* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-03-30 19:56 Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2009-03-30 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,
I would like to eneble DCache in U-Boot, because peripheral register R/W and
SDRAM R/W is extremely slow on my platform, so booting Linux image takes
unexceptable long time. But apparently for ARM, MMU setup is needed first.
Now, I did not find example on any presented ARM platforms included in
U-Boot.

Did somebody maybe suceeded on doing this and where can I find some C/ASM
examples how to set up MMU and enable DCache for ARM?

Best regards,
Drasko

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-03-30 20:31 ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2009-03-30 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 21:56 Mon 30 Mar     , Drasko DRASKOVIC wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to eneble DCache in U-Boot, because peripheral register R/W and
> SDRAM R/W is extremely slow on my platform, so booting Linux image takes
> unexceptable long time. But apparently for ARM, MMU setup is needed first.
> Now, I did not find example on any presented ARM platforms included in
> U-Boot.
>
> Did somebody maybe suceeded on doing this and where can I find some C/ASM
> examples how to set up MMU and enable DCache for ARM?
before booting linux you must disable the cache which will be re-enable by
linux.

Could you give us more details about your soc, u-boot verison and linux
version

Best Regards,
J.

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-03-31 12:20   ` Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2009-03-31 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

>On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
>before booting linux you must disable the cache which will be re-enable by
>linux.
OK. Is that done in bootm.c? I can see lines :
/*
     * We have reached the point of no return: we are going to
     * overwrite all exception vector code, so we cannot easily
     * recover from any failures any more...
     */

    iflag = disable_interrupts();

#ifdef CONFIG_AMIGAONEG3SE
    /*
     * We've possible left the caches enabled during
     * bios emulation, so turn them off again
     */
    icache_disable();
    invalidate_l1_instruction_cache();
    flush_data_cache();
    dcache_disable();
#endif

Looks like only interrupts are disabled, and caches only in the case of
AMIGAONE (whatever that might be). There are no other calls to cache_disable
functions. I already use ICache, and cmd_bootm.c like presented (thus no
call to icache_disable() here), and it works. Only that copying image from
Flash is slow, so I want to speed it up with enablilng DCache.

>Could you give us more details about your soc, u-boot verison and linux
>version
u-boot-1.1.6, linux version is linux-2.6.25.10, although that is not
important because I have no problem with this but with slow access to Flash
and SDRAM, as I said before. Core is ARM926.

As I understand, these things have to be set up in the order to enable
DCache :

   1. Page tables
   2. The Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB)
   3. Domains and access permission
   4. Caches and write buffer
   5. The CP15:c1 control register
   6. The Fast Context Switch Extension

Now, that seems like a lot of work to be done, and reading manual is not
extremely helpful, so I was wondering if somebody already done similar thing
in U-Boot, for ARM9 platform, so I could reuse some work or examine examples
to figure out how this is done.

Best regards,
Drasko

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-03-31 12:21     ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2009-03-31 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 14:20 Tue 31 Mar     , Drasko DRASKOVIC wrote:
>    >On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
>    >before booting linux you must disable the cache which will be re-enable
>    by
>    >linux.
>    OK. Is that done in bootm.c? I can see lines :
>    /*
>         * We have reached the point of no return: we are going to
>         * overwrite all exception vector code, so we cannot easily
>         * recover from any failures any more...
>         */
>
>        iflag = disable_interrupts();
>
>    #ifdef CONFIG_AMIGAONEG3SE
>        /*
>         * We've possible left the caches enabled during
>         * bios emulation, so turn them off again
>         */
>        icache_disable();
>        invalidate_l1_instruction_
>    cache();
>        flush_data_cache();
>        dcache_disable();
>    #endif
AMIGAONE is a PPC

please take a look on this file
 lib_arm/bootm.c
 and specialy on the  cleanup_before_linux (); soc implementation

>    >Could you give us more details about your soc, u-boot verison and linux
>    >version
>    u-boot-1.1.6, linux version is linux-2.6.25.10, although that is not
>    important because I have no problem with this but with slow access to
>    Flash and SDRAM, as I said before. Core is ARM926.
U-Boot 1.1.6 is quite old (more than 2 years old) please try to the current version
is your SOC in the Mainline?
if you can tell us which one it's and if it is mainline in U-Boot or Linux?
we could take a look on the code

