* Will pv-ops dom0-patched kernel be eventually merged into Linus Torvalds' mainline Linux kernel tree?
@ 2009-11-10  5:29 Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
From: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) @ 2009-11-10  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, xen-users; +Cc: space.time.universe

After reading the following articles, it doesn't sound very hopeful for Xen.

[1] Xen vs. KVM: Verdict still out on dueling hypervisors
http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci1368664,00.html

[2] Xen vs. KVM Linux virtualization hypervisors
http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid94_gci1371226,00.html

[3] Xen vs. KVM: The Linux Foundation’s Small-Minded View of Virtualization
http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/brad/archive/2009/04/17/xen-vs-kvm-the-linux-foundation-s-small-minded-view-of-virtualization.aspx

What are your views? I certainly hope that pvops dom0 patches would be
merged into the mainline Linux kernel.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)

* Re: Will pv-ops dom0-patched kernel be eventually merged into Linus Torvalds' mainline Linux kernel tree?
@ 2009-11-10  6:27 ` Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
From: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) @ 2009-11-10  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, xen-users; +Cc: space.time.universe

One of the reasons why I prefer Xen over KVM is because of networking.

I have a Gigabit network card on my Intel DQ45CB motherboard. I don't see a
need to install an additional network card on my motherboard as PCI and PCIe
expansion slots are limited.

In the case of Xen, the physical network interface in my host operating
system (dom0) and the virtual network interfaces in my guest operating
systems (domU) can be added to the same ethernet bridge on the host OS. This
implies that my host and virtual machines will have IP addresses in the same
subnet. Moreover, if I do not want to configure static IP addresses, my
virtual machines (VMs) can obtain IP adddresses from the DHCP server on
commercial routers like Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc, similar to the way
the physical network card on the host obtaining its IP address from the same
router.

But, for the case of KVM, I need to setup an internal network for my guests.
This implies that my guests will use a different subnet from the host. In
order for my guests to have internet connectivity, I need to create an
ethernet bridge on the host OS and configure it as the default
gateway/router for my guests. Then I need to setup source network address
translation (SNAT) for the virtual network interfaces in my guests. The
virtual network interfaces in my virtual machines cannot obtain IP addresses
from my Linksys, D-Link, Netgear routers. If I want to run services like
HTTP servers on my guests, I need to setup destination network address
translation (DNAT) *twice*, first from my commercial router to my host OS,
but my host is also a router for the internal network of my virtual
machines, hence I have to port forward a second time from my host OS to my
guest machines.

Fortunately, in the case of Xen, I would only have to setup DNAT once, from
the commercial router to my virtual machine.

For the purpose of my argument for Xen vs KVM networking, please refer to
the following article:
Qemu (kvm) internal network
setup<http://blog.cynapses.org/2007/07/12/qemu-kvm-internal-network-setup/>Link:
http://blog.cynapses.org/2007/07/12/qemu-kvm-internal-network-setup/

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)
Alma Maters:
(1) Singapore Polytechnic
(2) National University of Singapore
My Primary Blog: http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com
My Secondary Blog: http://enmingteo.wordpress.com
My Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
Email: space.time.universe@gmail.com
Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
Country: Singapore

@ 2009-11-10  9:35   ` Itamar Reis Peixoto
From: Itamar Reis Peixoto @ 2009-11-10  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming); +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

you can setup kvm networking as bridge like xen.

will work both in the same way.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> [...]
>>
>> [3] Xen vs. KVM: The Linux Foundation’s Small-Minded View of
>> Virtualization
>>
>> http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/brad/archive/2009/04/17/xen-vs-kvm-the-linux-foundation-s-small-minded-view-of-virtualization.aspx
>>
>> What are your views? I certainly hope that pvops dom0 patches would be
>> merged into the mainline Linux kernel.
>>
>> --
>> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
>> Engineering)
>> Alma Maters:
>> (1) Singapore Polytechnic
>> (2) National University of Singapore
>> My Primary Blog: http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com
>> My Secondary Blog: http://enmingteo.wordpress.com
>> My Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
>> Email: space.time.universe@gmail.com
>> Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618

