/firmware/xilinx/zynqmp-debug.c
   | 249 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/firmware/xilinx/zynqmp-debug.h
   |  22 ++++++
 drivers/firmware/xilinx/zynqmp.c
   | 562
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/linux/firmware/xlnx-zynqmp.h
   | 115 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 10 files changed, 1008 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/firmware/xilinx/xlnx,zynqmp-firmware.txt
 create mode 100644 drivers/firmware/xilinx/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 drivers/firmware/xilinx/Makefile
 create mode 100644 drivers/firmware/xilinx/zynqmp-debug.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/firmware/xilinx/zynqmp-debug.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/firmware/xilinx/zynqmp.c
 create mode 100644 include/linux/firmware/xlnx-zynqmp.h

* [GIT PULL] arm64: zynqmp: Xilinx SoC changes for v4.20
@ 2018-09-09  1:21 ` Olof Johansson
From: Olof Johansson @ 2018-09-09  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Michal,

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Michal Simek <michal.simek@xilinx.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please pull the following firmware interface to your tree.
>
> Thanks,
> Michal
>

> The following changes since commit 5b394b2ddf0347bef56e50c69a58773c94343ff3:
>
>   Linux 4.19-rc1 (2018-08-26 14:11:59 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git tags/zynqmp-soc-for-v4.20
>
> for you to fetch changes up to bca7067d2d4e91f58162b07d73cd94e20437b4f6:
>
>   firmware: xilinx: Add debugfs for query data API (2018-09-07 09:44:44
> +0200)

> arm64: zynqmp: SoC changes for v4.20
>
> - Adding firmware API for SoC with debugfs interface

This is a bit terse. Jolly has been good at writing cover letters, you
could have stolen the writeup from there. :)

I posted two comments on the patches -- one is a nit that can be
followed up on with an incremental patch.

I'm more worried about the ioctl interface though, and what it opens
up. Maybe it's been discussed in the time the set has been reviewed, I
didn't search extensively for the history. If it had been, bringing
explanations into the patch description would have been nice for new
readers such as myself. And if it hasn't, well, let's talk about it.

Not merging based on the above. Hopefully it's something we can
straighten out pretty quickly.

-Olof

* [GIT PULL] arm64: zynqmp: Xilinx SoC changes for v4.20
@ 2018-09-10 12:20   ` Michal Simek
From: Michal Simek @ 2018-09-10 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 9.9.2018 03:21, Olof Johansson wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Michal Simek <michal.simek@xilinx.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> please pull the following firmware interface to your tree.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michal
>>

>> The following changes since commit 5b394b2ddf0347bef56e50c69a58773c94343ff3:
>>
>>   Linux 4.19-rc1 (2018-08-26 14:11:59 -0700)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>   https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git tags/zynqmp-soc-for-v4.20
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to bca7067d2d4e91f58162b07d73cd94e20437b4f6:
>>
>>   firmware: xilinx: Add debugfs for query data API (2018-09-07 09:44:44
>> +0200)

>> arm64: zynqmp: SoC changes for v4.20
>>
>> - Adding firmware API for SoC with debugfs interface
>
> This is a bit terse. Jolly has been good at writing cover letters, you
> could have stolen the writeup from there. :)

Isn't it one line which is ending up in summary log?

> I posted two comments on the patches -- one is a nit that can be
> followed up on with an incremental patch.
>
> I'm more worried about the ioctl interface though, and what it opens
> up. Maybe it's been discussed in the time the set has been reviewed, I
> didn't search extensively for the history. If it had been, bringing
> explanations into the patch description would have been nice for new
> readers such as myself. And if it hasn't, well, let's talk about it.

Anyway here is the full spec.
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug1200-eemi-api.pdf

I don't know all the details that's why please (Jolly) correct me if I
am wrong.
PMUFW which is microblaze running firmware was providing read/write
interface which was checking ranges for accesses. One of that
functionality was for example clock/pin muxing and others. This was done
before any SCMI spec was created because Xilinx needs to deal with
problems how to handle these interfaces.
At that time non secure OS(linux) was owner of all these subsystems.
Over the time it was clear that non secure SW shouldn't have such a big
control over SoC because on this heterogeneous chip it is not covering
all possible use cases.
Based on this new EEMI spec was created to move a lot of functionality
from non secure sw with also improve security of the system. IIRC at
that time SCMI wasn't released that's why we were lacking any standard
interface which we could use directly.

We are also communicating with Arm about SCMI extension but still there
are missing gaps which are not addressed and it will take a lot of time
to have everything there.

