* Netpoll APIs
@ 2018-07-17 13:05 jitendra kumar khasdev
From: jitendra kumar khasdev @ 2018-07-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

Can netpoll apis send data over the internet. It worked for me in local
network but when I try to send data over server which is in cloud not able
to send it.

Can anybody help me out ?

---
Jitendra
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Netpoll APIs
@ 2018-07-17 15:51 ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2018-07-17 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 18:35:15 +0530, jitendra kumar khasdev said:

> Can netpoll apis send data over the internet. It worked for me in local
> network but when I try to send data over server which is in cloud not able
> to send it.
>
> Can anybody help me out ?

If it works over the local net, time to do the standard network debugging:

Does ping work to/from your cloud target?
Does traceroute look sane?
Does ssh/scp work?
Are your routing tables correct at both ends?
Is a firewall blocking it somewhere?
Does 'netstat' show a program listening for your packets at the far end?
@ 2018-07-17 17:40   ` SeyedAlireza Sanaee
From: SeyedAlireza Sanaee @ 2018-07-17 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

I have a question on netpoll and I think it is a good opportunity to ask my
question in this thread,

I have always wondered what is the use cases of netpoll anyway?

Some months ago, I was designing a caching mechanism within the network
stack. I was just polling in NF_IP_PRE_ROUTING and check some keys in my
hash map if it is HIT then I will respond to the incoming request from the
kernel via NETPOLL without engaging the real key-value store(Memcached) in
the userspace! In miss cases I only let the request go through the kernel
network stack and the Memcached application will respond to the request
individually. I only update my hash my with respect the outgoing message
in NF_IP_POST_ROUTING. I intended to reduce the latency of the key-value
stores' requests at the data centers since these key-value stores are
widely deployed in the data center at Facebook and Google.

In my scenario, I only used netpoll as a hack to make my code working
though, however, I never figure out, what problem netpoll intended to solve.

Thank you,
Alireza

@ 2018-07-25 19:36   ` jitendra kumar khasdev
From: jitendra kumar khasdev @ 2018-07-25 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks, I am able to resolve the issue. Issue was in routing.

---
Jitendra