* [lustre-devel] LibCFS and LNET module versions
@ 2019-01-25 13:26 Degremont, Aurelien
From: Degremont, Aurelien @ 2019-01-25 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Hello,

All Lustre modules uses the Lustre version as their module version except for lnet and libcfs modules. Is there a specific reason to that?

These version are hardcoded and never change. Tools like dkms could think some libcfs modules are the same because the version is the same but actually it changed a lot.
Until we decide to properly manage a real version for these modules, could it be possible to also use Lustre version for them?

Aur?lien
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [lustre-devel] LibCFS and LNET module versions
@ 2019-01-31 17:46 ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2019-01-31 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

> All Lustre modules uses the Lustre version as their module version except for lnet and libcfs modules. Is there a specific
> reason to that?

The idea here is that lnet/libcfs is really an independent layer from
lustre. In theory other sub systems could use it. Its true we don't
really have a numbering system. Suggestions?

@ 2019-02-01 10:32   ` Degremont, Aurelien
From: Degremont, Aurelien @ 2019-02-01 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

?Le 31/01/2019 18:47, ? James Simmons ? <jsimmons@infradead.org> a ?crit :

    > All Lustre modules uses the Lustre version as their module version except for lnet and libcfs modules. Is there a specific
    > reason to that?

    The idea here is that lnet/libcfs is really an independent layer from
    lustre. In theory other sub systems could use it. Its true we don't
    really have a numbering system. Suggestions?

This is what I thought, but that really means we should bump the version from time to time.

If this is a separate "product" it should have its own release, and so be bumped every time there is changes/new features.

Let's say, at short term, LIBCFS_VERSION = LUSTRE_VERSION. When LNET will starting being used as a separate software, starting updating this value independently.
Ok with that? I can open a ticket if you think that's good.

Aur?lien