* MLS telnet question
@ 2010-04-09 12:02 Benedict, Phillip M
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Benedict, Phillip M @ 2010-04-09 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Hello,

I am trying to come to a solution regarding the use of telnet on our MLS system. ( I know, ... the decision to use it was made above me ) . :(

What we have is a RHEL 5.3 system with the RedHat MLS policy installed.
The system has multiple physical NICs attached to different networks.
Each network is designated for it's own sensitivity level. ( so we might have one network for s1:c20, one for s2:c40 etc...)
User accounts are created with sensitivity labeling via semange. ( so we might have: user1 with s1:c20, and user2 with s2:c40 etc... )
The network does not carry any cipso data for evaluation by my server, so I don't think I can use netlabel.

Questions:
If I use IPTables/SECMARK to apply sensitivity labels to the packets as they come into the system, will xinetd spawn the telnet session with a matching sensitivity?  ( currently the telnet sessions are spawned at SystemLow-SystemHigh )
If telnet is spawned with the appropriate sensitivity, will SELinux disallow a users login who do not have  a matching sensitivity?

Thanks,
Mike Benedict

* Re: MLS telnet question
@ 2010-04-13 15:21 ` Daniel J Walsh
From: Daniel J Walsh @ 2010-04-13 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benedict, Phillip M; +Cc: selinux

* Re: MLS telnet question
@ 2010-04-13 16:18 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2010-04-13 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benedict, Phillip M; +Cc: selinux, Daniel J Walsh

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 08:02 -0400, Benedict, Phillip M wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am trying to come to a solution regarding the use of telnet on our
> MLS system. ( I know, … the decision to use it was made above me ) . L
>

> What we have is a RHEL 5.3 system with the RedHat MLS policy
> installed.
>
> The system has multiple physical NICs attached to different networks.
>
> Each network is designated for it’s own sensitivity level. ( so we
> might have one network for s1:c20, one for s2:c40 etc…)
>
> User accounts are created with sensitivity labeling via semange. ( so
> we might have: user1 with s1:c20, and user2 with s2:c40 etc… )
>
> The network does not carry any cipso data for evaluation by my server,
> so I don’t think I can use netlabel.
>

> Questions:
>
> If I use IPTables/SECMARK to apply sensitivity labels to the packets
> as they come into the system, will xinetd spawn the telnet session
> with a matching sensitivity?  ( currently the telnet sessions are
> spawned at SystemLow-SystemHigh )

No.  iptables/secmark labels are only used for access control checks;
they are not "peer contexts" unlike NetLabel or labeled IPSEC.

xinetd.conf does have a LABELED flag that can be used to cause a tcp
non-waiting service to be created in the same context as the connecting
client, but that will only work if using a labeled networking mechanism

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

* Re: MLS telnet question
@ 2010-04-13 16:42 ` Michal Svoboda
From: Michal Svoboda @ 2010-04-13 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Benedict, Phillip M wrote:
>    The network does not carry any cipso data for evaluation by my
>    server, so I don’t think I can use netlabel.

You can use the fallback label feature that can assign labels statically
per remote IP.

Michal Svoboda

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: MLS telnet question
@ 2010-04-13 21:54   ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2010-04-13 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benedict, Phillip M; +Cc: Michal Svoboda, selinux

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 12:42:36 pm Michal Svoboda wrote:
> Benedict, Phillip M wrote:
> >    The network does not carry any cipso data for evaluation by my
> >    server, so I don’t think I can use netlabel.
>
> You can use the fallback label feature that can assign labels statically
> per remote IP.

NetLabel fallback/static label example configuration:

 * http://paulmoore.livejournal.com/1758.html

--
paul moore
linux @ hp

* RE: MLS telnet question
@ 2010-04-14 12:23     ` Benedict, Phillip M
From: Benedict, Phillip M @ 2010-04-14 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore; +Cc: Michal Svoboda, selinux

Thanks, I will take another look at Netlabel's fallback/static labeling.
So how can I verify if my kernel (the default RHEL 5.3 kernel 2.6.128) has Netlabel support?
Also I currently have separate ssh daemons running at certain sensitivities (runcon) and bound to specific IP addresses (separate sshd_config files). Will fallback labeling impact my ssh setup?

Thanks
Mike

@ 2010-04-14 13:04       ` Michal Svoboda
From: Michal Svoboda @ 2010-04-14 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Benedict, Phillip M wrote:
> Also I currently have separate ssh daemons running at certain
> sensitivities (runcon) and bound to specific IP addresses (separate
> sshd_config files). Will fallback labeling impact my ssh setup?

I would say that each sshd will be only able to communicate with equally
labeled peers.

@ 2010-04-14 14:30       ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2010-04-14 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benedict, Phillip M; +Cc: Michal Svoboda, selinux

On Wednesday 14 April 2010 08:23:02 am Benedict, Phillip M wrote:
> Thanks, I will take another look at Netlabel's fallback/static labeling.
> So how can I verify if my kernel (the default RHEL 5.3 kernel 2.6.128) has
> Netlabel support?

While the RHEL5.x kernels have NetLabel support, it is very basic as it
predates most of the labeled networking improvements that have been made in
the past years.  Unfortunately, this means that the fallback/static peer label
feature is not part of RHEL5.

> Also I currently have separate ssh daemons running at
> certain sensitivities (runcon) and bound to specific IP addresses
> (separate sshd_config files). Will fallback labeling impact my ssh setup?

You'll need to be more specific about what you mean by "impact".

Will NetLabel affect how you bind the multiple SSH daemons?  No.  Will
NetLabel affect how the SSH daemons are labeled?  No.  Will NetLabel allow you
to assign peer labels to incoming SSH traffic?  Yes.  Will this mean I'll need
to change my SELinux policy to add the necessary controls?  It depends.

@ 2010-04-14 17:34         ` Benedict, Phillip M
From: Benedict, Phillip M @ 2010-04-14 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore; +Cc: Michal Svoboda, selinux

Thanks,

	So one more question if you please...
	I seem to recall reading something to the effect of Labeled IPSEC only working between two or more Linux/SELinux systems.

	Can Labeled IPSEC be configured to apply static labels to incoming packets?

Thanks,
Mike Benedict

@ 2010-04-14 18:33           ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2010-04-14 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benedict, Phillip M; +Cc: Michal Svoboda, selinux

On Wednesday 14 April 2010 01:34:11 pm Benedict, Phillip M wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> 	So one more question if you please...
> 	I seem to recall reading something to the effect of Labeled IPSEC only
> working between two or more Linux/SELinux systems.

Yes, labeled IPsec only works between two SELinux systems running the same, or
very similar policies.

> 	Can Labeled IPSEC be configured to apply static labels to incoming
> packets?

No.

--
paul moore