* Backup drive DOA?
@ 2022-01-23 12:19 Wols Lists
From: Wols Lists @ 2022-01-23 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Seeing as I guess most people here have plenty of experience with dead
drives ...

My 8TB N300 arrived a couple of days ago. I've just tried to add it into
my system, and ...

When I powered up the system I heard a "clackety clackety clack" noise.
The system hung on boot, didn't get as far as grub.
I could hear a steady repeated "boom chacka boom chacka ..." coming from
the new drive.

I'm guessing the drive is dead and it's an RMA? I've never heard sounds
like that from a drive before ...

Cheers,
Wol

* Re: Backup drive DOA?
@ 2022-01-23 12:27 ` Rudy Zijlstra
From: Rudy Zijlstra @ 2022-01-23 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wols Lists, linux-raid

On 23-01-2022 13:19, Wols Lists wrote:

> I'm guessing the drive is dead and it's an RMA? I've never heard
> sounds like that from a drive before ...

RMA, just sent it back

* Re: Backup drive DOA?
@ 2022-01-23 17:26 ` Jani Partanen
From: Jani Partanen @ 2022-01-23 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wols Lists, linux-raid

I had 6TB X300 what worked fine about half year. Then it started to do
clicking sound sometimes, until one evening I came home and and was
clicking constantly. Stopped after reboot. But smart data was showing
over 1000 g-shock errors, I think drive does detect every click as shock
with that g-sensor, so I returned it to shop where I bough it.
So kinda bad experience of Toshiba drive to me. Reminded me of all
issues I had with Hitachi 75GXP drives. I did RMA like 3 of them in row
until I got enough and switched to WD.
I do not know if Toshiba 300 series drives are generally bad but by
googling around, seems like quite many had same issues with that drive.