------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto

e-mail/msn/google talk/sip: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
skype: itamarjp
icq: 81053601
+55 11 4063 5033
+55 34 3221 8599

* Re: Re: Will pv-ops dom0-patched kernel be eventually merged into Linus Torvalds' mainline Linux kernel tree?
@ 2009-11-10 15:36   ` Freddie Cash
From: Freddie Cash @ 2009-11-10 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming); +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
<space.time.universe@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the reasons why I prefer Xen over KVM is because of networking.
>
> I have a Gigabit network card on my Intel DQ45CB motherboard. I don't see a
> need to install an additional network card on my motherboard as PCI and PCIe
> expansion slots are limited.
>
> In the case of Xen, the physical network interface in my host operating
> system (dom0) and the virtual network interfaces in my guest operating
> systems (domU) can be added to the same ethernet bridge on the host OS. This
> implies that my host and virtual machines will have IP addresses in the same
> subnet. Moreover, if I do not want to configure static IP addresses, my
> virtual machines (VMs) can obtain IP adddresses from the DHCP server on
> commercial routers like Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc, similar to the way
> the physical network card on the host obtaining its IP address from the same
> router.
>
> But, for the case of KVM, I need to setup an internal network for my guests.

Bzzzt!  Incorrect.  KVM supports the exact same networking methods as
Xen.  In fact, it's a lot simpler to setup bridged networking in KVM
then in Xen, as KVM uses the default network configuration scripts of
the host OS.

In Debian, it's as simple as editing /etc/network/interfaces, creating
the bridge configuration in there, and then pointing /etc/kvm/kvm-ifup
to use that bridge.

Xen 3.0 used to be this simple, and the bridge device was separate
from the physical interface.  Then in Xen 3.2 everything changed, and
it became a royal pain to configure as the physical interface was
renamed, and the first interface with an IP was used as the bridge
device, completely breaking setups where you have a management
interface with an IP, and separate interfaces for the bridge(s).
(Yes, I know it's possible to work around this, but it broke existing
setups, and changed things for no good reason.)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com

* Re: [Xen-devel] Will pv-ops dom0-patched kernel be eventually merged into Linus Torvalds' mainline Linux kernel tree?
@ 2009-11-10 15:41 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2009-11-10 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming); +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:29:00PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>    After reading the following articles, it doesn't sound very hopeful for
>    Xen.
>
>    [1] Xen vs. KVM: Verdict still out on dueling hypervisors
>    [1]http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci1368664,00.html
>
>    [2] Xen vs. KVM Linux virtualization hypervisors
>    [2]http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid94_gci1371226,00.html
>
>    [3] Xen vs. KVM: The Linux Foundation*s Small-Minded View of
>    Virtualization
>    [3]http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/brad/archive/2009/04/17/xen-vs-kvm-the-linux-foundation-s-small-minded-view-of-virtualization.aspx
>
>    What are your views? I certainly hope that pvops dom0 patches would be
>    merged into the mainline Linux kernel.

Jeremy will have a speech about pv_ops dom0 status at the XenSummit Asia
2009 this month.

I guess then we'll know more about the plans :)

http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2009/11/04/xen-summit-asia-2009-event-information-released/

-- Pasi

* Re: Will pv-ops dom0-patched kernel be eventually merged into Linus Torvalds' mainline Linux kernel tree?
@ 2009-11-10 15:58   ` Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
From: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) @ 2009-11-10 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel, space.time.universe, xen-users

I hope there will be a live telecast from Xen Summit Asia 2009 in Shanghai,
China so that we can all tune in.