I can copy here Jolly's description but these patches are adding
communication layer/interface which provide API for clock, reset, pin
control, secure, serdes, fpga and chip detection to communicate with
PMUFW via ATF by using SMC instructions and then communication interface
setup between A53 and Microblaze.

Arm trusted firmware already contains this interface
https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware/tree/master/plat/xilinx/zynqmp/pm_service

The v11 contained 11 patches and I have taken first 8 because clock part
is not reviewed by Stephen yet.
Other drivers (fpga, phy/serdes, reset) are sent as RFCs but needs this
firmware interface to have basic stuff up and running before extension.

> Not merging based on the above. Hopefully it's something we can
> straighten out pretty quickly.

Please ask more question if something is unclear and I believe that
Jolly is happy to answer them as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
Michal

* [GIT PULL] arm64: zynqmp: Xilinx SoC changes for v4.20
@ 2018-09-10 20:39   ` Jolly Shah
From: Jolly Shah @ 2018-09-10 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Olof,

Posted incremental patch set to address your review comments. Also included a commit from v11 which was missed in above pull request.

> I'm more worried about the ioctl interface though, and what it opens up. Maybe
> it's been discussed in the time the set has been reviewed, I didn't search
> extensively for the history. If it had been, bringing explanations into the patch
> description would have been nice for new readers such as myself. And if it
> hasn't, well, let's talk about it.

Responded to your queries in another thread. Will be happy to answer any further questions you have.

Thanks,
Jolly Shah

@ 2018-09-11 15:32     ` Olof Johansson
From: Olof Johansson @ 2018-09-11 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 5:20 AM, Michal Simek <michal.simek@xilinx.com> wrote:
> On 9.9.2018 03:21, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Michal Simek <michal.simek@xilinx.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> please pull the following firmware interface to your tree.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michal
>>>

>>> The following changes since commit 5b394b2ddf0347bef56e50c69a58773c94343ff3:
>>>
>>>   Linux 4.19-rc1 (2018-08-26 14:11:59 -0700)
>>>
>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>
>>>   https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git tags/zynqmp-soc-for-v4.20
>>>
>>> for you to fetch changes up to bca7067d2d4e91f58162b07d73cd94e20437b4f6:
>>>
>>>   firmware: xilinx: Add debugfs for query data API (2018-09-07 09:44:44
>>> +0200)

>>> arm64: zynqmp: SoC changes for v4.20
>>>
>>> - Adding firmware API for SoC with debugfs interface
>>
>> This is a bit terse. Jolly has been good at writing cover letters, you
>> could have stolen the writeup from there. :)
>
> Isn't it one line which is ending up in summary log?

If you do a 'git shortlog' you get the subject of your tag (arm64:
zynqmp: SoC changes for v4.20), but if someone looks at the git logs,
the merge commit will normally just have the tag description it in.

It's quite useful to capture some of the cover letter-type material
from the patch series in there. For example, the URL to the spec could
be a good thing to have either in there, or in one of the patch
descriptions.

Just as with patches, it's useful to provide a brief writeup of what a
series does and why it should be merged.

>> I posted two comments on the patches -- one is a nit that can be
>> followed up on with an incremental patch.
>>
>> I'm more worried about the ioctl interface though, and what it opens
>> up. Maybe it's been discussed in the time the set has been reviewed, I
>> didn't search extensively for the history. If it had been, bringing
>> explanations into the patch description would have been nice for new
>> readers such as myself. And if it hasn't, well, let's talk about it.
>
> Anyway here is the full spec.
> https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug1200-eemi-api.pdf
>
> I don't know all the details that's why please (Jolly) correct me if I
> am wrong.
> PMUFW which is microblaze running firmware was providing read/write
> interface which was checking ranges for accesses. One of that
> functionality was for example clock/pin muxing and others. This was done
> before any SCMI spec was created because Xilinx needs to deal with
> problems how to handle these interfaces.
> At that time non secure OS(linux) was owner of all these subsystems.
> Over the time it was clear that non secure SW shouldn't have such a big
> control over SoC because on this heterogeneous chip it is not covering
> all possible use cases.
> Based on this new EEMI spec was created to move a lot of functionality
> from non secure sw with also improve security of the system. IIRC at
> that time SCMI wasn't released that's why we were lacking any standard
> interface which we could use directly.
>
> We are also communicating with Arm about SCMI extension but still there
> are missing gaps which are not addressed and it will take a lot of time
> to have everything there.

... and there will be platforms out there that, even when the SCMI
spec settles won't have that implemented in their firmware. So, I have
no objections to the patch set as a whole beyond the ioctl portions.

