From: Martin Armsby on GMX <m.armsby@gmx.de>
To: alsa-devel@alsa-project.org, perex@perex.cz, o-takashi@sakamocchi.jp
Subject: Motu 896Mk3Hybrid dump
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2023 12:54:38 +0100	[thread overview]

On 30.01.2023 14:19, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (C.C.ed to administrator of alsa-devel mailing list)
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 12:40:06PM +0100, M. Armsby wrote:
>>     Hi Takashi,
>>     I'm writing direct because I cannot seem to get a post on AlsaDevel
>>     list.
> I've realized your two posts, but no reaction since they have no message
> body:
>
> * Firewire ALSA Motu and Phase24
>      * https://lore.kernel.org/alsa-devel/sokos1-r6xj933yn42y-hmy3gsrfgsma-mnwe9a-cahiug-3btbiljo1il7-8lhisz-trzq63b9es27-41z6o2wylkgf-tjvaeo3olqkz-elr571-us6u4977mlo1-p2gxkncmroem-foujcu-jg85lg-sqi612.1674640678660@email.android.com/
> * Firewire Motu ALSA (Re-post)
>      * https://lore.kernel.org/alsa-devel/v6inx6-fwmr0r-kvajcd-kfs8u9l6m2qn2cnogd-2odpkz-d7vadu94fw76-iv1ohfsnh0nxdhq3hl-irmx6t-3alyitjtt3oq-m2jt5z8uktj3-1khriq-w6pr0c-bitxl26qa5mx-sc4dcno22ycq-2x7a4f.1674740730928@email.android.com/
>
> Jaroslav, would I ask your opinion for the problem which perhaps dropped
> the message body from his messages?
>
>>     I need to repair my two Phase X24 (defekt caps?) and I'm having
>>     problems with Traveler and other Motu interfaces on Linux.
>>     Thanks for any hints or where I should post.
>>     Here's  a copy of my post:
>>     Hello everyone!
>>     Thank you for all the hard work on this.
>>     Especially Mr. Takashi Sakamoto.
>>     I'm an experienced studio engineer and was a Beta tester for Samplitude
>>     for years.
>>     Not a programmer and have very little experience with Linux.
>>     So please excuse me blundering in on this professional programmer forum
>>     but I'm hoping my experience will help somehow to find bugs. I'll
>>     provide any information I can or test following instructions.
>>     I really would love to completely change over to Linux but I need
>>     reliable drivers.
>>     How can I help?
>>     Here's my experience so far.
>>     Around November I started testing Linux for audio as I have
>>     occasionally over the last years. I was pleased to find Manjaro and
>>     Sparky would detect Traveler Mk1 and Mk3 and to run so efficiently
>>     compared to Win10.
>>     But things would freeze.
>>     Reaper has a long standing Midi bug so it was difficult at first to see
>>     why my laptop would freeze on occasion.  I dissabled hardware midi in
>>     the software.
>>     Then I updated Sparky beginning of December and to my surprise Firewire
>>     didn't work anymore. The Firewire stack must have been removed.
>>     I use:
>>     Dell Laptops 4310, 6510, M4800
>>     Tested platforms Ardour and Reaper using Pianoteq 8
>>     No JACK
>>     Manjaro Kernel from 6.0 rc4? and 6.1.1 work for a limited time.
>>     Sparky only works with special kernels Xanmod1 6.1.7-x64v2 but the
>>     audio is completely distorted.
>>     CachyOS Kernel 6.2 rc4 sounds good.
> [...]
Ok, Im pleased to help with the drivers for Motu 896 Mk3 Hybrid
I followed your instruction and dumped an .img
Just for comparison I also dumped an .img for Traveler Mk1
These are both in the zip file - (or how would ou like it)
The img seems ver small - I hope it's usefull :)

BTW
Manjaro update with Kernel 6.2.Rc6 is running very well with Terratec
Phase24 and both Motu Travelers.
Not perfeclty but I was able (for the first time) to edit productions
using Reaper for over an hour with no problem!

Note:
Traveler have wrong output numbering.

Cheers,

Martin