* rdepends = "python3-modules" in recipe does not install python3-modules in image
@ 2018-01-05 16:41 Matt Schepers
From: Matt Schepers @ 2018-01-05 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Folks,

I have a .bb file for a setuptools based python program I am installing to my image. The python program needs a large subset of what's available in the python standard library and therefore I need to install "python3-modules" in my image to get the python interpreter to work.

This is my recipe:
---------
DESCRIPTION = ""
HOMEPAGE = ""
SECTION = "telspan"
LICENSE = "CLOSED"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://LICENSE;md5=17a6b3d5436a55985b200c725761907a"

SRC_URI = "file://iguFpga-${PV}.tar.gz"
#SRC_URI[md5sum] = "f004f429cf22feff845e18b0addc05d6"

inherit setuptools3

#still necessary to put python3-modules in IMAGE_INSTALL ? is this a bug?
RDEPENDS_${PN} += "python3-modules python3-setuptools python3-setuptools-native"
DEPENDS_${PN} += "python3-modules python3-setuptools python3-setuptools-native"
---------

This does not install "python3-modules" to the image. When this builds, my python program does not work because of missing dependencies on the standard library.

To get this to work I have to go in and append "python3-modules" to IMAGE_INSTALL in my top level image recipe.

I thought that the purpose RDEPENDS was to install the correct runtime dependencies to the image? Why doesn't this work?

* Re: rdepends = "python3-modules" in recipe does not install python3-modules in image
@ 2018-01-05 18:38 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-01-05 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Schepers, yocto

On 01/05/2018 06:41 PM, Matt Schepers wrote:
> This does not install "python3-modules" to the image. When this builds, my python program does not work because of missing dependencies on the standard library.
>
> To get this to work I have to go in and append "python3-modules" to IMAGE_INSTALL in my top level image recipe.
>
> I thought that the purpose RDEPENDS was to install the correct runtime dependencies to the image? Why doesn't this work?

Probably because the binary package is called something else than PN?

Alex

* Re: rdepends = "python3-modules" in recipe does not install python3-modules in image
@ 2018-01-06 18:00   ` Matt Schepers
From: Matt Schepers @ 2018-01-06 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: yocto

How do I check what PN is set to? I can see users-dbg.rpm and users-doc.rpm in the rpm folder. The recipe name is users.bb

Thanks,
Matt

@ 2018-01-07  9:33     ` Alan Martinovic
From: Alan Martinovic @ 2018-01-07  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Schepers; +Cc: yocto

You can try
    bitbake users -e | grep PN
or
   bitbake users -e | vim -

and then search for PN inside vim

@ 2018-01-07 12:10     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-01-07 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Schepers; +Cc: yocto

On 01/06/2018 08:00 PM, Matt Schepers wrote:
> How do I check what PN is set to? I can see users-dbg.rpm and
> users-doc.rpm in the rpm folder. The recipe name is users.bb

If the recipe is named users, then PN is most likely users as well.

-doc and -dbg are supplementary packages. What is the main package
called? You can look for it in the rpm directory for example.

Alex

* Re: rdepends = "python3-modules" in recipe does not install python3-modules in image
@ 2018-01-09 18:45       ` Matt Schepers
From: Matt Schepers @ 2018-01-09 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: yocto

For this recipe the base package is called users.rpm and I can see it in the RPM. Using 'bitbake users -e | grep PN' I was able to find that PN is also set to users, which seems correct.

However the recipe does not install python3-modules even though it's specified in RDEPENDS. I can get it to work by forcing python3-modules in the IMAGE_INSTALL variable, but this is not how I expect yocto to work based on the documentation.

@ 2018-01-10 10:36         ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-01-10 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Schepers; +Cc: yocto

On 01/09/2018 08:45 PM, Matt Schepers wrote:
> For this recipe the base package is called users.rpm and I can see it in the RPM. Using 'bitbake users -e | grep PN' I was able to find that PN is also set to users, which seems correct.
>
> However the recipe does not install python3-modules even though it's specified in RDEPENDS. I can get it to work by forcing python3-modules in the IMAGE_INSTALL variable, but this is not how I expect yocto to work based on the documentation.

Then you need to inspect the user.rpm file using the rpm toolset, and
find out whether python3-modules is indeed in package dependencies.

Alex