> I can copy here Jolly's description but these patches are adding
> communication layer/interface which provide API for clock, reset, pin
> control, secure, serdes, fpga and chip detection to communicate with
> PMUFW via ATF by using SMC instructions and then communication interface
> setup between A53 and Microblaze.
>
> Arm trusted firmware already contains this interface
> https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware/tree/master/plat/xilinx/zynqmp/pm_service
>
> The v11 contained 11 patches and I have taken first 8 because clock part
> is not reviewed by Stephen yet.
> Other drivers (fpga, phy/serdes, reset) are sent as RFCs but needs this
> firmware interface to have basic stuff up and running before extension.
>

>> Not merging based on the above. Hopefully it's something we can
>> straighten out pretty quickly.
>
> Please ask more question if something is unclear and I believe that
> Jolly is happy to answer them as quickly as possible.

Yep, it makes sense to continue the discussion on the other threads
where Jolly responded. Thanks!

-Olof

* [GIT PULL] arm64: zynqmp: Xilinx SoC changes for v4.20
@ 2018-09-12  7:32       ` Michal Simek
From: Michal Simek @ 2018-09-12  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 11.9.2018 17:32, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 5:20 AM, Michal Simek <michal.simek@xilinx.com> wrote:
>> On 9.9.2018 03:21, Olof Johansson wrote:
>>> Hi Michal,

>>> This is a bit terse. Jolly has been good at writing cover letters, you
>>> could have stolen the writeup from there. :)
>>
>> Isn't it one line which is ending up in summary log?
>
> If you do a 'git shortlog' you get the subject of your tag (arm64:
> zynqmp: SoC changes for v4.20), but if someone looks at the git logs,
> the merge commit will normally just have the tag description it in.
>
> It's quite useful to capture some of the cover letter-type material
> from the patch series in there. For example, the URL to the spec could
> be a good thing to have either in there, or in one of the patch
> descriptions.
>
> Just as with patches, it's useful to provide a brief writeup of what a
> series does and why it should be merged.

Ok. I will it in my mind.

>>> I posted two comments on the patches -- one is a nit that can be
>>> followed up on with an incremental patch.
>>>
>>> I'm more worried about the ioctl interface though, and what it opens
>>> up. Maybe it's been discussed in the time the set has been reviewed, I
>>> didn't search extensively for the history. If it had been, bringing
>>> explanations into the patch description would have been nice for new
>>> readers such as myself. And if it hasn't, well, let's talk about it.
>>
>> Anyway here is the full spec.
>> https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug1200-eemi-api.pdf
>>
>> I don't know all the details that's why please (Jolly) correct me if I
>> am wrong.
>> PMUFW which is microblaze running firmware was providing read/write
>> interface which was checking ranges for accesses. One of that
>> functionality was for example clock/pin muxing and others. This was done
>> before any SCMI spec was created because Xilinx needs to deal with
>> problems how to handle these interfaces.
>> At that time non secure OS(linux) was owner of all these subsystems.
>> Over the time it was clear that non secure SW shouldn't have such a big
>> control over SoC because on this heterogeneous chip it is not covering
>> all possible use cases.
>> Based on this new EEMI spec was created to move a lot of functionality
>> from non secure sw with also improve security of the system. IIRC at
>> that time SCMI wasn't released that's why we were lacking any standard
>> interface which we could use directly.
>>
>> We are also communicating with Arm about SCMI extension but still there
>> are missing gaps which are not addressed and it will take a lot of time
>> to have everything there.
>
> ... and there will be platforms out there that, even when the SCMI
> spec settles won't have that implemented in their firmware. So, I have
> no objections to the patch set as a whole beyond the ioctl portions.
>
>> I can copy here Jolly's description but these patches are adding
>> communication layer/interface which provide API for clock, reset, pin
>> control, secure, serdes, fpga and chip detection to communicate with
>> PMUFW via ATF by using SMC instructions and then communication interface
>> setup between A53 and Microblaze.
>>
>> Arm trusted firmware already contains this interface
>> https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware/tree/master/plat/xilinx/zynqmp/pm_service
>>
>> The v11 contained 11 patches and I have taken first 8 because clock part
>> is not reviewed by Stephen yet.
>> Other drivers (fpga, phy/serdes, reset) are sent as RFCs but needs this
>> firmware interface to have basic stuff up and running before extension.
>>

>>> Not merging based on the above. Hopefully it's something we can
>>> straighten out pretty quickly.
>>
>> Please ask more question if something is unclear and I believe that
>> Jolly is happy to answer them as quickly as possible.
>
> Yep, it makes sense to continue the discussion on the other threads
> where Jolly responded. Thanks!

Wonderful.

Thanks,
Michal