>    As I understand, these things have to be set up in the order to enable
>    DCache :
>     1. Page tables
>     2. The Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB)
>     3. Domains and access permission
>     4. Caches and write buffer
>     5. The CP15:c1 control register
>     6. The Fast Context Switch Extension
>    Now, that seems like a lot of work to be done, and reading manual is not
>    extremely helpful, so I was wondering if somebody already done similar
>    thing in U-Boot, for ARM9 platform, so I could reuse some work or examine
>    examples to figure out how this is done.
in linux yes in u-boot some arch do it but not the arm9
IMHO your boot problem is more in linux than in U-Boot but until we can take a
look on the code it will be hard to known

Best Regards,
J.

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-03-31 13:36       ` Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2009-03-31 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
>U-Boot 1.1.6 is quite old (more than 2 years old) please try to the current
version
I know, but that's the one we use... For now, everything works fine.

>is your SOC in the Mainline?
>if you can tell us which one it's and if it is mainline in U-Boot or Linux?
>we could take a look on the code
Nope, actually it is a custom chip based on ARM9. Most of other things are
proprietery.

>in linux yes in u-boot some arch do it but not the arm9
In Linux for sure, but we have MMU setup in Linux, and it is beyond my
knowledge. I am concentrated on as-simple-as-can-be DCache switch on, to
speed up operations of copying Linux image PRIOR to kernel boot.

>IMHO your boot problem is more in linux than in U-Boot
To be clear - I am experiencing long delay in reading peripheral regs. I am
reading some registers in a loop, so it takes long time for each access.
After that I also noticed that giving a value to any variable takes long
time, so it makes me suspect that SDRAM access is very slow. For example,
calling get_timer(0) takes the time of over 1000 cycles!

So, quite independantly of Linux, I want to speed up Flash and SDRAM R/W, as
well as R/W of peripherals regs in the loop by introducing DCache. Then I
saw that for ARM9 to enable DCache one must setup and enable MMU also, and
it becomes mess, because I can find any examples in U-Boot and it seem
pretty complex to me.

To underline, my intention of enabling DCache in U-Boot has nothing to do
with Linux, because I will switch off caches anyway before boot. I just want
to use DCache while read and write operations prior to calling kernel boot.

>but until we can take a look on the code it will be hard to known
Which code would help? I do not have anything yet regarding the setup. I do
not know where to start. For the time, I am examining CP15 coprocessor
manipulations in cpu/arm926, which enables/disables cache (even function
that you mentioned, cleanup_before_linux() is defined here).
In cpu/arm920t/cpu.c i found these lines, for example :

#ifdef USE_920T_MMU
/* It makes no sense to use the dcache if the MMU is not enabled */
void dcache_enable (void)
{
    ulong reg;

    reg = read_p15_c1 ();
    cp_delay ();
    write_p15_c1 (reg | C1_DC);
}

I tried calling function dcache_enable () when I enter my driver which does
extensive R/W on peripheral regs (and on SDRAM), but off course - it does
not work. Even comment says so :). In ARM manual I found:

CP15
C bit   M bit
0        0              DCache disabled. All data accesses are to the
external memory.

1        0              DCache enabled, MMU disabled. The C bit is overriden
by the M bit
                         setting, which means that the DCache is effectively
disabled. All
                         data accesses are noncachable, nonbufferable, with
no protection
                         checks. All addresses are flat mapped, that is VA =
MVA = PA.

1        1              DCache enabled, MMU enabled. All data accesses are
cachable or
                         noncachable depending on the page descriptor C bit
and B bit (see
                         Table 4-4), and protection checks are performed.
All addresses are
                         remapped from VA to PA, depending on the MMU page
table entry,
                         that is the VA is translated to an MVA, and the MVA
is remapped to
                         a PA.

So, started digging with a hope that somebody alredy implemented this in
U-Boot, so I can copy/paste code in my cpu set-up, or, better yet, call a
set of C functions (similar to dcache_enable), to set-up MMU, and in the end
just call dcache_enable() to do the magic of enabling DCache.