--

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:29:00PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> wrote:
> >    After reading the following articles, it doesn't sound very hopeful
> for
> >    Xen.
> >
> >    [1] Xen vs. KVM: Verdict still out on dueling hypervisors
> >    [1]
> http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci1368664,00.html
> >
> >    [2] Xen vs. KVM Linux virtualization hypervisors
> >    [2]
> http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid94_gci1371226,00.html
> >
> >    [3] Xen vs. KVM: The Linux Foundation*s Small-Minded View of
> >    Virtualization
> >    [3]
> http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/brad/archive/2009/04/17/xen-vs-kvm-the-linux-foundation-s-small-minded-view-of-virtualization.aspx
> >
> >    What are your views? I certainly hope that pvops dom0 patches would be
> >    merged into the mainline Linux kernel.
> >

> Jeremy will have a speech about pv_ops dom0 status at the XenSummit Asia
> 2009 this month.
>
> I guess then we'll know more about the plans :)
>

> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2009/11/04/xen-summit-asia-2009-event-information-released/
>
> -- Pasi

* Video/Audio stream from XenSummit Asia 2009 ?
@ 2009-11-10 16:02     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2009-11-10 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming); +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users, Stephen Spector

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:58:16PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>    I hope there will be a live telecast from Xen Summit Asia 2009 in
>    Shanghai, China so that we can all tune in.

Maybe Stephen Spector can comment about that.. would be really nice to have some
video (or at least audio) stream!

-- Pasi

>    On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[5]pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>      On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:29:00PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
>      wrote:
>      >    After reading the following articles, it doesn't sound very hopeful
>      for
>      >    Xen.
>      >
>      >    [1] Xen vs. KVM: Verdict still out on dueling hypervisors
>      >
>       [1][6]http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci1368664,00.html
>      >
>      >    [2] Xen vs. KVM Linux virtualization hypervisors
>      >
>       [2][7]http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid94_gci1371226,00.html
>      >
>      >    [3] Xen vs. KVM: The Linux Foundation*s Small-Minded View of
>      >    Virtualization
>      >
>       [3][8]http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/brad/archive/2009/04/17/xen-vs-kvm-the-linux-foundation-s-small-minded-view-of-virtualization.aspx
>      >
>      >    What are your views? I certainly hope that pvops dom0 patches would
>      be
>      >    merged into the mainline Linux kernel.
>      >

>      Jeremy will have a speech about pv_ops dom0 status at the XenSummit Asia
>      2009 this month.
>
>      I guess then we'll know more about the plans :)
>
>      [9]http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2009/11/04/xen-summit-asia-2009-event-information-released/
>      -- Pasi

* Re: Video/Audio stream from XenSummit Asia 2009 ?
@ 2009-11-10 16:08       ` Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
From: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) @ 2009-11-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen
  Cc: xen-devel, space.time.universe, xen-users, Stephen Spector

And maybe video conferencing as well so that remote audience not physically
at the Summit can ask questions too :-)

--

@ 2009-11-10 16:12       ` Stephen Spector
From: Stephen Spector @ 2009-11-10 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Pasi Kärkkäinen', Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
  Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

>>    I hope there will be a live telecast from Xen Summit Asia 2009 in
>>    Shanghai, China so that we can all tune in.
>>

> Maybe Stephen Spector can comment about that.. would be really nice to have some
> video (or at least audio) stream!

I have been unable to get my Linux machine accept my Video/Audio Camera and am looking for alternatives. Also, I have a list of requirements that will need to be available (e.g. ports) from Intel in China.

We are going to tape the entire event and post a few days afterwards but I am trying to get a live stream.

Thanks.

Stephen Spector

* Re: Video/Audio stream from XenSummit Asia 2009 ?
@ 2009-11-10 16:13       ` Boris Quiroz
From: Boris Quiroz @ 2009-11-10 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen
  Cc: xen-devel, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming), xen-users, Stephen Spector

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:58:16PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>>    I hope there will be a live telecast from Xen Summit Asia 2009 in
>>    Shanghai, China so that we can all tune in.
>>

> Maybe Stephen Spector can comment about that.. would be really nice to have some
> video (or at least audio) stream!

I talked with Stephen few days ago, and looks he's trying to setup some
kind of ustream.tv service but he has to check with people at Intel
facility about the internet connection and everything else.

