* [virtio-dev] Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface
       [not found] <20190324043339.GA1884@localhost>
@ 2019-03-24  4:51 ` vlse
From: vlse @ 2019-03-24  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio-dev

Hello,

Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface?

Projectacrn.github.io provides one virtio-audio interface for automotive sytems.

Regards,
Veera

* Re: [virtio-dev] Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface
@ 2019-03-25 13:13   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2019-03-25 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vlse, virtio-dev

On 24/03/19 05:51, vlse wrote:
> Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface?
>
> Projectacrn.github.io provides one virtio-audio interface for automotive sytems.

That's interesting to know.  It would probably be up to projectacrn to
submit virtio-audio to the committee, or at least reserve the device
number. Do you have a contact at projectacrn that can help with this?

Thanks,

Paolo

* Re: [virtio-dev] Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface
@ 2019-03-26  0:48     ` vlse
From: vlse @ 2019-03-26  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: virtio-dev

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 02:13:51PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 24/03/19 05:51, vlse wrote:
> > Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface?
> >
> > Projectacrn.github.io provides one virtio-audio interface for automotive sytems.
>
> That's interesting to know.  It would probably be up to projectacrn to
> submit virtio-audio to the committee, or at least reserve the device
> number. Do you have a contact at projectacrn that can help with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paolo

Hi,

No I don't have a contact with Project ACRN.

ACRN is a Linux Foundation Project. Initially it was by Intel.
It is a hypervisor for embedded devices.
Website is https://projectacrn.org/.

Their supported virtio-audio details:
 Vendor ID: 0x8086
 Device ID: 0x8603
 Subvendor ID: 0x8086
 Subdevice ID: 0xFFFD

Another implementation from another developer from Intel.
Website: https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/174013/
Author: Luo Xionghu <xionghu.luo@intel.com>

Comments by Author: this patch only add audio device pci registration.
                    need add audio part to call audio Backend driver later.

@ 2019-03-26  9:38       ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2019-03-26  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vlse; +Cc: virtio-dev, xionghu.luo

On 26/03/19 01:48, vlse wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 02:13:51PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No I don't have a contact with Project ACRN.
>
> ACRN is a Linux Foundation Project. Initially it was by Intel.
> It is a hypervisor for embedded devices.
> Website is https://projectacrn.org/.
>
> Their supported virtio-audio details:
>  Vendor ID: 0x8086
>  Device ID: 0x8603
>  Subvendor ID: 0x8086
>  Subdevice ID: 0xFFFD
>
> Another implementation from another developer from Intel.
> Website: https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/174013/
> Author: Luo Xionghu <xionghu.luo@intel.com>
>
> Comments by Author: this patch only add audio device pci registration.
>                     need add audio part to call audio Backend driver later.

Thanks, that's useful.  Xionghu, is there a public spec for
virtio-audio, and/or does Intel intend to contribute it to the virtio
specification?

Unfortunately device id 21 is already taken.  I'll send a patch to the
specification that reserves id 25 for virtio-audio.

Thanks,

Paolo

* Re: [virtio-dev] Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface
@ 2019-03-26 12:19   ` Jens Freimann
From: Jens Freimann @ 2019-03-26 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vlse; +Cc: virtio-dev, Matti.Moell

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 10:21:21AM +0530, vlse wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface?
>
>Projectacrn.github.io provides one virtio-audio interface for automotive sytems.

Matti, IIRC you talked about virtio-audio as well at KVM Forum
Virtio BoF?

regards,
Jens

* RE: [virtio-dev] Would there be virtio-audio spec in future for clean audio interface
@ 2019-03-26 19:51         ` Tian, Kevin
From: Tian, Kevin @ 2019-03-26 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini, vlse; +Cc: virtio-dev, xionghu.luo, Dong, Eddie, acrn-dev

CC acrn community.

There are quite some new virtio devices (audio, gpio, i2c, etc) included in
acrn project, as required in automotive/embedded usages. I know they
have plan to upstream those bits, and now might be a good time to talk
about the plan. :-)

Thanks
Kevin