Best regards,
Drasko

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-03-31 14:09         ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2009-03-31 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 15:36 Tue 31 Mar     , Drasko DRASKOVIC wrote:
>    On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
>    >U-Boot 1.1.6 is quite old (more than 2 years old) please try to the
>    current version
>    I know, but that's the one we use... For now, everything works fine.
Honnestly we will not work on such old code. so please really consider to
rebase it against mainline

>    >is your SOC in the Mainline?
>    >if you can tell us which one it's and if it is mainline in U-Boot or
>    Linux?
>    >we could take a look on the code
>    Nope, actually it is a custom chip based on ARM9. Most of other things are
>    proprietery.
>
>    >in linux yes in u-boot some arch do it but not the arm9
>    In Linux for sure, but we have MMU setup in Linux, and it is beyond my
>    knowledge. I am concentrated on as-simple-as-can-be DCache switch on, to
>    speed up operations of copying Linux image PRIOR to kernel boot.
first you may start to think to run in XIP to avoid the copy too

>    >IMHO your boot problem is more in linux than in U-Boot
>    To be clear - I am experiencing long delay in reading peripheral regs. I
>    am reading some registers in a loop, so it takes long time for each
>    access.
>    After that I also noticed that giving a value to any variable takes long
>    time, so it makes me suspect that SDRAM access is very slow. For example,
>    calling get_timer(0) takes the time of over 1000 cycles!
>
>    So, quite independantly of Linux, I want to speed up Flash and SDRAM R/W,
>    as well as R/W of peripherals regs in the loop by introducing DCache. Then
>    I saw that for ARM9 to enable DCache one must setup and enable MMU also,
>    and it becomes mess, because I can find any examples in U-Boot and it seem
>    pretty complex to me.
>
>    To underline, my intention of enabling DCache in U-Boot has nothing to do
>    with Linux, because I will switch off caches anyway before boot. I just
>    want to use DCache while read and write operations prior to calling kernel
>    boot.
now it's more clear about what you try to do

yes on arm if you want to have access to the dcache you will have to set the
MMU first.

you can also have an overhead for the memory copy due to the fact it's code in
c ad not optimized in asm

>    >but until we can take a look on the code it will be hard to known
>    Which code would help? I do not have anything yet regarding the setup. I
>    do not know where to start. For the time, I am examining CP15 coprocessor
>    manipulations in cpu/arm926, which enables/disables cache (even function
>    that you mentioned, cleanup_before_linux() is defined here).
>    In cpu/arm920t/cpu.c i found these lines, for example :

as mention precedently if you want to use the dcache you must first correctly
setup the MMU and the TLB

>    So, started digging with a hope that somebody alredy implemented this in
>    U-Boot, so I can copy/paste code in my cpu set-up, or, better yet, call a
>    set of C functions (similar to dcache_enable), to set-up MMU, and in the
>    end just call dcache_enable() to do the magic of enabling DCache.

if you want to use the dcache you must first correctly setup the MMU and the TLB

you may need to take a look on the arm1176/start.S

Best Regards,
J.

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-03-31 14:09         ` Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2009-03-31 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
>but until we can take a look on the code it will be hard to known
And I just found :
./examples/test_burst_lib.S: *    void mmu_init(void);
./examples/test_burst_lib.S:    .global mmu_init
./examples/test_burst_lib.S:mmu_init:
./examples/test_burst.c:    mmu_init();

I think I need something like this (I did not deeply inspected the code),
but for ARM (examples here are for PPC).

Similar to this example, I would first enable MMU ( call to a mmu_init() ),
then caches ( calls to dcache_enable() and icache_enable() ), then do some
read and write to a memory. Voila.

I hope that then all R/W to memory will be faster because of support of
DCache.

If anybody knows where I can find similar example (or how can I modify this
one for ARM maybe), help will be more than welcome.

Best regards,
Drasko

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-03-31 15:13           ` Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2009-03-31 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
>Honnestly we will not work on such old code. so please really consider to
>rebase it against mainline
I downloaded the last version of U-Boot and will do all my work regarding
DCache and MMU setup here.