> -- Pasi
>
>>    On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[5]pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>>      On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:29:00PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
>>      wrote:
>>      >    After reading the following articles, it doesn't sound very hopeful
>>      for
>>      >    Xen.
>>      >
>>      >    [1] Xen vs. KVM: Verdict still out on dueling hypervisors
>>      >
>>       [1][6]http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci1368664,00.html
>>      >
>>      >    [2] Xen vs. KVM Linux virtualization hypervisors
>>      >
>>       [2][7]http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid94_gci1371226,00.html
>>      >
>>      >    [3] Xen vs. KVM: The Linux Foundation*s Small-Minded View of
>>      >    Virtualization
>>      >
>>       [3][8]http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/brad/archive/2009/04/17/xen-vs-kvm-the-linux-foundation-s-small-minded-view-of-virtualization.aspx
>>      >
>>      >    What are your views? I certainly hope that pvops dom0 patches would
>>      be
>>      >    merged into the mainline Linux kernel.
>>      >

>>      Jeremy will have a speech about pv_ops dom0 status at the XenSummit Asia
>>      2009 this month.
>>
>>      I guess then we'll know more about the plans :)
>>
>>      [9]http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2009/11/04/xen-summit-asia-2009-event-information-released/
>>      -- Pasi

* Re: [Xen-devel] RE: Video/Audio stream from XenSummit Asia 2009 ?
@ 2009-11-10 16:40         ` Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
From: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) @ 2009-11-10 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Spector; +Cc: xen-devel, space.time.universe, xen-users

What is the brand/model and interface of your digital video camera?

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)
Alma Maters:
(1) Singapore Polytechnic
(2) National University of Singapore
My Primary Blog: http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com
My Secondary Blog: http://enmingteo.wordpress.com
My Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
Email: space.time.universe@gmail.com
Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
Country: Singapore

@ 2009-11-10 17:58     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2009-11-10 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Freddie Cash; +Cc: xen-devel, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming), xen-users

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 07:36:37AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> <space.time.universe@gmail.com> wrote:
> > One of the reasons why I prefer Xen over KVM is because of networking.
> >
> > I have a Gigabit network card on my Intel DQ45CB motherboard. I don't see a
> > need to install an additional network card on my motherboard as PCI and PCIe
> > expansion slots are limited.
> >
> > In the case of Xen, the physical network interface in my host operating
> > system (dom0) and the virtual network interfaces in my guest operating
> > systems (domU) can be added to the same ethernet bridge on the host OS. This
> > implies that my host and virtual machines will have IP addresses in the same
> > subnet. Moreover, if I do not want to configure static IP addresses, my
> > virtual machines (VMs) can obtain IP adddresses from the DHCP server on
> > commercial routers like Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc, similar to the way
> > the physical network card on the host obtaining its IP address from the same
> > router.
> >
> > But, for the case of KVM, I need to setup an internal network for my guests.
>
> Bzzzt!  Incorrect.  KVM supports the exact same networking methods as
> Xen.  In fact, it's a lot simpler to setup bridged networking in KVM
> then in Xen, as KVM uses the default network configuration scripts of
> the host OS.
>
> In Debian, it's as simple as editing /etc/network/interfaces, creating
> the bridge configuration in there, and then pointing /etc/kvm/kvm-ifup
> to use that bridge.
>
> Xen 3.0 used to be this simple, and the bridge device was separate
> from the physical interface.  Then in Xen 3.2 everything changed, and
> it became a royal pain to configure as the physical interface was
> renamed, and the first interface with an IP was used as the bridge
> device, completely breaking setups where you have a management
> interface with an IP, and separate interfaces for the bridge(s).
> (Yes, I know it's possible to work around this, but it broke existing
> setups, and changed things for no good reason.)

With Xen, you can, and have always been able to, use your distro
provided network configuration scripts/methods.

Just disable the default Xen network-bridge script, and do it yourself.
No need to have Xen scripts do the renaming etc.

@ 2009-11-11 15:20         ` Stephen Spector
From: Stephen Spector @ 2009-11-11 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Pasi Kärkkäinen',
	'Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)'
  Cc: 'xen-devel@lists.xensource.com',
	'xen-users@lists.xensource.com'

Everyone, we will not be able to stream live the event from Intel China next week due to Port and Security issues. I will start working soon with AMD to try and have this issue taken care of right away so we can stream Xen Summit North America in April. Thanks.

Stephen Spector