>first you may start to think to run in XIP to avoid the copy too
I would adore to do this. Unforunately design does not allow :'(. Flash is
serially connected, so I have to drag whole god damn image byte by byte in
SDRAM before CRC check and boot (I had to change cmd_bootm.c for this to
work). This is the loop I mention before, and I would like to speed up this
long process by introducing DCache.

>now it's more clear about what you try to do
I am sorry for not being clear before, but even I myself do not quite
understand where to start...

>yes on arm if you want to have access to the dcache you will have to set
the
>MMU first.
That's what I was affraid of.

>you may need to take a look on the arm1176/start.S
Thanks for the hint! I will examine this file (now that thing are begining
to be clearer to me maybe I will understand something).

Thank you very much for your time and help.

BR,
Drasko

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2009-04-06 17:42           ` Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2009-04-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
> if you want to use the dcache you must first correctly setup the MMU and
the TLB

I set-up :
1) pagetable in the SDRAM (one master pagetable, to map all 4096 pages of
address space to map from the virtual to the same addresses in physical
address)
2) I use client domain 3
3) set up all permissions to RW
4) attached pagetable (put info about master table address into CP15 reg)

When I try to switch MMU on after all of this (in CP15 reg), u-boot blocks.

I created one command to do all this init, and in the end write into CP15
reg to switch on MMU. Is this approach OK? but for some reason, u-boot
blocks there, right after switching MMU on.

I am sure that MMU works, because I can boot Linux on the same board, and
Linux works.

With JTAG I can see that pagetable is written on SDRAM on given address, so
I suspect on permissions, but from each pagetable entry I have that domain
and access permissions as I said (domain 3 client, RW).

Do you have any idea what can be wrong and where to look?

Best regards,
Drasko

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2010-07-05  5:31 ` Lv Terry-R65388
From: Lv Terry-R65388 @ 2010-07-05  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

 Hi Rasha,

	As I know, u-boot has a weak support on mmu and cache.

	We have enabled mmu and dcache in our u-boot version.
	But I don't know what your case is.

	So I can just give you some suggestions.

	1. mmu and dcache should be enabled very early, for example, in start.S or lowlevel_init.S.
	2. Although functions in cache-cp15.c are inlined, they will be compiled as functions if you use them.
	   So you may need to modify cache-cp15.c to cache-cp15.h and modify inline functions to macros.
	3. Add flush_cache functions. This function is needed in funcion cleanup_before_linux() in cpu.c.

	Thanks~~

Yours
Terry

       [not found]     ` <20100701175458.GA14755@morgana.i.gnudd.com>
@ 2010-07-02  5:36       ` Rasha Eqbal
From: Rasha Eqbal @ 2010-07-02  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

Thank you so much for your patch. It works fine on 920T. I am able to set up
MMU without any problem.

-- Rasha

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2010-07-01 15:57 ` Alessandro Rubini
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTilN2FXWrLGTAiTAeuWDIlevjISEsvE9dsihe-xq@mail.gmail.com>
From: Alessandro Rubini @ 2010-07-01 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> I am having exactly the same problem as described here by Drasko. Once I
> enable MMU on ARM920T by setting the cp15 register 1, I get a data abort.

Would you please try my patch? I haven't tried on 920T, but it worked
well on 926.  If needed I can try on 920T, as I have one.

I sent it on Jan 26 2010.  I think it's high time to add the missing
flush and resend it, but it's in the archives anyways (message-id
<20100126161608.GA20946@morgana.gnudd.com>)

/alessandro

* [U-Boot] Enabling ARM DCache (and MMU setup) in U-Boot
@ 2010-07-01 15:35 Rasha Eqbal
From: Rasha Eqbal @ 2010-07-01 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2010-01-26 11:25 A. Geisreiter
From: A. Geisreiter @ 2010-01-26 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Drasko,

I have now the same problem. You have posted, that you have finished you're
work successfully, but I can't find a patch. Is it possible to get the
source for enable MMU and dcache?

Thanks,

Andreas